Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• 3GB Switch RAM Question

I have 2 PC's each with 2gigs of ram and want to add more.

Both have 2 slots open. If I want to add 1 gig do I have to fill both slots with 512 sticks (instead of a single 1 gig stick?) If I add 2 more gigs each will I eventually beable to access all 4 gigs with 64 bit apps?

Trying to get biggest bang for my buck now and in future.

Thanks

• dave, IMO it would not make any sense at all to add 2x512 MB sticks if you have already 2 x 1 GB ... some things to consider:
    - some motherboards only see 3,75 GB RAM although 4 GB are installed (never mind, sometimes a BIOS update helps)
    - it would be easier to get another pair of 1GB sticks with the same layout and latency as your current ones - this would make sure the RAM performance is not decreased by some nifty incompatibility issues.
    - even staying in the 32bit world you would be able to load more into a 4GB machine than with 3 GB
    - the price difference is not really significant (between 2x512MB and 2x1GB) and if you have or want to replace the 512MB sticks later, you can only throw them away more or less ...
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks cm, exactly what I needed to know so 4 gigs it is. (thanks for earlier help as well.)

• A little off-topic :

Be careful with the G965 chipset. The Intel integrated graphic chip doesn't like the /3gb switch as the driver can't use memory above 3gb.
    The only workaround is to add the /userva switch to free up a few Mb for the graphic chip.

• Chipset is i875 which I think is working as is.

Thanks for that.

• last edited
    last edited

@Stéphane said:

A little off-topic :

Be careful with the G965 chipset. The Intel integrated graphic chip doesn't like the /3gb switch as the driver can't use memory above 3gb.
    The only workaround is to add the /userva switch to free up a few Mb for the graphic chip.

Yeah, I disccovered this the hard way.

• What about using the 3GB switch on an Intel Mac running Boot Camp or Parallels?

Has anyone tried that?

• last edited
    last edited

@Stéphane said:

A little off-topic :

Yeah, I disccovered this the hard way.

Just forgot to write the other workaround : adding a real graphic card

• i just like to add that usage of the /USERVA option is recommended anyway and it's not a problem of embedded VGA or not but of the driver - you can run into the same problem with a *real graphic card* but i have to admit this type of graphic cards (eg. ATI rage pro) are no longer widely spread.
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I set my userva to 2750 which gave me more graphics head room with 3gb in the machines.