Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• How are your samples organized?

Hello Everyone:

I would be interested to know the different approaches people use to organize and access the many libraries and samples you have. I have a pretty large collection of different libraries and haven't yet come up with what I feel is a really effecient approach.

Be well,

Poppa

• Early on, someone convinced me to organize my Giga samples by orchestra family instead of by manufacturer, which is how most people do it since it's the default. My main heading (under Tascam/Gigs) is something like: Strings, Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, Ethnic, Synth, Piano, Keyboard (electric piano, etc), Harp, drums, bass, voices, etc. Under brass would be Trumpet, French Horn, Tuba... Inside that might be solo and ensemble, and inside there would be every Trumpet I own, with the file name reflecting who recorded it.

It's MUCH easier to work this way. Especially since it's the way I write: I need a solo trumpet for this line that carries the harmony, etc.

The drag is that you need to duplicate this on multiple machines. So I've thought about moving to a network file server for all of the computers. Perhaps someday.

• All very simple and for fast access:

Bass
    Boesendorfer - Steinway - Fazioli
    Brass - Horn Sections
    Choir
    Drum - Percussion
    Drum - Sets
    Drums - Chester Thompson
    Drums - Noble & Cooley - Premier - Montineri
    Drums - Steve Gadd
    Drums - from 24 trk
    Guitar
    Keyboards
    Orchestra
    Organ - Cathedral
    Selfmade - Angelo
    Synthesizer

In the sub folders are different categories I need to seperate, i.e. in the Bass folder:

Bass
    Abraham Laboriel
    John Patitucci
    Marcus Miller
    Will Lee
    etc.

The VSL stuff are streamed from another hard drive, where I keep the original file structure as it was when installed.

• What?

That's simple?

What are you talking about?

• I'm talking about a storage and fast access system where I can find the needed patch as fast as possible, by instruments and knowing where to look for. I had to come up with a system that works fast, otherwise I loose too much time searching.

Here an example for a subfolder structure when I need a drum set from an older drum machine, and there are 238 drummachines stored:

Drum-Sets > Drummachines Digital > Linndrum
    Drum-Sets > Drummachines Analogue > Roland TR-606

• o.k., that makes sense. I suppose I simply don't use that many different libraries. Most of them have been nullified by The Cube.

Hey, wasn't there a Star Trek about a huge cube in space? Are we SURE these guys are from Vienna?

• 2001: A Space Odyssey (196[H] had a black cube in it, right there where Bowman says "It's full of stars" and then disappears forever

• No, that's the monolith.

I guess I was thinking of the "Borg" cube. Though those guys were more rude than the VSL team. In fact, everyone on this Forum would be vaporized by now.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

No, that's the monolith.

Well, anyway, the universe is very very large and seen from the outside has the form of a cube

• O.K., that is reasonable.

however my brain was completely formed, in basic neural structure, by the movie "2001" so I cannot comment further.

• Anyone calling a monolith a cube from 2001 is obviously mental. See you all soon hopefully - but for the meantime I am using my brother's crappy, shitty PC and he is an imbecile anyway - so won't be back online for a while yet.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Anyone calling a monolith a cube from 2001 is obviously mental.

Here the monolithic cube in front of my house:

http://home.balcab.ch/venanz.nobel/ausstellung/murten/Murten.jpg">

More monolithic cubes here:
    http://demo.sfgb-b.ch/tsm2/ott/expo02%20bilder%201.htm

• Hey Angelo,

What's in this cube?

(Hope not a MacDonald's!) [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Hey Angelo,

What's in this cube?

Just an empty room

• I like it. Maybe that room is not empty though - could be a space-time wormhole. You'd better check it out. Get in there Angelo, and report back.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

I like it. Maybe that room is not empty though - could be a space-time wormhole. You'd better check it out. Get in there Angelo, and report back.

NO WAY !!!!

Going near the “Murten Monolith,” is dangerous. The natives in Murten call the cube cult ““Instant and Eternity.”

It is said, that the bloke who shoot that video of the cube disappeared:
    http://helix-1.sri.ch/ramgen/sri/expo_archiv/video/160k/srgssr_morat_tl_long-160k.rm?start=0:00:00.0&end=0:03:38.267

Fact is, the gigantic cube suddenly appeared in 2002, a year after “2001: A Space Odyssey.“ The locals says that the cube has three stories, and houses a monumental panorama painting of a unknown galaxy, and solar powered satellites come and pick up pilgrims from the shore. In 2002 alone, more then 60’000 Americans pilgrimed to the cube.

But that’s not all, in near by town Yverdon at the same time as the cube, a mysterious artifical cloud suspended over the lake, as well several other strange objects all of a sudden showed up in the area, i.e. the space ship “Palais de l'Equilibre” in the town of Neuchatel, who is surrounded by alien plants

“The Artifical Cloud of Yverdon”

Space Ship "Palais de l'Equilibre" near Neuchatel:

Inside the Space Ship:

• When was this cube built? And how?

• thanks for your research on this topic Angelo and I will make it my first (and perhaps last) tourist destination.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

thanks for your research on this topic Angelo and I will make it my first (and perhaps last) tourist destination.

Your welcome! No problem, I see that all happen thru the window while I compose... here a photo of my view:

http://www.ueliraz.ch/2006/murtensee/murten-4.jpg">
    © Photo by Ueli Raz http://www.ueliraz.ch/2004/murtensee.htm

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on