Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• The shameless VSL Xmas wish-list! Add your own!

Okay, it's December now, which means that we're officially encouraged to think implausible thoughts (particularly if they relate to commercial products) for about a month. So, I thought I'd post my VSL Christmas wish-list. That's not to say a wish-list for VSL (which I'm sure would be very different, consisting primarily of a forum-posting-restraining order on jbm), but a wish-list for me! [;)]

1) VSL Score: Notation-based sequencing and sample-playback environment for the VSL. Interfaces with the current VIs in order to allow realtime playback/recording (which records to score). But it's main strength is that it actively analyzes the content of your score, *in the background*, as you compose, in order to load *only* those samples best-suited to the music you're writing, thus making it possible to create entire arrangements on one machine.... yup... IMO, the only way it's going to possible, feasible, fast, and entirely musically intuitive... AND you come away with a properly notated score (since sample-selection is coupled with notation) every time! No extra text-bits, no "~C7, 64" crap. Just the music, as it should be written! Hairpins, slurs, tremolos, trills, glissandi, all entered just as you would on a score. Not to mention the fact that all sorts of "user-tricks" like crossfading from legato to sustained notes for long sustains, could be incorporated into the program's "intelligence", thus making any VSL user an instant sample-selection expert. We'd all be able to concentrate on composing, first and foremost. Could it be simpler? (I love repeating this dream to myself, over and over... and over, and over, and over... ad infinitum).

2) VI L3 Extended (Extended Techniques).
    Winds and Brass - smack tone, key clicks, multiphonics (mapped only where possible, otherwise standard sustain), overblowing/breath effects, perf-glisses (mapped only where physically possible, otherwise standard legato), timbral perf-trills (mapped where most effective, otherwise standard sustain).
    Strings - scratch tone, unpitched bow noise, bowing behind the bridge, artificial harmonic perf-glisses, perf-gliss trills, perf-gliss tremolos... maybe even those funky artificial harmonic trills, as used by Kaija Saariaho (a trill between a stopped note and the "touched" P4th above -- very delicate, but a beautiful sound when done well!).
    I'm probably missing many of these, so feel free to ad. It's all seasonal fantasy anyway (seasonal fantasy disorder?).

--- ooh, damn. Just thought of a couple more for strings: unpitched (mute with left hand) and unmeasured ricochet bowing, and unpitched bartok/snap pizz.

3) MIR released. Interfaces directly with the VIs, and with VSL Score. The best sample playback, sample management, notation, and reverb/spatialization available. And running on only 2 machines! Yum.

Okay, day-dream's over. Back to work...

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@jbm said:

1) VSL Score:

Thats what I was thinking of in the bathlast night (having just purchased Notion / Protoge)

• I only have two wishes really:

1) Velocity xfade to work without phasing, so that it is a proper volume control.

2) Timbre to be uniform between articulations (unless special ones) so that I didn't have to duck and dive with the Velocity xfade/volume/filter to get an even sound.

DG

• but hey why not.

a Brass Band Special - Soprano cornet, cornet, flugel, tenor horn, baritone, Euphonium (played by one of the Child's brothers) EEb and BBb basses.

A Tuba Special - French C, English F, Kaisertuba (German), American CC, Russian monster BBb, all muted as well. Perhaps a souzaphone for our friends across the pond, and a dixie/polka style tuba. All with extended techniques.

JBM's VSL score writer.

A very very special extended winter buy one get six free offer.

etc etc

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

A very very special extended winter buy one get six free offer.

hehe... yup. sounds good!

J.

• oh, and just in case this wish-list gives people the idea I'm not happy with what VSL's already done? Well, I've just been working with the VI Solo Bass (Extended), and I'd say it's the sexiest sampled instrument every created. Ooooh... All those little real-life performance artifacts in the perf-trills, especially on large-interval legatos... damn! That's sweeeeet! The whole instrument is somehow so raw... It's awesome.

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I only have two wishes really:

1) Velocity xfade to work without phasing, so that it is a proper volume control.

2) Timbre to be uniform between articulations (unless special ones) so that I didn't have to duck and dive with the Velocity xfade/volume/filter to get an even sound.

DG

Excellent Daryl. These are troublesome time consuming issues.

Actually the phasing xfade of the solo WW's is more then timeconsuming - it often prevents me from performing parts as I wish (constant breath controlling). Some of the WW's are worse than others (memory serves the OB2 is the most problematic).

It is no secret how I feel about this wonderful library. But would really like to see these two issues resolved before we get 'new bags of tricks' - actually, If I were greedy and VSL human resources didn't play a part - I would want it all - NOW [[;)]]

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

This is on the top of my wish list, too.

Then:

[daydream]

2) Baroque violin, viola, cello, violone
    Viola da gamba (treble, tenor, bass)
    Baroque traverso, oboe, oboe d'amore, oboe da caccia, bassoon, dulcian
    Cornett and sackbuts
    Natural trumpet, natural horn
    etc. etc.

