Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,306 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,041 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• combined safari & richtext editor issue ... changed the settings for content editor to enhanced in your profile now ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

combined safari & richtext editor issue ... changed the settings for content editor to enhanced in your profile now ...

christian

Hmm, could you uh, do that for mine too? :^) I have to admit, it would be nice to have the security of using an audio interface on the slave computer, since like many here I've had some problems with audio dropout. Still, how cool is it to have it all coming back to the same place (in the sequencer)? I have a digital console but if I didn't, having a separate interface would be problematic for sure. I just wish the audio over LAN was more trustworthy... oh well, here's to it getting better and better as we move forward! :^)

• last edited
    last edited

hth, christian

• Cool, thanks Christian!

• last edited
    last edited

@joseherring said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any plans to do this.  I want to use the midi over lan feature in VEPro but I want to lightpipe the audio back to the DAW.  Audio over Lan is driving me crazy.  Too unstable.  Too much latency for any serious work.  But, instead of buying Midi over Lan I'd like to use VEPro as both a midi over lan app and a standalone vst host.

Thanks,

Jose

I haven't had any dropout problems and find the latency fine. There have been a few posts from people with "dropout' issues anf I find this a little troubling. How are you folks using VE Pro, i.e. how many simultaneous voices, what vstis etc.?

I basically use several instances of Kontakt (3.5) on a 64 bit Ve Pro instance (decoupled) for large piano and orchestral libraries and a second 32 bit instance for Superior 2 and varios synths (not decoupled).

• Using the 32bit with 5 instances of Kontakt 3.5.  Run a test for me if you would.  I tested the system over serval days by just using a single patch of an 8 bar sustained looped over and over.  Every 3 to 10 minutes I'd get a noticable dropout.  In actuall practice it would drop out every 15 to 20 minutes.  I just can't take it.  I know for many that this would probably be fine, but I just can't handle it.  Makes me doubt every mix I do thinking that I've recorded a pop or dropout, ect.....

• Just to clarify. I thought this thread didn't relate to midi over lan as a discete function. It relates to still being able to control the remote client via the VST over lan method (server/client) but being able to bring the audio through the clients local sound card.

The main aim of the game is sample accurate timing whilst avoiding the problems associated with returning the audio down the lan.

The thread title should read something like Using local sound card whilst in client mode.

In my opinion if midi over lan is covered by MOL or ipMidi programs then a working composer can go out and buy it if they need it. I own MOL for this purpose. Whilst it would be a convienient and economical feature to have midi over lan in VE Pro as well it's not breaking new ground or addressing sample accurate timing, which no product has done in this way.

Midi nor any future hybrid by its very serial nature will never achieve this. There has to be a time stamped loop so that latency can be dynamically compensated for. Only then can sample accurate timing and perfect tempo sync be achieved in the client.

• An excellent idea to be sure.  I hadn't really thought it through.  I just got Ipmidi and am using VEPro in standalone mode.  But, retaining the features of client mode whilst (I love that word) using Adat or Madi to bring the audio back would really be the best of both worlds.  Though I'm sure you'd lose some of the conviences of client mode in the processes.

Jose

• last edited
    last edited

@bcslaam said:

The main aim of the game is sample accurate timing whilst avoiding the problems associated with returning the audio down the lan.

question: how would the timing be accurate if the method of sending (MIDI) and receiving (audio) information is not only different but also decoupled (by design)? there is nothing like an ADAT wordclock for MIDI or a MIDI (beat) clock for ADAT.

somewhere in the chain (at least on the *track output* of the sequencer) MIDI is involved not beeing able to send 2 informations at the exactly same time - possibly VE PRO does this *serialization* better as MoL, i don't know.

but maybe just i still don't get the point - VE PRO sending both over LAN actually would allow latency compensation on the host, but also using ADAT for audio return would require some latency compensation due to buffer settings.

christian

• Currently in server/client mode, as far as I know, midi isn't used. Its some kind of vst/au data stream that is timestamped. What I'm proposing is we still utilise that stream so that sample accuracy is maintained but with one of two modifications if possible:

1. Only the neccesary header data thats timestamped is returned to master server. Omitting the dense audio data from the LAN but sending it to the client soundcard. Thus maintaining the latency feedback loop to the master. This timing data will have to incorporate the extra buffers required to send the stream thru the client sound card.

2. Leaving the entire data flow as is, ie audio data is returned down LAN - in server/client mode but...addtionally, copying the audio data stream to the local client soundcard whilst incorporating the neccessary adjustments in the return back to the server to compensate for client soudcard latency. Then you can just mute or turn down the host return.