Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,120 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• Is the picture from the newsletter how the Boesendorfer was recorded? Why was the top/wing removed? Seems pretty strange ... (I just a musician, no recording engineer ....)

• Bravo Guy for that action music ..again you show your composition and orchestration
    skil but something new here you are mixing your stuff and it sound realy good..
    nice job with the reverb ! the wet and dry balance sound musical !
    and for my taste the piano sound much better in a orchestration and i think it was
    built for that task it have a very sharp sound that cut trough the orchestra but
    for solo piano piece it lack sustain (decay seem to fast ) and body..
    sorry i do not ear any sustenuto pedal like i have on The Grand 2 by Steinberg.
    anyway i will get the VI piano just to complete the sound bank and have a piano
    sitting in my virtual orchestra.

Mephisto
    [6]

• I think to put this in balance it is fairly well known that this particular Borsendorfer sound that VSL has produced is largely for the specific purpose of being combined with their other instruments in a suitably similar engineering sound and also orchestrally to fit with the VSL orchestra. It makes perfect sense as a companion to the rest of the library. No sampled piano could cover all bases, this one does what it is supposed to do superbly and that is the point to recognise with this unique piano. Plus, the close and far mic recordings mean that you can mix and match as you please and add your own reverb onto it to have a truly flexible sound that in most cases even with heavy reverb will cut through the orchestra beautifully if you wish, and of course you can always tone it down as well.

Just to clarify for the mixes on the first released demo's from Guy those are all far mic recordings no close mic mixed in I did not have the close mic recordings for those pieces.

Miklos.