Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,079 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,977 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• I haven't found any problematic transitions either, like I said, their quality-control is great.

• Garylionelli

What an eloquent and diplomatically worded post.   I could not have put it better, and I totally second your thoughts and senitments.   VSL's QC is second to none - I've honestly never found a bad transition or a tuning issue in any of their libraries (I have most of them).

The issue is one of style, technical evolution and flexibility.  Legato programming is an area of the market that Vienna should own, and at the moment, it's not quite happening IMHO.   I fully accept that part of this comes down to personal taste, and that the small section size in Dim Strings also has a bearing, but I can't help feeling that if enough users are not wowed by the sound, then it might be worth looking at.

Conquer, I think you many have misunderstood the message being conveyed.  Nobody is suggesting any transitions are broken.

• Hi Trailerman, DG's statement "I don't want to hear holes between start and destination notes, and lumpy transitions" suggested to me that something was broken.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I agree with that. In fact, I would go further. I think that the legatos need to be re-edited, because I don't think that they are of the same quality as the rest of VSL String libraries.

Interesting, because for me the DS legatos work better than any other string collection we have produced.

best

Herb

This is exactly what I thought about Dimension violins as soon as I heard the sound, which is why I don't understand this bizarre thread. 

I will post some more music instead of blabbering. 

• I'm very glad you removed your original comment William.  Don't know if that was a sudden rush of blood to the head, but it was just way off the mark.

Most if not all of the people posting here with concerns, are absolute VSL devotees, not to mention a number who are involved in VSL's own QC system, so the suggestion that we/they are paid trolls is ridiculous.  Believe it or not, there are lost of furms where the debate and the motives are absolutely genuine.  I consider this to be one of them.

Jules

• I admire the civilised tone of this forum, and am glad that most participants have the grace to "agree to disagree" when conflicts of opinion arise. I feel the DS legatos are the equal of the legatos in all the other VSL string libraries (which I own), and while I respect other users' opinions on their usability, I am very surprised that anyone would suggest they are in some way below par. In my book, they are the best in the business and work superbly well.

At the risk of straying slightly off topic, one thing I particularly like about VSL legato patches (and this applies to all the instrument families) is that if you sustain a note and rapidly reiterate a second note, you get a trill-like effect as the sustained note continually re-sounds. The same technique can be used to create very realistic grace notes. How many other orchestral libraries offer that particular legato facility?

• last edited
    last edited

@Trailerman said:

I'm very glad you removed your original comment William.  Don't know if that was a sudden rush of blood to the head, but it was just way off the mark.

Most if not all of the people posting here with concerns, are absolute VSL devotees, not to mention a number who are involved in VSL's own QC system, so the suggestion that we/they are paid trolls is ridiculous.  Believe it or not, there are lost of furms where the debate and the motives are absolutely genuine.  I consider this to be one of them.

Jules

• last edited
    last edited

@Philippe BAYLAC said:

Hi William,

do you mean http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/34656.aspx ?

Best.

Phil.

Yes, ha-ha, wrong link.  I now only respond with music.  No words.  However this went wrong so an explanation is needed. 

By the way this Forum should only allow replies in music.  That way it will stay completely civilized.  Though it might get a little loud.  

• F#!