Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Playing Chord with Vienna Instruments Chambers Strings

Hi,
    I want to play sustained chords with Chambers Strings (playing like a string ensemble as many synthesiser). A lot of patch are monophonics (especialy legato patch). How could I do?
    Did anyone made a polyphonic matrix (and even more : with the Double Bass, Celli, Violas and Violins together)?
    Thanks a lot to help me

• If you think about it, a legato patch has to be monophonic or it wouldn't know which note connected to which. If you want to use the legato patches you'll have to use as many instances as the number of notes on your chords.

However, you could use any of the sus patches to play chords if you wish.

DG

• Thanks DG,
    Effectively I wanted to say sustained patch. And with the sus patches, it's OK to play chords.
    But how to make an "ensemble strings" with Basses, Celli, violas and violins together in a matrix?
    (I'm a novice, sorry)

• Unfortunately this is one of the limitations of the VI - it's not possible to adjust instrument ranges, so you can't build your own 'full strings' patches (or matrices) the way you can with a sound library.

However, VSL have provided some full strings patches for the Chamber Strings - look in '10 Strings chamber' and under '01 BASIC ARTICULATIONS' you'll see eight of them (plus a couple of '99' RS folders which aren't accessible to users). You could use these patches to compose your arrangement, then when you're happy with it assign the individual parts to chamber violins, violas, cellos and basses on four (or more) separate MIDI tracks.

• Thanks Conquer,
    I think that VI is not multitimbral also. It's not possible to assign a matrix to a canal midi (you have to load multiple instances). And you can just switch between matrix with a note change (and not with a controler change)
    Am I right?

• That's right, it's not multi-timbral, it works in 'omni' mode, which means it responds to all 16 MIDI channels. I don't know of any other VI that works this way. You can switch between matrices with a MIDI note (keyswitch) which you define yourself by right-clicking on the note on the left of the matrix name, then selecting a note on the keyboard underneath.

• Can you change matrix with a controler (and not a note)?

• You can switch Matrixes with Keyswitches or Programm Changes (value 101 to 112)

best
    Herb