Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,204 users have contributed to 42,282 threads and 255,008 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• Paul R states that films today are shit so the music is shit. 

that is not true in the case of Dark Knight, and Dark Knight Rises which are powerful, maybe truly great films. And this is what disturbs me.  The music is so trite and cliched that I am repelled from the film. 

I then think of the nice elfman score for the older Batman, and how that approach  - real musical scoring - would have resulted in this particular case - right now - in a truly great combination of music and film.  But that is not possible now since everything is "sound design."

Guess what - MUSIC IS SOUND DESIGN.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

What on earth has Hollywood got to do with art?

It should!!!

• Yes agreed - music is sound design, but traditional european composition and orchestration technique does not equal all of music.

Interesting debate that I see in book publishing all the time - does a highly popular mass market fiction title have more value than a sophisticated fine art literary work that sells few copies but wins literary awards? Answer: it depends who you ask. If you ask the public, they couldn't care less, they just "like what they like". if you ask a skilled literary writer they'll say mass market fiction is crap. If you ask a publisher, they'll say without mass market fiction sales they wouldn't be able to support their more artistic fine literature titles. Perhaps if flim makers had the same moral sense (and perhaps some do) to use the profits from box-office cash cows to fund some high quality projects, we could be a little more at peace with it.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

that is not true in the case of Dark Knight, and Dark Knight Rises which are powerful, maybe truly great films. And this is what disturbs me.  The music is so trite and cliched that I am repelled from the film.

Here the problem is not Hans Zimmer - the problem is you. The Dark Knight made $1 billion and was highly acclaimed by audiences and critics alike. If you really break it down, there are only 2 purposes for a film like that:  to make money and to satisfy the consumers of popular entertainment so that they'll spend money on associated products and future installments of the franchise. By these two measures alone, it was a total success. Obviously the music did not hold it back.

Now, I'm not saying that you should like the music, or that the music is particularly great. What I'm saying is this: why should anyone expect Zimmer's music (or the modern soundtrack in general) to sound any different? Time and time again, Hans Zimmer has come in and done his thing, and the movies have made billions of dollars. If you're in the business of film, and you share the two goals outlined above (making money, satisfying consumers) you look at that and you say "Get me Hans Zimmer..." or more likely "Get me someone who sounds like Hans Zimmer." That's where we are now, with regard to mainstream commercial cinema.

There are filmmakers who actually want to have good/interesting music in their films, and there are composers who can give it to them, but that music doesn't necessarily appeal to you. That's because FILM has changed, and so has MUSIC. The creative and market forces that would dictate using a Korngoldian score do not exist right now. That style was most prominent at a time when that type of music was a popular type of music. Since then, film composers have learned that recorded music, as a medium, is not just for capturing musicians in a room, but in fact allows you to put a magnifying glass over particular sounds. When music was only transmitted via musical notation, composers had little control over timbre other than by choosing the instrumentation and hoping for the best. But once composers wrapped their heads around the ability to set a single specific sound in stone, timbre began to take over from tune as the dominant paradigm. Synthetic instruments have increased the timbral palette exponentially. A film soundtrack today could be created by banging on empty paint cans with microphones inside them. Is it music? I'm not sure. Is it great Sunday afternoon listening? Definitely not. Could it be the best approach to scoring a particular film? Absolutely. The music you like is of a time, and that time is past. The default approach to scoring is no longer "get 50 musicians and write 20 great tunes." There are infinite ways of exploring the merger of sound and image. I do think that it's a shame composers don't try out a few more of those ways, but don't forget who's calling the shots most of the time: businessmen.

And I'll say this to anyone who loves great music: why the hell would you go looking for great music in film scores? Sure, there are a few good ones, but there are literally centuries worth of great pieces that have nothing to do with movies - why look for musical satisfaction in some hokey studio picture starring some hokey thespian?

PS, I work in the film industry in a creative (non-musical) capacity

PPS, the Dark Knight Rises is irredeemably bad and no score could change that.

• last edited
    last edited

@clamnectar said:

And I'll say this to anyone who loves great music: why the hell would you go looking for great music in film scores?

Because it should be like that. Because Prokofiev (film music originator and one of the most emulated composer in film industry!), Rozsa, Herrmann composed like that. Because of Williams.

