Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,462 users have contributed to 42,228 threads and 254,805 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Well after much messing, i've come to the conclusion that Apple hardware is very good, but OSX and VI aren't so hot (at least on the Mini).

Have now gone back to bootcamp and vstack with the UA1EX soundcard and not a crack or pop in site.

Now if only I can get them to boot headless.....

• tim,

OSX with VI is fine for me on my MacMini.....

Clicks and pops occur at onset of load BUT everything stabilises after some minutes of play....This is not the case with XP version?

Also ........were you running the VST version or the AU version in OSX?

SvK

• Hi. I think that was part of the annoying problem - audio would work it's way out - so the first few plays it's all cracks and pops then does seem to settle down, or change instrument or leave the machine for about 5 mins and come back to it - even then you would get some pops on sustained patches.

WinXP gives me no issues which is odd.

I think it was the AU version. RAX pops up a window asking to display the VSL AU Host so I guess it's not VST.

Thanks anyway

Tim

• tim,

you are right.....the clicks / pops persist in OS X ......in both VST and AU!

I stand corrected.

Hey Vienna,

I know that the library was originally concieved on PC's, but howz about giving us MAC dudes some love huh?

PS: I STILL think these problems cracks/pops have something to do with "on-the fly" decompression of 24bit files....

thanx,

SvK

• Hi SvK,

Do the clicks/pops persist even when using the onboard soundcard, and internal harddisk?

Thanks [;)]

Leon

• Leon

yes,

But Tom is right......it doesn't happen when booting in Win XP...

So the fault is NOT with the Apple Hardware or OSX for that matter...but instead with VI OSX implementation....

EXS24's never exhibites these problems, nor does Kontakt2 etc....

PS: I STILL think these VI/OSX problems (cracks/pops) have something to do with the "on-the fly" decompression scheme of 24bit files....

SvK

• Oh yeah,

The crack / pops are not limited to the MacMini.......

They exist on G5 as well.

months ago, when I first embarked on "switching" from VSL/EXS24 to VI, I was posting pretty frustrated threads about cracks and pops....

So I started adding more computers (G5's) to lessen the load per CPU......things HAVE improved, but are very far from acceptable.

Cracks and Pops under OSX / VI are very REAL.....and after months of trying everything (ultra fast disks......loading very few VI's........Mac Intels instead of G5s....RME cards....etc, etc, etc.

None of the above REALLY gets rid of Cracks/Pops in VI / OSX .....

IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS DIFFICULT

SvK

• CM, Vienna, Maya....

So let me ask you guys.......

With your MAC rigs, you get NO cracks and pops at all? None?

SvK

• Glad it isn't just me then. I'll still probably get a MacPro or whatever the new tower/desktop will be - twin core duo's running WindowsXP on stable h/w - great stuff....

• This is very interesting Tim and SvK, thanks for being so informative of your hardware performance and software issues--it's very useful for us people considering going down the same road. I hope the Vienna team can manage to find the issue and provide an update for the AU intel build.

• last edited
    last edited
    Just a little update on running the Mac Mini headless with WindowsXP. Managed to go out and buy a couple of 75ohm resistors and a VGA adapter (well 10 and 2 to be exact) cost around £4 in the UK.

Used these to construct a dummy monitor connector as per the link here.

Pleased to confirm that this thing works great. Mac Minis are booting up headless straight into XP which also pre-loads VSTack and 8 VIs, I can control it via Remote Desktop from my main DAW and MOL provides the glue!

Also created a little icon I pin to the Start Menu to "SHUTDOWN" the Mac Minis within Remote Desktop - if anyone wants instructions on how to do this PM me or leave me a message in this thread.

Cheers

(A contented) Tim [:D]