Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Problems with VI

I need some help. I’ve got a P4, 3 GHz with 3 GB of Ram (XP pro) and use Sonar as my host. When I start, the VI (v 1.10) says I’ve got about 2027 MB free memory. When I get to around 1000 MB free memory, Sonar crashes. This is with only about 8 instances of the VI running. I’ve set the GS memory tweaks back to the XP default. I’m assuming the free memory is the amount available for the VI?

It also takes incredibly long to launch the first instance of the VI (10 min), which makes troubleshooting this problem very time consuming.

The forum search hasn’t worked for me for some time so I apologize if there is other info available.

Any ideas? I'm unfortunately just about out of time to spend on this.

Thanks

• Which version of Sonar? Is it LAA?

DG

• I use Sonar 6 producer - don't know if it's LAA. I do sometimes use GS on this machine so I'm hesitant to do the tweaks (does GS work at all with the 3 GB switch?). Your thinking what I described is normal? Because it might be - I'm not sure really. Based on the tests Herb posted, I'm thinking I should get more out of this machine.

Thanks

• Hi sgainar,

10 minutes initial startup time is definitely too long! Please make sure that you have the latest Syncrosoft LCC on your computer!

LCC:
    http://www.syncrosoft.com/License_Control_Center-78-11.html

How much RAM did you load in your 8 instances of the VI? You should be able to adress abou 1.5-1.7 GB of RAM.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • OK, if you haven't done the /3gig switch you won't get more than around 1.5Gb within Sonar, which probably equates to around 1.1/1.2Gb samples, so you're not far off. GS doesn't work properly with the /3Gig switch, so if you need to use it sometimes then you are better off using a dual boot.

DG

• Thanks for your quick replies. I’m getting ~1.3 Gb with no crash, which is a bit low but close to normal based on your responses. When I try to add 100Mb more, I get a crash. (It’s curious that the VI says 1118Mb free memory at this point – this indicator is kind of useless to me I guess.)

I was one version behind with the Syncrosoft software but this update didn’t help the load time – the first instance of VI still take 10min (almost exactly) to load.

I didn’t think of the dual boot – that’s a good idea. How much more accessible Ram could I expect with the switch?

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi sgainar,

the VI tells you how much RAM is accessible in general. So you need to find out once where the limits are on your machine, therefore you can abyolutely max out your ressources!

So it looks like you get 1.3 GM Samples into your RAM, 600 MB are "eaten" by your OS and sequencer and you have an additional 1.1 GB still available. That sounds reasonable.

I´m sure our Sonar Pros will jump in here to help me out on whether Sonar is LAA or not!

What I don´t understand at all is the long initial loading time. Did you try to remove all content from the Directory Manager and add it again?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I´m sure our Sonar Pros will jump in here to help me out on whether Sonar is LAA or not!

Paul

I think that it is, but without the switch being installed, it is irrelevant.

DG