Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,016 users have contributed to 42,641 threads and 256,692 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

a 64bit VI is currently passing testing cycles ... stay tuned

thanks christian. Forgive me for being slow but I would still need Logic 9 (64 bit) if I want to exceed the 2-3 GB RAM limit? Right? Or would this be possible in Logic 8 (32 bit) as well with 64bit VI?

btw, I'm on OS X 10.6.2

Actually this is a very good question. Historically VI has worked the same as VE on OSX, using memory outside of the host. If this is still the case with the 64bit version of VI, it seems it would be possible to use the same connector method, enabling you to use a 32bit host, but with this 64bit plug. However, as many Logic users already complain about having an extra click with the current method (poor darlings [;)]), it may well be that it should be hosted the same way as most normal plugs, requiring the 64bit version of the sequencer.

DG

• [quote=DG]However, as many Logic users already complain about having an extra click with the current method (poor darlings

It's not just Logic users DG, it's any sequencer on the Mac.

• GRRRRRReeeaat News !!!!!!! [Y]

• last edited
    last edited

@Chuck Green said:

[quote=DG]However, as many Logic users already complain about having an extra click with the current method (poor darlings

It's not just Logic users DG, it's any sequencer on the Mac.

Yeah, but it's the Logic users who are whining.  [:P]

DG

• Yea,

That would make sense now that Logic is 64-bit. -- Full memory use and the need for a VSL Instrument GUI that reacts like the native Instrument Interfaces.  Things are looking up.

• last edited
    last edited

@Chuck Green said:

Yea,

That would make sense now that Logic is 64-bit. -- Full memory use and the need for a VSL Instrument GUI that reacts like the native Instrument Interfaces.  Things are looking up.

IMO there also needs to be a feature, like with VE Pro, in all sequencers (does this already exist in DP?)where there is an option to keep samples loaded whilst changing projects. I have experienced the "oh dear I closed the project by mistake" error, costing half an hour of re-loading, so that's why I moved on from VI/VE to VE Pro.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

IMO there also needs to be a feature, like with VE Pro, in all sequencers

Agree.....

• Whine whine whine whine whine whine whine.....  (uses Logic).  I might have to start a crusade of Logic Whiners and get black hoodies with mascot names on the back and chase down those bully Cubase/Nuendo users.....

Be afraid, we have infinite whinning powers...  And there are many of us...  Strength in numbers!

Maestro2be

• The irony of you and Chuck being amongst the least whiny of Logic users is not lost on me. [Y]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

a 64bit VI is currently passing testing cycles ... stay tuned

thanks christian. Forgive me for being slow but I would still need Logic 9 (64 bit) if I want to exceed the 2-3 GB RAM limit? Right? Or would this be possible in Logic 8 (32 bit) as well with 64bit VI?

btw, I'm on OS X 10.6.2

Actually this is a very good question. Historically VI has worked the same as VE on OSX, using memory outside of the host. If this is still the case with the 64bit version of VI, it seems it would be possible to use the same connector method, enabling you to use a 32bit host, but with this 64bit plug. However, as many Logic users already complain about having an extra click with the current method (poor darlings ), it may well be that it should be hosted the same way as most normal plugs, requiring the 64bit version of the sequencer.

DG

I just received this reply from VSL support:

"We are currently finalizing our tests for the next update of Vienna Instruments, which is going to be 64-bit.

To answer your question: yes, it is going to be possible to instantiate Vienna Instruments 64-bit in a 32-bit host sequencer and still have access to all the RAM installed on your computer!"

Good news! [:)]

• [quote=Albert S]We are currently finalizing our tests for the next update of Vienna Instruments, which is going to be 64-bit.

Christian,

For us Logic 64-bit users, will the interface respond like the native Logic instruments and the current Spectrasonics 64-bit instruments with a single click or will there still be a server window that one will need to navigate through first before opening the instrument interface?

• sorry, i haven't see it so far but i'll forward the question to paul ... 

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thank's Christian....

• Hi Chuck,

in the near future, the server window will still be there, just as it is now.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thank's Paul,

Are you saying that in the far future that it will not?