Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,437 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,075 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• Hi Corte,

thank you for your feedback and it's nice to know that you like the arrangement. Sorry, I should have explained though, that this is for an actual performance for a Xmas CD that I am being employed to write the arrangements for, so there is a soprano soloist, and there is also going to be a part written for a tenor soloist also and they will be singing above the piano part for the recording. I  suppose what some people would call this is a "midi mockup", so if I was using the Soprano choir for a mockup, I would definitely have to put in some breathing space for them. I was just playing along with my piano track and playing the Soprano VI without actually thinking about putting spaces for breathing in there.

I am thinking though, that your suggestion would be a good idea for another version of the piece.  I do have the full version of the VSL solo strings also.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback Corte.

best,

Steve[:D]

•  Hello Steve,

every time I listen to the intro I hear snow gently falling...

Good luck with your work,

Sebastian

• Hi Sebastian,

thank you for the encouraging feedback.  I'm glad it stimulates your imagination to come up with a scene like that!'

best,

steve [:)]

• Great composition and piano playing. One of my favorite traditional Christmas hymnals. Thanks for sharing... 

• Thank you Jake for the positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed the music.

best.

Steve[:)]

•  Steve

Your arrangement of Silent Night sounds great and I would like to hear the final version.

For what its worth here are some comments:

don't over complicate the piece - over arangement can destroy the serene simplicity of the piece;

re change of key for last verse " don't do it"  Bach, Mozart and Beethoven would never do it;

Boy Bands  do it  - as they stand up and walk towards the camera - and  it is absolutely "mince" - that is a  light hearted Scottish saying for  "rubbish"

Regards

Kanon

• Hi Kanon,

thank you for your reply and advice. I also had someone else tell me not to do a key change at the end either, so with your advice also reinforcing the same thing, I have decided not to do the key change. I'm aiming to keep this as simple as possible. For the recording, it will only be two voices, a soprano and tenor, and I will be adding some very light strings, and a few other very light instrumental colours. That is where it is going to be a challenge - to not overdo it.

thanks again for your comment and feedback. I do appreciate that!

best regards,

• Hi  Steve

your arrangment was interesting and since we're approaching Christmas i thought if you have an updated or even a final version to share? i would like to hear that :)

• Hi Mayyar,

sorry, I have no update for the file, as there are other things I have been working on.However, I would like to do another version, but, I don't know if I will get it done before xmas though due to other things taking my time unfortunately.

If I do manage to get another version done, I will post the new file for you to listen to.[:)]

Thanks and best,

Steve [:)]

• beautiful harmonisation! love it! just the two chords at 2:34 and 2:36 sound a bit like "you are leaving the american sector" :-)

• Hi Saxer,

thank you for listening and the feedback. If you are curious, I can let you know what the chords are. Ffrom my memory,  the first one  isa d minor over b minor, with the melody note in the right hand moving down in semitones, [a half diminished type harmony over a B], and the second chord folowing that is a F minor over an E in the bass, which then moves to an A minor chord next, and to a D major 7th chord with a melodic minor harmonies over the top.

Thanks again for the positive feedback. I'll be getting around to orchestrating this soon for the CD.

best,

Steve.

• Hello Steve

I  listened to your arrangment days ago for more than once, and i wanted to tell you that i appreciate it a lot more than wheni first heard it, i don't know why, but i just realized the workk you've put in it, i loved it, it is GOOD!! i loved the harmony!

• Hi Mayyar,

thank you kindly for the feedback. I do appreciate that you enjoyed the music.

best,

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on