Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,096 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 35 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Help with release samples......

Hi all,

Trying to build a custom patch.....

Appass Violins:

Cell 1 = VI-20_sfz

stacked with

Cell 2 = VI-20 RS

I made sure that under "Perform", "Play Release" is turned on....The release samples will NOT sound on key-Off.

The VI-20_sfz don't have release samples ....so I went rummaging under "resources" and found them........is this a bug?

Can you guys confirm my scenario?

I'm on a Mac...latest everything..

Cheers,

SvK

• I think (if have a good memory) that the "99 Release" folder is not meant to be used in that way... actually, I'm quite sure...

EDIT:
    Found this...
    "99 RELEASE
    This section contains release samples for various patches of the other sections. Please do not try to load them into a
    Vienna Instruments matrix – you will not be able to hear anything when you try to play them."
    ...extracted from the Orchestral Strings Manual.

• I was confused by this too, so asked VSL about it. They explained that the patches in the 99 Release folder can't be accessed by users; the only reason we get to see them is that, in their words, "In the current version of the Vienna Instruments there is no function to hide any patches."

• last edited
    last edited

@Conquer said:

I was confused by this too, so asked VSL about it. They explained that the patches in the 99 Release folder can't be accessed by users; the only reason we get to see them is that, in their words, "In the current version of the Vienna Instruments there is no function to hide any patches."

Seems like a lost opportunity to me. It would have been great to have a way in VI to automatically cross-fade into these release samples at key-off, since many patches have no release sample, and yet I can rarely find ways of using their full length.

Perhaps VSL could introduce this feature in 1.2?

• Release samples have to be matched to the samples they were originally extracted from - if you try to graft a set of sustained note release samples onto the end of some staccato samples, it wouldn't sound right. I don't think the release samples we're seeing in the Appassionata Violins '99 Release' folder were generated by the sfz performances.

Unlike the rest of the SC, the AP patches currently don't display velocity-split and release sample information, probably becuse they're a pre-release 'work-in-progress' bonus. I expect these details will be be sorted out in the forthcoming Appassionata Strings VI, which will feature new viola, cello and double bass sections as well as (I imagine) a full version of the AP violins.

• Also it should be noted that any short bow like sfz, stacatto, detache' etc.,is a release sample patch in that it is played from start to finish and hence contains a release. (Unless VSL chopped something off and I don't think they did.)

• last edited
    last edited
    OT:

@Conquer said:

...the AP patches... // ...probably becuse they're a pre-release 'work-in-progress' bonus. I expect these details will be be sorted out in the forthcoming Appassionata Strings VI...

About that... and more... I really agree, and hope, with you! [[;)]]

• Hi guys . . . I agree with you, Dave. In fact (unlike the other strings) the Appassionata Violins sfz's are long notes with looped sustains, so release samples would be a help.

• Really? Didn't know. My guess is that the Appassionata Violins pre-release being incomplete lacks a number of things including release samples so time will tell. Originally the bonus package for pro ed., users was not going to be nearly as big as what they ended up giving so it spoiled us, wanting it complete.