3) VSL score (of course)

[/daydream]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I only have two wishes really:

DG

Excellent Daryl. These are troublesome time consuming issues.

Actually the phasing xfade of the solo WW's is more then timeconsuming - it often prevents me from performing parts as I wish (constant breath controlling). Some of the WW's are worse than others (memory serves the OB2 is the most problematic).

It is no secret how I feel about this wonderful library. But would really like to see these two issues resolved before we get 'new bags of tricks' - actually, If I were greedy and VSL human resources didn't play a part - I would want it all - NOW [[;)]]

Rob
    Actually I could live with a CPU intensive mode or even an offline processing mode, if it meant that the phasing issue was sorted out.

DG

• 1. Phasing - a big one. Could be the next big hurdle for VSL
    2. Alternative techinques and effects. Film music tends to use a lot of alternative techniques that aren't really used much in classical music. I would love to see VSL add more alternative techinques and effects i.e. rips, stratches, clusters, random harmonics etc.

• 1. Phasing
    2. Celtic instruments
    3. Be able to use Finale/Sibelius with VSL VI (maybe a plugin to map to the slaves computers)

• Being able to go from any sustained note to a note that naturally fades out. Yeah I know, there are a few in the library, but usually either too short, too long, or at the wrong dynamic so that when you xfade to them it's noticeable. I don't know what the answer is....maybe some kind of thing where if you release a sustain note, it triggers a "fade out" note...

2 Unison horns that reflect todays players/music regarding range.

3 Solo trombone with vibrato that holds out for over a half a second[;)]

TH

• 4. Could be fine : be able to xfade from non-vibrato to vibrato without phasing. [:)]

• Just to gas-on a little about the VSL Score idea...

The Vienna musicians who recorded this library worked from score. Therefor there is, in no uncertain terms, a 1:1 mapping between *every* sample recorded in the library and a notated form. The mapping is, in this sense, already done. Pulling one out of 1726382 samples, with a simple notation. Chew on that for a while...

mmm. Mince pie, egg nog, mulled wine... (okay, I'm not that big a fan of Christmas, actually. But I love thinking about VSL dreamware).

J.

• My wish: A book (in German) which explains also traditional composers like me how to arrange music with VSL. I worked with real orchestras, I know nearly everything about instrumentation and I prefer to compose with a pen and a sheet of paper. But now I have to write a film music with VSL and it is incredible difficult for me.

Alban

• I also have a BIG wish list...
    It must be great for all the people who work at VSL to see these wish lists.

They have material to be bussy for EVER! The great thing is that they have accomplished one of the most difficult things to do: to build a brand name that equals quality, seriousness, professionalism, and quality again.
    I´m shure most of us would probably buy almost anything they come up with- as long as it has the VSL prefix. It can be more libraries, sotware, even notation, anything. How about a VSL sequencer? One that is designed specially for composers? I mean, the list could be ever-lasting. All this as long as they wouldn´t get "distracted" by new products, of course.

Congratulations on your success, VSL!

I, for one, would love to have more "especiall playing techniques" instruments (for avant-garde stuff).
    I´d love to see ethnic instruments. Also, a great accordeón would be nice.

Cheers,

Fernando

• last edited
    last edited

@Alban said:

My wish: A book (in German) which explains also traditional composers like me how to arrange music with VSL. I worked with real orchestras, I know nearly everything about instrumentation and I prefer to compose with a pen and a sheet of paper. But now I have to write a film music with VSL and it is incredible difficult for me.

Alban

Do you download the tutorials ? very useful ...

Another wish :
    An update of the "intruments" menu with mp3 excepts could be nice. We could use them like a tutorial.

• last edited
    last edited

@Miguélez said:

...Also, a great accordeón would be nice.

You know, I was just thinking this yesterday. I've been working on an Irish Jig and none of the Accordion samples I have seem to be up to the job! The range of articulations that you get from VSL really does spoil you!

Merry Wishing!

Martin

• last edited
    last edited

@Alban said:

My wish: A book (in German) which explains also traditional composers like me how to arrange music with VSL. I worked with real orchestras, I know nearly everything about instrumentation and I prefer to compose with a pen and a sheet of paper. But now I have to write a film music with VSL and it is incredible difficult for me.

Alban

Do you download the tutorials ? very useful ...

Yes, I did it. But everything what I arrange with the VSL sounds less good than all the beautifull demos. I know that I need much time to learn it. But I'm sure for many composers it would be very usefull to have a special orchestration-book for the VSL with many examples.

Alban

• I forgot something very important in my wish list:

(1a) Possibility to use a historical temperament (e.g. meantone, Werckmeister, Kirnberger...)

Please insert this between (1) getting rid of the phasing and (2) historical instruments.