Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,769 users have contributed to 42,320 threads and 255,158 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• i too am using DP as my main axe triggering EXS in Logic on a second mac.
    so far so good. as i am SPDIFed into an O3d i have no problems with latency. at this point i am testing several macs (cube 450, Tibook 1 gig and cube 1.2gig) to see which one works the best. as i am a cube fan and it is quiet, if i can get it to do the job then that is what i will use. so far so good.
    As i can't stand the Logic interface i am trying to do the least interaction with it.

ron

• Someone needs to say it here: I like Logic very much, despite its initially awkward interface. I'm not saying it's better or worse than DP as a sequencer (because I don't think one is better than the other - and I have both), but it does have some excellent features for dealing with large libraries - advantages that I'm way too lazy to post again.

Too much dissing here for me!

• Nick.

At least in my case, what I'm dissing here is someone tackling a new sequencing program when they are already familiar with a very good one. Particularly when they are facing a few learning curves already and can achieve their aims with much less hassle. I've considered going over to Logic myself so it's not like I hate the program, but I'll stay with DP for now for the same reasons I recomended to dnb.

Don't I owe you a salad?

Dave Connor

• I agree with that: don't try to switch sequencers when you have to finish five hours of music by the morning.

But at least one nameless person (whose name is Evan Evans) was twitching at the very mention of Logic's name, so I appointed myself the official job of saying that there are people who really like Logic even though it's not perfect.

The perfect sequencer would have 1/4 of Logic, DP, Nuendo, and Pro Tools - the best quarter of each. And no bugs, and instant feature updates every time someone requests one. [:)]

• Salad is good.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

The perfect sequencer would have 1/4 of Logic, DP, Nuendo, and Pro Tools - the best quarter of each. And no bugs, and instant feature updates every time someone requests one. [:)]
    Wow, you obviously never tried StudioVisionPro. Feature updates came so fast we were worried that the programming team had too much time on their hand and they were going to go BANKRUPT! By the last version there were no more bugs than any other finely programmed OS9 proggy. And it was so good that it had 0% of all those apps you mentioned. That's how good it was. It didn't need to steal or copy. it was pure originality.

Evan Evans

• I tried SVP, in fact I still have it.

But I was limiting my list to live programs.

• I still keep a copy around on a machine running OS8 to do advanced MIDI editing - the generated sequences feature is something I've used a lot, and the way you can paste MIDI info between sequences using the pitch information of one and the rhythm of another is FANTASTIC. I don't think this can be done in other sequencers (but I don't know DP - is it possible?)

Will anyone resurrect this programme?

best,
    John

• Nick,

Ok. [;)] Fair enough.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@evanevans said:

Wow, you obviously never tried StudioVisionPro. Feature updates came so fast we were worried that the programming team had too much time on their hand and they were going to go BANKRUPT! By the last version there were no more bugs than any other finely programmed OS9 proggy. And it was so good that it had 0% of all those apps you mentioned. That's how good it was. It didn't need to steal or copy. it was pure originality.

Evan Evans

I couldn't agree more Evan. I was dedicated SVP user from '91 until they pulled the plug. It was a sad day when I forced to move. I first went to Logic, did one film in logic (pulled my hair out the entire time) and although I did use the notation in Logic to print out score parts for orchestra, and it was pretty good at that, it was a painful experience. I spent more time stumbling around a million menus looking for simple commands than writing. I was so exhausted by the experience that I started looking for something else.
    That drove me to use DP, which even on my first use was quick and easy. Man I wish other progs worked as well as SVP did.

• TripIt,

I feel your pain. DP is the second most logical sequencer out there (behind SVP). it's pretty darn good, but it still takes an extra click or two to do what was one click or no click (hover) in SVP.

If someone could've gotten me the core code to SVP I am sure by now I could have ported it to OSX. Actually I have gotten all the way to the tracks window ready to sequence with it in OSX before (in classic mode). There were probably just some extra libraries and some class exceptions that needed to be trapped and I could have had it running in OSX.

I have been left at sea. Trying to stay alive by hanging onto an oil tanker that's leaking. Ever searching for my salvation. keep your fingers crossed about LOGIC 7. Maybe it will be a big step in the right direction.

Evan Evans