Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,519 users have contributed to 42,236 threads and 254,835 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 24 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Still can't use Lib-Update files...need help to resolve

I have installed the instrument and all of its contents successfully on to my
    WinXp SP2 PC and can use it fully.

I am now interested in applying the updates that I found in the User Area and am having errors during installtion of the updates.

My error is concerning the Lib-Update_xxxxxxxxx_WinXP.exe files.

For instance:

Lib-Update_03_Strings-I_060727-WinXP.exe

Every time I try to install it I receive a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" stating:

===
    Runtime Error!

Program : C:\\Documents and Settings\\Dragon\\Desktop\\VSL\\Install Files\\Lib-Update_03_Strings-I_060727-WinXP.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information
    ===

The dialog box has an OK button and when pressed the install process quits.

I have used the latest installers and have the latest LCC installed as well. All of my License codes appear in the LCC and the VI works and loads patches/matrix/...with no problem.

Sometimes I get a:

===
    Protection Error
    Error 198
    ===

Dialog box with an ok button, when clicked install quits.

I have run the Windows Task Manager to whats going on under the hood.
    What happens is that these processes start to increase in Memory Usage:

Lib-Update_03_Strings-I_060727-WinXP.exe
    vsldaemon.exe
    SYNSOPOS.exe

When Lib-Update_03_Strings-I_060727-WinXP.exe gets to around 26mb it starts Scanning the Volume and when it gets to 46mb I get one of the above error messages.

What is going on?

Please help.

Some of the updates convert L2 patches to L1 and I'm going to lose the ability to load them since i don't have the extended library.

Thanks in advanced!

• Hi Dragon,

do you download the update files to your computer and start the exe files directly from your computer?
    I recommend only adding exclusively the instrument which should be updtated into your Directory Manager. All other instruments/voulmes should be removed.
    This will speed up the update process enormously.

best
    Herb

• Hi Herb,

I have now removed all folders from the DM, rebooted, and then added Strings I folders to the DM, rebooted again, ran the update and now I get:

====
    Protection Error

Error 198
    ====

Hit OK and then it quits.

Please help.

• Hello to everyone that reads this.

I was finally able to get the updates to work.

Here is how:

1) removed all the folders from the DM
    2) scanned
    3) rebooted computer
    4) added only the folder that was to be updated the in the desired update
    5) scanned
    6) rebooted
    7) ran update, then it worked

Updates that had more than 3 folders that were being updated always crashed so it worked for 2 or less folders in the DM at a time.

What a royal pain. Hopefully this helps the next guy.

Good luck to you all!

Using this software is truley a labor of love and a time consuming struggle.
    I hope that it gets easier as I move forward.

But wait, there are more issues. I will post a new thread regarding how the VI is behaiving in Sonar 5 Producer as this thread has come to a resolution.

• I'm also getting this Error: 198. The first time I tried to update, my string library was corrupted. I reinstalled from disks, and second time it just would not update either.

I will also try the steps you mentioned to see if this works.

• Ok, that worked but... wow, that's really inconvenient. Do I have my directory structure set up badly? I have my instruments split across two drives, and each is in their own folder (e.g. g:/Orchestral Strings I/, f:/Brass II/). When installing, I wasn't aware that each instrument would make it's own subdirectory.

So, in the directory listing, the installer made lists like this:

g:/Orchestral Strings I/
    g:/Orchestral Strings I/20 Strings Orchestra/
    g:/Orchestral Strings I/21 Violins Orchestra/
    ... etc...

Could this perhaps be causing issues? I've also noticed that any project with VI instruments takes several minutes to load, no matter how small the sample set. I'm reorganizing the files into a flat directory structure on a single drive as an experiment to see if this helps.

Also, a minor bug - if you delete files and reinstall a library, it creates duplicate directory listings (at least it did for me).

• last edited
    last edited

@James Boer said:

Ok, that worked but... wow, that's really inconvenient. Do I have my directory structure set up badly? I have my instruments split across two drives, and each is in their own folder (e.g. g:/Orchestral Strings I/, f:/Brass II/). When installing, I wasn't aware that each instrument would make it's own subdirectory.

So, in the directory listing, the installer made lists like this:

g:/Orchestral Strings I/
    g:/Orchestral Strings I/20 Strings Orchestra/
    g:/Orchestral Strings I/21 Violins Orchestra/
    ... etc...

Could this perhaps be causing issues? I've also noticed that any project with VI instruments takes several minutes to load, no matter how small the sample set. I'm reorganizing the files into a flat directory structure on a single drive as an experiment to see if this helps.

Also, a minor bug - if you delete files and reinstall a library, it creates duplicate directory listings (at least it did for me).

Hi James,

When I stalled the library originally I created a folder for each set ie Strings I, Strings II...Then, within those I installed the library. That way when I viewed one of these hard drives it would not take long to find what I was looking for. I kept the library structured that way on the HD but in the DM I removed the Root folder ie Strings I and only have listed the sub folders. That seems to work. I wonder if putting all the sub folders in the root directory would yield faster loads.

For me all this is now a non-issue because the VI itself keeps crashing and I can't use the library anyway. I will be reinstalling WindwsXP tonight to see if that helps.

I found that everytime I added or deleted anything from the DM I had to reboot inorder to not have any issues. You have to manually remove and add the folder you want to use in the DM. If you moves stuff around and do a Re-Scan it might find where you moved the folders to but it will not remove the location of where they were to begin with. You have to do that manually.

Yes, big pain in the butt!

Good luck!