Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,384 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,499 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 66 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@nafai23 said:

haha..I knew it would get ugly...time for me to leave

I see alot of you are from the UK...talk the people in Les Miserables in london that are about to lose there jobs being replaced half by a virtual orchestra because the producers profits are not enough for those summer homes in tuscany. They have families..most of them are at the highest level of musicianship....they are gone...no job...

Nafai,

It hasn't turned ugly - this forum contains people who are passionate about what they do and you have to except that people may disagree with you. Technology has been puting people out of work for centuries. I don't think it's a good thing - I had a TV gig last year that involved using an orchestra. When the producers heard the VSL mock-ups I had to be quite persuasive in getting them to go ahead with using the real thing. I agree people are losing their jobs, but I don't think that I would have a job in music without this technology - so it's also creating them as well......

Andy.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Nobody cares that anyone went to this or that music college.

Now wait a minute. I went to California State University at Long Beach (kind of like your Liverpool Paul - harbor town) doesn't that count for something? Someone has got to be impressed with that - please...

No takers huh?

Well they got lots of nice boats down there. Big ones too. In fact the Queen Mary is there. How come we Yanks always end up with old bloated British cast-offs?

Am I off topic btw?

Dave Connor

P.S. Paul, any good musicians ever come out of Liverpool?

• Dave, you´re brilliant! Always good for a great laugh! [:D]

• quote]

Dave Connor

P.S. Paul, any good musicians ever come out of Liverpool?[/quote]

Cilla Black [*-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@"dpcon Now wait a minute. I went to California State University at Long Beach (kind of like your Liverpool Paul - harbor town) doesn't that count for something? Someone has got to be impressed with that - please...P.S. Paul, any good musicians ever come out of Liverpool?[/quote said:

[quote="dpcon Now wait a minute. I went to California State University at Long Beach (kind of like your Liverpool Paul - harbor town) doesn't that count for something? Someone has got to be impressed with that - please...P.S. Paul, any good musicians ever come out of Liverpool?

Hugely impressed Dave!

At the risk of making Bill catatonic, I seem to remember a band from Liverpool... Freddie & the Dreamers?

I'm not even going to mention the college I went to out of deference to Dave. [6]

I see alot of you are from the UK...

That makes about as much difference as you not coming from the USA. Call it a hunch.

What point are you trying to make here? I will ask you for the third and final time. Do you use the VSL library, and if you do, what do you use it for? If you can't answer a simple question, I'm going to have to assume you are in fact a dullard.

• nafai et al, let me silently step in with some comments ...
    i see the same shortsighted view here as in other spheres - it's not about what it might destroy, it's about what it might create. times are changing - rapidly, continously - if you don't go with it, you're lost. on the other hand it doesn't say you should not conserve the real values. that leaves us with the question - what are the real values.
    unrelated possibly but not irrelevant. this fits to all spheres ....
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • "it's not about what it might destroy, it's about what it might create."

cm - f***ing a.

You are so right.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Hugely impressed Dave!

At the risk of making Bill catatonic, I seem to remember a band from Liverpool... Freddie & the Dreamers?

Wow,

Very important artists.

Do they have any VSL demos here I can give a listen to?

Dave Connor

P.S. mathis - always my pleasure.

• The greatest musicians of the twentieth century came fom Liverpool.

sorry, Raiph, Gustav, Igor, Bernard and Dmitri...

• One other thing, and this is not for Nafai23 whom I no longer will respond to but for any respectable musician who might read this -

We are not trying to put classical musicians out of work! I am one. All my friends are also. We make no money these days, so we want to start making a little. Samples give us musicians another way of making money, not depriving them - I am recording right now a solo violin piece using both samples and a live player. The idea that sampling classical musicians puts them out of work is ludicrous. They were already put out of work, long ago. We are now trying to recover, and things including sampling are helping us. Symphony orchestras are having problems because they can't get audiences who want Britney Spears instead of Beethoven, not because of brilliant sample orchestral recordings like Andy's, eager to capture every nuance of Debussy. God bless every person who ever does that!

• Absolutely William! You tell them.

Besides, musicians are just composer's slaves! [8o|]

I'll be glad when I can do it all myself ... THE RIGHT WAY!

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

The greatest musicians of the twentieth century came fom Liverpool.

Here it is folks: The best post I've ever seen on the forum - no kidding.

Dave Connor

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Cilla Black

And Clint Black.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

The greatest musicians of the twentieth century came fom Liverpool.

...Ken Dodd and of course his Diddymen [H]

• As a matter of fact, Cilla Black in her younger days.............had very nice legs. [8-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

[quote=PaulR] In fact the Queen Mary is there. How come we Yanks always end up with old bloated British cast-offs?

Elizabeth Taylor?

• last edited
    last edited

@nicks@aubergine.co.uk said:

[quote=dpcon][quote=PaulR] In fact the Queen Mary is there. How come we Yanks always end up with old bloated British cast-offs?

(a) I didn't post that and (b) Elizabeth Taylor is American

• Born in Hampstead, London in 1932. Close enough for me - I didn't know her parents...

• last edited
    last edited

@nicks@aubergine.co.uk said:

Born in Hampstead, London in 1932. Close enough for me - I didn't know her parents...

Good Lord. So was my mother. Do think they're related? [I]

Oh, for God sake Nicks@selectionofvegetables.com, Evan Evans was born on Alpha Centauri in 1847, but he's still an American! [6]

PaulR (English with Scottish, Austrian and German Ancestry)

• That explains a lot about Evan... [[:|]]