Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• A very surprising experience I made today...

Till January I have all the time for myself and my family. So today I was listening to a recording made in 1993 of the Sinfonie Nr. 7 (Originalfassung) by Anton Bruckner, Günter Wand conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker. This recording is the best I ever heard of any symphonic recordings, performance wise as well as recording technique wise. The performance is not better then the recording of Günter Wand conducting the NDR-Sinfonieorchester as recorded in 1980, but the balance, room and reverberation on the Berlin Philharmoniker recording is superior to the NDR recording.

But what I want to communicaty is the strange experience I made. Right at the beginning, starting with the Allegro moderato, I said to myself, this strings sound nearly 100% the same as the VSL strings, similar color, same brightness etc... I was shocked. Trying since several week to incorporate the VSL strings into my arrangements with frustrating results, and now this, my personal, quasi reference compact disk for recording symphonic music sounds nearly equal to the VSL strings.

Mama mia, I still don't know what to say, but I already went to the storage room to pick up an old Lexicon machine and dialing some nice reverb, what a relieve. Isn't that something?

[H] [H] [H]

• "The Proceedings of the AES 8th International Conference – The Sound of Audio" 1990, page 10:

Recordings made with microphones that are evaluated by listening through loudspeakers that are evaluated by listening to recordings made with microphones that are evaluated by listening through loudspeakers that are evaluated by listening to recordings made with microphones that are evaluated by listening through loudspeakers that are evaluated by listening to recordings made with microphones that are evaluated by listening through loudspeakers that are evaluated by listening to recordings made with microphones that are evaluated by listening through loudspeakers that are evaluated by listening to... (start again reading)

Aufnahmen, die mit Mikrofonen gemacht werden, werden durch Abhören über Lautsprecher verbessert, diese wiederum werden verbessert durch Anhören von Aufnahmen, die mit Mikrofonen gemacht werden, werden durch Abhören über Lautsprecher verbessert, diese wiederum werden verbessert durch Anhören von Aufnahmen, die mit Mikrofonen gemacht werden, werden durch Abhören über Lautsprecher verbessert, diese wiederum werden verbessert durch Anhören von Aufnahmen, die mit Mikrofonen gemacht werden, werden durch Abhören über Lautsprecher verbessert, diese wiederum werden verbessert durch Anhören von... (wieder von vorne)

• Yes, I remember a big surprise when I first heard a live string recording sound like a sampled string orchester... [[:|]]

• last edited
    last edited

@mathis said:

Yes, I remember a big surprise when I first heard a live string recording sound like a sampled string orchester... [[:|]]

[:)]

You have a sense for the finer points, don't you. Well, in the mean time I throwed the Berlin Philharmoniker CD away, I always had the feeling some things are wrong with this orchestras from Berlin, I just denied it for too long. Possibly the city is a few degrees too much up north and east of Rome

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on