Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Running it all on one Mac Pro

I was wondering if it were possible to run a complete set of Vienna Instruments on
    one souped up Mac Pro

If it was fitted with say 8Gig ram and dual 3gig Xenonn processors and with lots of hard drives etc

Would this be a way of running a full ordchestral setup ? Does the Vienna Instruments software allow access to all the installed libraries from one instance of the program ?

I was curious to know if it was possible

( I'm running several computers with QLSO Platinum Pro XP in my studio but was interested in having a smaller setup with VSL at home )

Thanks For your thoughts in advance

Lester

• welcome lester,
    on one hand it is possible to access all installed collections on a single macPro, although i doubt it would make sense from one instance only, on the other hand it will not be possible to load them all on a single machine (simultaneously). i know macPro computers with 6 GB running 20 and more instances (AU) like a charm ...
    btw: couldn't resist to smile about considering VSL to be the *smaller setup* [;)]
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Ha ha - sorry I meant smaller from a space in the studio point of view !

Maybe I've missunderstood how the software on VSL works. Do you have to open a separate instance of the software for each volume or can you open one instance and
    load up say a slection of woodwind and strings into that one instance ?

What are the reasons that running one big single powerful system would not be a good Idea ?

• last edited
    last edited
    lester, there is a pdf available for download from manuals in the vienna instruments section of the user area (please simly register as new user if you have not done already to get access - no prduct registration needed)
    i think reading through the document will help you to understand why the intention behind the Vienna Instruments is to have one instance per instrument. i don't think it would be very practical to have woodwinds and strings in the same instance ...

regarding single machine - many users are doing so (or have to do), i just wanted to point out that available RAM is the limitation for loading patches. this means you can load everything to a single computer - until memory is full. loading in a selective manner can give you a good orchestral setup, but loading everything available into one machine is clearly not possible.
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks so much for the info Christian !

I will read in enjoy

Hmmmmm 16 gig Ram - £3k tho ! !