Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,294 users have contributed to 42,289 threads and 255,038 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

i love samplemodeling instruments as they need no keyswitches at all to play musically

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff. What exactly do you mean by the term "samplemodelling"?

• Samplemoeling is a company that produces virtual instruments.

• [quote=Saxer]

That's easy to solve. Just make sure that the KS are legato, and then no matter where you click, there is a note active. TBH if you only use a few KS it probably doesn't matter, but I sometimes have 4 or 5 a bar for bars on end, and that would be a nightmare using separate tracks per articulation.

DG

• good idea! i must try that! thanx!

• last edited
    last edited

@Saxer said:

good idea! i must try that! thanx!

I also have a macro that shrinks the KS to a short length and puts me in Step Input mode, so all I have to do to enter a new KS is:

1. Hit Macro KS
    2. Click where I want the KS
    3. Enter the KS
    4. Bit Macro again (it is a toggle) and everything is back to being legato (with a slight gap, to avoid 2 note ons active at the same time.

Using this system means that it is really quick to enter incredibly complicated patterns, and saves having multiple MIDI Key editors open at the same time.

DG

• Daryl,

Are you using the macro to step through and then clicking your Lemur to actually input the KS?  Or are you manually entering the KS?  Why not setup your own VST Expression map and let it do it for you?  Or are you using a combination of the macro plus the VI PRO Midi input system to type in your KS?

I am interested in seeing this macro in action.  I am always looking for the fastest possible way to enter patch changes.

Maestro2be

• Button on Lemur enables Macro

KS entered by touching the correct button on the Lemur

Button on Lemur switches Macro off.

VST Expression is too basic for my needs.

DG

• @Saxer:

I was wondering, apart from DS, what other intruments did you use in the FirstView piece?

Obviously there's a piano, but there's also a hint of a harp (SE Harp?) if I'm not mistaken at about 1:00.

• Hi, I love your templates! Is it possible to get my hands to it? :-) :-) Cheers, -N.

• Now that I use the Ipad to control Vienna Ins, I've changed keyswitching to cc 12 and use the Ipad to switch. Now all samples play correctly no matter where I start. 

• The intimacy and expression possibilities of Dimension strings  is great but setting up for a newby Vsl is a minefield . Is there anywhere one can download some user presets , especially ones like this ?

• last edited
    last edited

Very good template. I especially like the part from ca. 0'44'' onwards.

For those interested to hear further examples of DS in action - you can take a listen at Wagner and Mozart examples here. Both were done when only DS Violins were available, but they should give you a good impression of what is possible when combining DS with other VSL string libraries. Wagner example employes Orchestral & Solo Strings in addition to DS Violins, Mozart example employes Chamber Strings (for a smaller and more period performance-like playing and sound style).

• Absolutely great examples, Goran.

• Hi Saxer, are you any closer to wanting to share this template? plus 1 for contacting you directly

• oh, hi there everyone

you can download my patches here. they are done in 'vienna instrument pro' and will be online for a week or so (depending on the provider).

http://we.tl/YpZCFB1ECH

they are named with the number of players, section and divisi (A+B). basses are not included (i didn't have time to add them after they were published). i would be happy if someone could add them to the template (non-divisi) and upload them!

have fun!

• Thanks so much . Would you mind also adding a snapshot of your arrange page and mixer page in your daw  to see how this works ( or if you are on logic a template song even better . Hope I am not being greedy .

• there's nothing special in the mixer that i wouldn't do with any other strings

http://imageshack.com/a/img571/9162/yyom0.jpg

• Cool , thats great . Thats all I wanted to see . I also see you werent using MIR  or Mirx. for positioning  . Is that because you dont like the sound ? I like it for positioning but not reverb which sounds a bit harsh in my experience compared to others like Altiverb etc..The only thing I dont know now is whether its worth bothering with setting up Dimension strings with seperate players each postioned differently in mir . Obviously the workload in setting that up would be  intense so probably not . A final question I have is why are the legato patches playing polyphonically . ie to achieve a portamento at low velocity you have to be careful to not hold onto the 1st note too long otherwise you will here both . And a final request , any chance of uploading the vepro viframe . When I have the basses I will add them to the template and resend . Thanks again ps your demos and string arranging are fab . 

• last edited
    last edited

@molemac_824 said:

A final question I have is why are the legato patches playing polyphonically...

they just do, i did no extra edit for that. but i like it. sometimes it's nice to try out a chord while arranging... i had no problem with polyphonic notes when playing monophonic lines.

• last edited
    last edited

@Stephane Collin said:

Absolutely great examples, Goran.

Thank you, Stephane, I am very, very pleased with how these turned out myself...