• I do not have a facebook account. I do not have a twitter account. I don't even like coming onto forums and making statements of any kind. I have been in the cinema when the film was so utterly boring that sporadic fighting broke out in the stalls and spread to the circle just to relieve the whole thing.

Hans did the music to a film I enjoyed but can't rember the name of hitherto. It was about a bloke and his girlfriend. True Romance. Funny film.

Some of the low budget films put on in the 60's (a lot of them were black & white) usually British, were so bad, audiences just put up with it. What I can't stand about a lot of films over time is the fucking bollocks political points the writer/director is trying to get across. Usually left wing. What film scoring has to do with any of that I really can't say.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I do not have a facebook account. I do not have a twitter account. What I can't stand about a lot of films over time is the fucking bollocks political points the writer/director is trying to get across. Usually left wing.

We share many traits Paul...

The argument regarding films having changed since Korngold's days is both right and wrong. The Star Wars prequels, the first three Harry Potter, and Cinema Paradiso are not that old, but they feature some of the best music ever to grace film, and they form a straight line of inheritance/evolution from the Korngold era. Film music has changed; but out of aesthetic choices and sensibilities, or out of inability to follow the steps of giants? Both the so called Sound Design and the symphonic treatment in many films these days are hilarious and so below par that it must mean something.

Also, when I go to the movies I do look for great concept, great writing, great direction, great photography, great acting, great set design, etc. Of course I don't get it all at once, but as a musician why wouldn't I also be looking for great music in film?

• I have a large Golden Retriever named Waldo. Every once in a while he grabs his ball, runs to the fence and snarls while shoving his ball up against the boards, causing the three hounds on the other side to start baying.  I just realized -

I am Waldo. 

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

I have a large Golden Retriever named Waldo. Every once in a while he grabs his ball, runs to the fence and snarls while shoving his ball up against the boards, causing the three hounds on the other side to start baying.  I just realized -

I am Waldo. 

Yes, me too it seems. I don't deny for one moment how great the traditional films scores of the past were, but I'm hoping that my age, preferences and background don't close my eyes to the future possibilities using today's tools. Out of interest, how does Dave Grusin's score to "The Firm" rate on your radar?

• Not all films are great but some have unusually great scores. For example, The Challenge and First Blood. The second of those two films is arguably puerile in the extreme, but the score is great.  Jerry Goldsmith was so talented he could lift this type of crap to a false level.

The second recent Batman film made me want to puke and I forgot it 10 minutes after I watched it

• I think Grusin's score for The Firm is one of the finest scores I know.

• last edited
    last edited

@clamnectar said:

the problem is you.

Oh, no!  I knew it!

Waldo made me do it.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

PS, I work in the film industry in a creative (non-musical) capacity

And if you actually do, you ought to learn a little more about the art of film music.  Because it is an art form though people like you deny it. 

• It's pointless so never mind. 

• I watched Hobo with a Shotgun the other evening. Fantastic!

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I watched Hobo with a Shotgun the other evening. Fantastic!

I'm a bit confussed here Pual.  You watched a flick called "Hobo" with a shotgun in your hand?  They let you in the theater with a shotgun? 

Or you watched a flick called "Hobo with a Shotgun"[:^)]

• It's called 'Hobo with  a Shotgun'. It's basically Batman on a very low budget with an excruciating score. In fact, every about it is excruciating. Fantastic stuff! Are you saying you've never seen or heard of it? [|-)]

• Hi,

I don't think there is an answer to the question the OP posted here. 

Funny... I don't even think Mr. Zimmer knows what his best score would be.  

We all have different perceptions, tastes, evaluations, standards, ...etc. when it comes to music and film scores.  So, imho. no one can seriously answer this question.  I'm a big fan of Mr. Zimmer's scores, they all show his wonderful talent as a very creative, cutting-edge film composer who likes to ventures into new areas of composing for media, and does it with his unique sonic signature, and with a lot of style. 

Cheers,

Muziksculp 

• You know one thing Plato neglected to mention in The Republic, was that 'the' cave also had a basement...

By the way, Beowulf is dead.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Mr. Zimmer's scores, they all show his wonderful talent as a very creative, cutting-edge film composer who likes to ventures into new areas of composing for media, and does it with his unique sonic signature, and with a lot of style. 

But sadly you're mistaken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0395mzs/BBC_Proms_2013_Season_Proms_on_Four_John_Wilsons_Hollywood_Rhapsody/