Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,766 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 35 new user(s).

• Next 6 months - PC spec suggestions

Hi there,

Considering CPU options for PC - what is the opinion of which P4 chip to use (in the next 6 months). This is not for my slaves running Vienna but rather my main Daw (which actually also runs the percussion library). Always looking for more Ram it seems - but of late I have been hitting a CPU wall occassionaly with some larger projects with tons of backend processing and mastering (main Daw).

Currently using P4 D - Duo (3.0).

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

but of late I have been hitting a CPU wall occassionaly with some larger projects with tons of backend processing and mastering (main Daw)

If that's the case, maybe you need to start looking at some add-on DSP to take some of that processing off of your CPU. If you really plan to go nuts with back end processing and mastering, maybe you need PT.

• Or UAD and alikes.

• Rob, as Lee says PT is very good at all the audio side of things. However, it is very expensive and lacks many features on the MIDI side that you probably have got used to with Cubase. Maybe another option is to add another PC to your farm connected by FX-Teleport, specifically for plugs, rather than samples. That way you could take some of the processing of the DAW. The reason I say this is that computers are going through such a time of change at the moment that in three months the lie of the land will be very different. With the new Quad core chips probably becoming cheaper, RAM certainly becoming cheaper and Vista on the horizon (or is that Horizon on the vista?) any decision you make today is going to be outdated very soon. Whilst this is always true in computer land, I think that the current situation is very special.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Rob, as Lee says PT is very good at all the audio side of things. However, it is very expensive and lacks many features on the MIDI side that you probably have got used to with Cubase. Maybe another option is to add another PC to your farm connected by FX-Teleport, specifically for plugs, rather than samples. That way you could take some of the processing of the DAW. The reason I say this is that computers are going through such a time of change at the moment that in three months the lie of the land will be very different. With the new Quad core chips probably becoming cheaper, RAM certainly becoming cheaper and Vista on the horizon (or is that Horizon on the vista?) any decision you make today is going to be outdated very soon. Whilst this is always true in computer land, I think that the current situation is very special.

DG

Sage advice Daryl. Many thanks. I think for now I'll just 'freeze' and deal with the CPU issues. It is not a showstopper at this point and like you say with all the changes in the PC world I can hold off until the summer to make an upgrade. I want to make the move that last the longest [:)]

Thanks again.

Rob

• I've recently been looking at an Opteron setup. Something like 2 x Opteron 270s. The prices have come down a lot, but i don't know how they would stack up against more recent processors like Core 2 Duo or AMD 4X4. 4 cores should help though. Plus, some Opteron mobos can take 16Gb RAM. How's that for future proof?

Or how about an eight core desktop! http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/09/ces2007_intel_eight_core/">http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/09/ces2007_intel_eight_core/