Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• extending range of VIs

Is there anyway of editing VIs to extend the range a bit? I need a high D on the muted trumpet and the current range is only up to C.

Thanks,
    Mike

• I wish... but I think I already know the answer...

• Use the pitch wheel.

D

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Use the pitch wheel.

D

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that? [:D]

Is there a way of getting more than a 200 cent increment on the pitch wheel?

Thanks,
    DG

• I think this is far from being a perfect idea. I don't see myself moving the pitch wheel up to go from D to F on a horn patch. Completely unpractical. There *should* be a way in VI to directly in edit an instrument range, like in Gigastudio.

Some of the horn patches stop at D, which is completely ridiculous... Professional horn players can go as high as a F, some even higher than that...

I understand the concept that all samples in VI are actually recorded, and not a synthesized version of one sample at different frequencies, but some instruments' range limits are very annoying, simply because they're not realistic...

Jerome

• last edited
    last edited
    I agree Jerome. Presently, I don't think you could go from D to F on the horn as the pitch wheel programming seems to be limited to 200 cents in either direction. I was glad to find a "quick fix" for my immediate problem with the high D, but I too would like to see increases in range. In the opposite direction, I have always been baffled as to why the VSL and VI libraries do not include at least a low Bb pedal tone for solo and ensemble trombones. Every decent trombone player can play solid pedals down to at least G.

I would imagine that the reason for shortened ranges was to save a bit of space, but it would be nice to have more expanded ranges.

Mike

@Jerome said:

I think this is far from being a perfect idea. I don't see myself moving the pitch wheel up to go from D to F on a horn patch. Completely unpractical. There *should* be a way in VI to directly in edit an instrument range, like in Gigastudio.

Some of the horn patches stop at D, which is completely ridiculous... Professional horn players can go as high as a F, some even higher than that...

I understand the concept that all samples in VI are actually recorded, and not a synthesized version of one sample at different frequencies, but some instruments' range limits are very annoying, simply because they're not realistic...

Jerome

• Nobody said that it was perfect; a question was asked and I answered it. I agree that the ranges aren't ideal, but Herb answered this point on a previous occasion.

DG

• Use Melodyne atoraise the notes after recording your piece with the "highest-wrong" notes. (did that make sense?)

It should cope pretty well, if the shift is just a few tones.