Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,682 users have contributed to 42,622 threads and 256,578 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 26 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Nice playing, but I don't really like the sound of this piano. Too harsh and clattery.

100% agree.

A low-cost VI Opus 3 would have been more appreciated.

• Agreed, I'm not a fan of Bosen's either...very brittle sounding pianos, the sampling is not to blame. They also have a very odd frequency thing going on....like talking through your nose[[;)]] I've heard it in the Ivory piano, the East West, and in person on a real one. Wish it had been a Steinway.

Also, I've noticed a propensity for VSL to always demo their instruments using a classical piece, but I'd be willing to bet that most users are modern composers and arrangers who would appreciate hearing modern, real world examples of instruments being used in contemporary genres. The lack of attention to this matter is exactly why the unison horns don't go up to "D". [[;)]]

TH

• I realize that it has a lot to do with personal taste, but I really like the full, meaty, rich sound of this instument. Mic placement, of course, has much to do with tonal variations that are perceived. I will be interested to hear the distant mic as well. I will be ordering this.

• Man, Guy really knows how to play. I just enjoy listening to your playing, thanks!

• Some may not lve the sound of this piano, but I, for one, find it closer to the sound of a real piano than any other sampled piano I've heard so far. In other words, you might not like the sound of the piano that was sampled or you might wish it had been voiced differently, but it sounds real. One of the things that I noticed is that notes in chords sound like they interact (fm) as they would on a real instrument. In fact, although I might wish a Steinway had been sampled or or that this Bösendorfer had been voiced with slightly softer hammmers, I find I like this piano a great deal - - not t mention Guy's terrific playing.

• another positive point : 5 repetition per note ! the problem with other libraries turn around this.

Is it the close or distant sound ? could be fine to compare two versions (close and far) of "The Flight of the Bumblebee" [8-)] [[;)]]

• Guy just sent me two another great demos, this time in a lyrical and softer style.

Claude Debussy's Clair de Lune
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=4964

Frederic Chopin's Nocturne op9_No2
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=4965

Both demos were performed using the Close Mic version.
    If you click on the "Tutorial Download" button, you can download a rendering of the Far Mic version to compare.

Guy told me that he would have performed a little different, hearing the Far Mix version during the performance, but it's OK for comparison purposes.
    Again Guy's interpretation is live performed, with hardly no edtiting afterwards.

thanks a lot Guy
    Herb

• Does the far mic version have any other processing or reverb on it? Is this the out-of-the-box sound?

Thanks,
    Jay

• Much better.

May I have a Ligeti Etude performed live on the Imperial?

n. 1 ("DĂ©sordre") or n. 12 ("Entrelacs") will be perfect.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Does the far mic version have any other processing or reverb on it? Is this the out-of-the-box sound?

I think it's rendered with the same Altiverb settings like the dry version to enable an 1:1 comparison. The reverb of the far version is defenitely not out of the box.

best
    Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@JBacal said:

Does the far mic version have any other processing or reverb on it? Is this the out-of-the-box sound?

Thanks,
    Jay

Jay, both versions, close and distant mic, I processed the exact same way, same altiverb, but when i tried other concert halls rev. they each sounded totally different, so it comes down to a question of personal taste.

• last edited
    last edited

@Coqui said:

Much better.

May I have a Ligeti Etude performed live on the Imperial?

n. 1 ("DĂ©sordre") or n. 12 ("Entrelacs") will be perfect.

I think you're asking a lot here, I didn't plan on investing a whole week 8 hours a day learning a single piece...

• last edited
    last edited
    I feel a little bit dispointed by the Bösendorfer sound.
    I own the Ivory and I regulary play and record on different grand concert pianos. Let's say I hopped something better…a great sound.
    as said before this one is tricky, almost sound like a piano forte !

As an exemple you can hear the sound of the Imperial Bösendorfer I recorded on on the myspace site:
    www.myspace.com/laurentlevesque

The sound is called "Situationnellement"

This is what I expect from a 50 gig piano sound bank.

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

What? To end up as a crappy video on myspace, next to some trashy kiddypicture?

I can't believe some peoples judgements....

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • Holgmeister, you really must be some kind of [8o|] .

I don't like any of these demos but it is only a matter of tastes and ears.
    So who cares ?!

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

I think you're asking a lot here, I didn't plan on investing a whole week 8 hours a day learning a single piece...

A global recession could be a matter of months.

In that case, not only the VI Cube price would drop to 500 USD, but we all will have lots of free time...

[;)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

It's a soundfile, from an album released 5 years ago that appears as a soundtrack on a 3 million hit movie last year and continue its way on…

seems your kids put you on the Disney page [H]

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

It's a soundfile, from an album released 5 years ago that appears as a soundtrack on a 3 million hit movie last year and continue its way on…

seems your kids put you on the Disney page )´

Ok, so I have to be impressed .-- you won the price for best famous performance since my Disney kids put me to sleep playing "Twinkle twinkle little star" on my Steinway in my mansion's Grand Hall ---

To your both 'L..'s : I know, that every piano player has his own mindset about the perfect mastercrafted piece and its sound. But I bow before that technical, organisational and perfect sounding effort that is behind such an endeavour at VSL, and not beckmessering about a personal opinion of how it "sounds", which is a pure personal point of view.

I just think it is totally 'daneben', what these 'L's posted....

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • gentlemen ... please ...
    "Situationnellement" is beautifully played and recorded (and a very moving piece IMO), to publish it on MySpace (which incredibly crackles and overdrives here btw - well, a flash-player ...) is everyones personal decision.
    probably we will hear *this sound* (as laurent would expect) with the imperial in another arrangement
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I didn't think this would turn into a piano competition...The Bosendorfer has a nice sound but how you process it will make it your own.