Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Virtual Engine, & Performance Tool Question

I've pre-ordered Apassionata Strings & Special Brass, along with the required Vienna Key (STILL shipping later this month, right??-I hope!!). I'm one of those who can read tech manuals until I'm blue in the face, but don't really get it until I do things hands on.

But in anticipation of getting the new samples, I'm fuzzy on this Virtual Engine software, which I'll be using for the first time: Are the Performance Tool features already incorporated in the Virtual Engine software, or must one STILL use the PT separately in conjunction with this engine to be able to trigger all of the key switches, etc.? My tech-savvy composing partner is unfamilar with the engine, and hasn't had time as of late to do the necessary research on it, so an answer would be helpful to me right now-Thanks!

-DKW

• last edited
    last edited

@DKW said:

I've pre-ordered Apassionata Strings & Special Brass, along with the required Vienna Key (STILL shipping later this month, right??-I hope!!). I'm one of those who can read tech manuals until I'm blue in the face, but don't really get it until I do things hands on.

But in anticipation of getting the new samples, I'm fuzzy on this Virtual Engine software, which I'll be using for the first time: Are the Performance Tool features already incorporated in the Virtual Engine software, or must one STILL use the PT separately in conjunction with this engine to be able to trigger all of the key switches, etc.? My tech-savvy composing partner is unfamilar with the engine, and hasn't had time as of late to do the necessary research on it, so an answer would be helpful to me right now-Thanks!

-DKW

There is no PT.

D

• Hi DKW,

my answer comes a bit late, but I thought it might be helpful to enlarge on DG's laconic reply [;)]

With VI, you don't need the Performance Tool (getting rid of it was one of the reasons for developing VI). Legato, repetitions etc. are built-in features automatically recognized by the VI software. Keyswitches are still used to change articulations or sets thereof, and other MIDI controllers can be used for various functions like velocity crossfades, filtering, etc.

Kind regards,
    David
    VSL manuals