Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Vienna Instrumenst SE (special edition)

VI looks like it's THE thing to me.
    As a happy owner of the "old" chamber strings I appreciate the sound of the samples - I love them.
    But, are there any plans to release SE editions?
    Many users, like me, that are 100% into pop/rock and other contemporary stuff would be happy with the 4 to 6 most important articulations, I'd really love to see a VI LE edition.
    I honestly believe that VSL would open up a new market with things like chamber strings SE, delivering a set that is smaller than the standard library.

To give you an example for my pop music needs, I'd include the following articulations:
    legato
    staccato
    tremolo
    marcato
    pizzicato (optional, e.g. not as important as the other ones to me)

Reduce it in a way that we'd get to a price range of a typical Virtual Instrument, let's say 220€ and leave an upgrade option for those who eventually want more and there you go: sales increase. [[;)]]

cheers
    tele

• Only movie scrore writers and other full time composers/arrangers?
    Hmmm.
    Would still be nice to hear your estimation of this type of target group.

tele

• Just save up already. [8-)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Just save up already. [8-)]

DG

good idea? [H]

The thing is that I'm happy with the VSL Chamber Strings, but they got way too many articulations for my needs.
    So it's not a matter of how much money is on my account, but more a thing of what do I actually need.
    I'd be happy to have a prodcuct like VSL with a smaller selection of artuculations.

tele

• I was admittedly being facetious, but if you like Chamber Strings then you'll love the VI version. Why not check the articulations for the Standard version only? This is not too expensive and you would get plenty of use out of it when considering that you might be waiting years for VSL to release a cut-down version (if ever).

The other thing to remember is that using the articulations in VI is so simple that once you have your favourite matrices you won't even know the "unused" ones are there. Until you find that you need them. [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I was admittedly being facetious, but if you like Chamber Strings then you'll love the VI version. Why not check the articulations for the Standard version only?

That would make sense if I didn't already own the Horizon edition.

But it is a matter of market strategy. For VSL, a light series would only make sense if this resulted in more income.
    If the result was that they'd sell less of the Standard edition and the sales of a light edition would not make up for that, then they would need to refrain from such a strategy. But many light users will eventually grade up to a bigger version...

Others do this type of strategy. IK Multimedia just released a special edition of Philharmonik.

tele

• I heard it though the grape vine
    that soon you're gonna be mine [:D]

tele

• I knew it would make sense to have a special edition.

Next step, I hope: Special editions for libraries. Like a Chmaber Strings Special Edition. Reduced content, but priced around $200.
    VSL will conquer a new market with this concept.

cheers
    tele

• Just to feed my curiosity. [:)]

Are there any plans to have "Intermediate Editions" which would be settled between the choice of the special Edition and the bigger Standard libraries?

Let me look into the future....
    Hmmmm, ahhh, there's my crystal ball.
    Well, errrrr, hmmmm
    AHA: I see that you already got plans and we can expect some cool announcements, either this year at the Next NAMM show or at next year's Frankfurt Musik Messe. [[;)]]

tele