Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Questions about how you guys finance your studio

I just have a bunch of questions about how you guys pay for the stuff in your studio, and mainly, how did you start out?

When you were beginning did you just make a list of what you needed and take out a loan for it all and hoped that some jobs would come your way?

Did you compose some grand masterpiece on a GM Orchestral Keyboard and have someone else pay for you to get gear?

Did you buy it piece by piece working full time at McDonald's?

How do your wives feel about all the money that has to be spent on your studio, does she understand that you need to drop $2000 on some good strings or does every purchase put you closer to a divorce?

If anyone has any great stories about how they started out, I would love to hear them.

• I bought my first compact duo tiger combo organ after saving from pizzas for 2 years.
    My first piano was very old and a gift from an aunt.
    I bought my brand new Kawai KG5 grand piano after 2 years of working as a computer employer for Alfa Romeo. I bought my first digital piano, a Korg GX1 after 7 years and I started playing piano-bar evenings and parties. Then I have worked ias a musician in the Republic of Maldives for 8 months and eventually started buying all my staff from the money I have earned there (I didn't have any occasion to spend it on the islands).
    Now, after 35 years, I still work in the computers field.
    I have almost everything I ever dreamed for making music. I am a semi professional and a part of the money I earn with my job with computer (those the others spend for cigarettes, wine, drugs and everything) I add for new keybards or samples etc. Music has payed for itself, but I did work a lot for that.
    I really enjoyed!
    Ciao
    Sergio

• last edited
    last edited

@bowserlm said:

I just have a bunch of questions about how you guys pay for the stuff in your studio, and mainly, how did you start out?
    When you were beginning did you just make a list...

Hello bowserlm
    I started in 1975 with a Revox A77 tape and a Roland SH7 and tried to copy Walter Carlos' switched on Bach.
    http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/galleries/hobby/studio7502/index.html
    http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/downloads/bk17yearssynthesizer7502.mp3

And the money?
    I played in Bigbands as an E-bass player, arranged concerts where I played the saxophon together with my synthesizer-accompaniments. Further I played very often as a violonist during services (lots of) in several churches > that means: working also on sunday morning. Then I recorded many concerts around my place of residence. Soon I was the "recording tip" for local orchestras and choirs. With the CDs I got money for more synthesizers, sequencers, tapes, mixers, effects... But all this for ~20 years. I always tried to get the money for my hobby outside of my occupation...

Lots of young people want to have the very best - the top products - just now. They can't (don't want?) understand that you have to work first for it. Unfortunately? the bank helps to make their dreams true... and simultaneously the nightmare with the credits starts...
    To make it clear: I'm not against young people!

So how to start then?
    Instead of a Mackie mixer start with a Beringer
    Instead of 4 syncroniced PCs start with only one PC
    Instead of a 88 wighted keyboard start with a small midikeyboard
    Instead of a Brauner Mic buy one for 1/10 of the price
    Instead of the bigest Genelec Monitor buy something for 1/3 or perhaps start with only a headphone.
    Instead of an 8-Channel input/output unit (RME) buy a good stereo soundcard.
    Instead of the VI-Cube buy Horizon-products.
    Instead of (Herb don't read this) VSL start with another cheaper product...

I wish you all a lot of money

Beat Kaufmann

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Beat: I enjoyed that mp3 so much!!

What you say is very true, it is so tempting to go out and buy the best and dream that you're going to make enough money the next day to pay it back. It's a lot harder to earn that money than spend it. On the other hand, sometimes you need to take a chance if you are that passionate and just absolutely determined to say yes I'm willing to bet this on my own talent not through false ego or insecurity but through genuine aspiration and passion and I'm prepared to go whatever extra mile is required to make up any slack that is there that I find is surprisingly there *after* spent all my money and can't take it back not be swallowed by it. You have to throw yourself in the deep end, but not like a fool, you have to look in the deep blue so to speak and say, I believe I can swim - if you feel that, Then, perhaps if you feel destined to do it, you can make a business decision and go out on a limb of credit and rely on the return to be worth it. I've made decisions like that at times and they HAVE paid off. But many more times I've said no, this isn't the time, wait, and conserve resources, because the two parts have to be in balance - business, and music (with regards to credit). If you are doing it like a business, in other words, you are a business minded person who is expending business talen to create a space for music to be made (not music to make money but music in the spirit of making good music that will naturally of it's own nature return financial profits) then you can make an educated and considered guess about what you need and how much. You see, at times, it could be just as foolish to NOT get the four computers, when you need that to really get your talent out there musically and subsequently actually... you may not be able to complete the project that is within you, that will turn heads because you limited yourself, in that case you might even say you were better to get no computers until you were ready to get the four! Perhaps you needed that tool, not another. Perhaps not. So it's a business decision first. In other words, if you are a hobbyist, I would say, don't spend that kind of money until you earned it first. In a business scenario, sometimes you have to use credit as the facility and the tool that it is with full awareness of the consequences of failure, because this is a business decision first and foremost. Have a back up plan. Even if it means you have to work delivering pizzas an extra 40 hours a week to be able to pay back the loan if all fails and folds on you, ie your fingers fall off.... then so be it, but have that plan, don't get into an amount of debt that you couldn't recover from even in your worst situation. Get credit insurance, it's worth it. With music and business, that is not to say that the business aspect should take away from the music. The reverse - the business aspect should be there to house, nurture and provide foundation for the music. But you have to know the music is there, and good enough and make your own decisions and bear your own consequences and blame nobody else later when it doesn't work. You can spend $50,000 over night on musical stuff easy as you can click the mouse at Apple.com and other websites!! (if you have a credit card with that limit)! And finally IF you use credit facilities take out a properly approved loan not credit card, get the lowest rate you can find, with the best options and stake it out over a long period of time, with no penalties on early repayments. Don't pay big interest for nothing because of an impulse buy, do it properly.

My point is, there are no rules but you have to make your own within that context, get what you need and if you are a hobbyist, don't spend money you don't already have. Well, at least, that is my own opinion. [8-)]

Miklos [:)]

• Another important thing is to be prepared in all fields:
    If you plan about using computers, you have to know them. I have used an ATARI ST4 for 11 years doing professional works for theaters. Then I passed to the PC world. In 20 years I have spent a third of a lot of friends who have bougth many MACs not for the possibilities, but just because their friend had that and so they could help them.

The same for the instruments, the more you know harmony and the best you can play and, last but not least, ohw you know all the possibilities of your instrtuments BEFORE you buy it and after.
    So you will save a lot.
    A real good friend could also help in making better music and buying more things.
    Sergino

• Well in fairness, I don't know how PC's are these days but I know one thing, you can't compare a Mac OSX mac with a Mac OS9 or previous Mac. Two different worlds apart. OS 9 and before, to my experience was as bad as Windows 3.1 in many ways and not much better than 98 in it's best moments. But OSX is absolutey fantastic.

Miklos.