Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Michael Andrews- Donnie Darko

Hi Folks,

Anyone familiar with this score/ soundtrack?

Excellent stuff; a slight elfmann edge here and there with some of the voices, but nothing that I would say is derivitive of "dark" elfmann.. just seems very original to me. The 1-minute bits in this score I think are brilliant. Some great Atonal things going on.

By the way; I noticed some serious recording mistakes... probably in post/ mastering/ manufacturing of the CD. Clipping, and even I can hear a 60-hz buzz on the left on the more quiet stuff on my tannoys. It was a low-budget film by many standards though, and I'll bet some of these tracks were mockups perhaps even done on spec, recycled until they made the CD which they never expected anyone to buy. (:

Anyone heard it, or can recommend anything similar?

• Mike Andrews is a very eclectic composer with many strengths. The film Orange County has Brian Wilson textures that are so authentic (right down to production values with live sessions at Capitol Records) and gorgeous sounding that they stand on their own and don't sound like the usual painful pastiche. His latest film Unaccompanied Minors which is a big Hollywood orchestral score, has some very creative thematic writing where he sort of beats Elfman at his own game as in the downhill sled ride (chase.)

As to similar scores to Darko I don't know what's out there but others here may.

• Thanks D,

I saw the film Orange County a long time ago and never even thought about the score.

Will check out the unaccompanied minors soundtrack.

Steve

• However, do be aware that some of the score is library music by various other composers.

D

• last edited
    last edited

@astronmr20 said:

I saw the film Orange County a long time ago and never even thought about the score.
    Steve

You probably didn't grow up hearing Brian Wilson's music. It sort of imprints the soul for life. Andrews got the thumbprint right on OC.

A film that got a standing ovation at Cannes, 'Paris je t'aime' has an Andrews score (the 8th segment starring Elijah Wood: the film has 20 short segments/20 directors.) The score has a few electronic elements but is basically an homage to old Hollywood scores of Waxman and Herrmann. The film plays silently with only sound so music is prevalent. The session musicians applauded the score after the recording.

It should be noted that some great directors were a part of the project such as the Coen Brothers, Gus Van Sant and even Wes Craven. The film is do for a theatrical release.

• Didn't grow up listening to it when it was new, but I did grow up on th eoldies station that was ALWAYS on in my dad's van. Pet sounds is probably one of my favorite records of all time; "God Only Knows" is so brilliant I can't describe. But of course we all probably know this already. (:

• OC has a big Brian Wilson vibe so I can't imagine you would miss it next time around. [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@astronmr20 said:

Hi Folks,

Anyone familiar with this score/ soundtrack?

Excellent stuff; a slight elfmann edge here and there with some of the voices, but nothing that I would say is derivitive of "dark" elfmann.. just seems very original to me.

Anyone heard it, or can recommend anything similar?

I agree that Andrews has a unique voice. Not sure if I hear the Elfman influence but no doubt it's there somewhere.

His score for "Me and You and Everyone We Know" is also synth driven but more quirky fun than dark and brooding. There is a piano piece that reminds me of the Darko piano pieces (Liquid Spear Waltz is my favorite piano piece from Donnie Darko). It's a good film too.

If you like edgier synth sounds you might check out Stuart Matthewman's scores for the Polish brothers films: Twin Falls Idaho and North Fork. Very independent and original stuff.

Carlos

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on