Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,305 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,041 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• The libraries in 'epic orchestra' are some of VSL's best.  Looks like a very good deal.

• Hi,

VE PRO will work on Intel only (OS X).

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi,

VE PRO will work on Intel only (OS X).

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul ,

is this true for both  VE Pro-Slave  and  VE Pro-Host ???

Best ,

Gerd

• Hello Gerd,

it doesn´t look like this will be possible.

Best,

Paul

• Hi Paul,

Cm mentioned in June that PPC would be supported for the host (obviously the slave is a different matter)

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/21776/149346.aspx#149346

What changed? Would be a serious blow if couldn't have the host PPC ( i have a PC i7 slave) using VE3 currently...... (i know the PPC is dead.....but bought ve3 thinking an upgrade to ve pro would run on PPC)

Cheers

Paul

• Hi again,

as I said, this is what it looks like at the moment. We are still working on it, so it might as well change. I understand your concern, let´s see if we can tackle this - it´s really a development decision.

Best,

Paul

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I've always used Logic but couldn't face the current price tags for a New Macpro. (Hence the PC i7). Would be interest to see how many other people currently use PPC as hosts for VE3.......anyone else out there??......

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi again,

as I said, this is what it looks like at the moment. We are still working on it, so it might as well change. I understand your concern, let´s see if we can tackle this - it´s really a development decision.

Best,

Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul !

Sure , meanwhile PPC is a dinosaur . But it is also  a rock-solid system for quite a lot producers out there ,

still working with their PT7 & Logic 7 setup . 

It would be great if VSL could release at least one VE Pro-Host version for PPC ,

even if this version won't get any major update in the future .

Thanks in advance

Best

Gerd

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

The libraries in 'epic orchestra' are some of VSL's best.  Looks like a very good deal.

I tottaly agree.

But i wonder how big this library is, how many GB? Would it be possible for VSL to answer that?

Thank you.

• Hello,

that´s absolutely possible, Anonymous Joe, and the product page is already in preparation and will be online soon.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest, everybody!

Best,

Paul

• The Epic Orchestra pack looks like mostly previously released samples, except "Woodwinds Ensemble".  I've never seen that before....

• PLEASE tell me that it will host on a PPC!!! My host is a G5...this would be devastating if it doesn't (I suddenly am feeling a bit nauseous)

• Brian, I think the 'Woodwinds Ensemble' is the ensembles in the Woodwinds I collection.

• I planned to buy a new Mac Pro as a VE slave, but to keep the sequencer (DP 5.13) on my good old G5 quad, so I'd GREATLY appreciate that the *host* plugin still runs on PPC. Please, please, please...

• Indeed .. I would also love to have VE Pro available to my G5. As I said in another post .. the chance to be able to host my aging EW library and VSL together would be great. Since I can't use the EW on my new Intel Macs.

Surely the G5 can't be so bad. It was rated as an extremely powerful chip at one point. It's even a 64 bit chip !!! Would be nice to make some more use out of this. especially with the VSL.

• I think there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE out there who bought a new mac pro during the last year and who now want to use their "old" G5 PPC (mine is a dual core after all) as a vienna and 3rd party plug in slave. so PLEASE consider making this update not "intel-only"!!! I think it would pay off!  there was also no info about this on the VE-Pro Preview page. that's why i bought the "VE 3" two weeks ago. it would be a huge disappointment!!

by the way: i bought every single instrument/library you released (except the new vienna imperial and solo strings 2)!!!

• Hhmm, would it be possible to run VE 3 on my slave G5 (as I do today) and VE PRO on my MacPro? Or does the upgrade to VE PRO overwrite the VE 3 on the Mac Pro?

/Thomas

• last edited
    last edited

@fs_18397 said:

I think there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE out there who [...] want to use their "old" G5 PPC [...] as a vienna and 3rd party plug in slave. 

I doubt so, it makes a lot more sense to use a G5 dinosaur as the main DAW and a modern Intel computer as a slave for virtual instruments. Normally the virtual instruments need much more RAM and CPU than the sequencer.

I for myself would like to continue using my old G5 (Digital Performer 5.13 and Mac OS X 10.4.11, a very stable combination) as the main DAW and use a Mac Pro as a VE Pro slave. I suspect lots of people are in a similar situation. So it would make sense to only make the tiny plugin that connects to VE Pro PPC-compatible.

Pitt

• last edited
    last edited

@fs_18397 said:

I think there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE out there who [...] want to use their "old" G5 PPC [...] as a vienna and 3rd party plug in slave. 

I doubt so, it makes a lot more sense to use a G5 dinosaur as the main DAW and a modern Intel computer as a slave for virtual instruments. Normally the virtual instruments need much more RAM and CPU than the sequencer.

I for myself would like to continue using my old G5 (Digital Performer 5.13 and Mac OS X 10.4.11, a very stable combination) as the main DAW and use a Mac Pro as a VE Pro slave. I suspect lots of people are in a similar situation. So it would make sense to only make the tiny plugin that connects to VE Pro PPC-compatible.

Pitt

Let me put it this way: i KNOW a lot of composers doing major film projects who work the way i described. especially if you want to work with logic 9 (intel only) in the future. I don't want to argue with you. i just want the guys at vsl to develop their software the "right" way. so please don't interfere with my comment! no offense!

• Please!! VE 3 Pro to run as a host on my G5 PPC ....

Only as a HOST. I have one PC as slave.

Possible????