Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,682 users have contributed to 42,404 threads and 255,565 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Sangit said:

again - what's a DG special?! *curious*

What do you think it is???

DG

Hey...Your DG special - Isn't it 2 dx7's put slightly out of tune with about 3.5% of mod wheel....thru a boss guitar phazer????

Ok.....I might be a bit wide of the mark - but these ears haven't let me down yet!
    Wow; Golden Ears. How did you guess my secrets?

DG

• Well - it is for sale in some way, since we have to purchase the OS1 in minimum to be able to download it (as owners of the pro ed etc.)...

Get some lyrical demo here and I'll throw my two cents in... [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@Matt 1 said:

Well - it is for sale in some way, since we have to purchase the OS1 in minimum to be able to download it (as owners of the pro ed etc.)...

Get some lyrical demo here and I'll throw my two cents in... [[;)]]

OK, in the spirit of good neighbourliness (is that a word?), post a short MIDI file of a solo line and I'll run it through any of the patches that Herb has outlined. I can't say fairer than that.

Oh yes, and would you like a side order of reverb with that Sir?

DG

• Is it normal the detaché sound ? I specially like the strong vibrato patch ... sounds good to use with the "old" violins.

I have an idea for a demo, I'll try it

• i don't own pro edition... i'm for the vi cube ... buying pro edition would be kind of a step backward for double the price... just for the special strings thats in no relation. so i can all but kindly hope that vienna descides to release them as a fair pay version to all non pro edition owners.

• I've been playing around with Apassionata today, Herb has delivered for me, its a much better 'movie' string sound. I really appreciate this. It will stop me mixing in SI patches for my romantic /epic cues. Its a great bonus! The only major bummer is there is no leg-portamento. Jumping back to VI 14 leg port in the matrix doesn't work great for me. I also would love 'apassionata cellos'.

• I would rather have Zigane portamento for both 14Vln and 20Vln, as this is much more useable. However, there is nothing to stop you mixing a little portamento in with 20 Vln, as it is quite rare for a section to play the same portamento en masse.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

One mapping info might be useful:
    for all performance legato patches you can switch between normal and portamento using the A/B switch option.
    The same for the staccatos, using A/B to switch between tight and sloppy variations.

• I agree - I've been combining a little portamento Vlns in with the Appassionatas' - sounded pretty convincing when whacked thru the altiverb.....

Nice!

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulM said:

I agree - I've been combining a little portamento Vlns in with the Appassionatas' - sounded pretty convincing when whacked thru the altiverb.....
    Nice!

Now there's no need for that kind of talk [8o|]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Well it depends what he wants. [[:)]]

Anyway, I would love to hear a demo from you when you get one done [H]

Btw, I changed the midi for better legato in my orginal excert as well. Also added the slow tuning a few places.

Braveheart

Well, this second tweaking sound pretty convincing to me...there seems also to be a slight detuning in the 3/4 (in the descending patterns before the conclusion), which adds a lot of realism...is this the patch or a happy incident? [[:)]]

• HHAAAHAHAHAHAHAH pulled your chain....sorry!

But the point I was trying to make was that when you put these great samples in a great space like altiverb or gigapulse - they do come even more alive...

I will use the correct syntax on subsequent posts.....

my apologies for misuse of the Queens English.........me cockney sparra'

[:)]

• In VI Installer, at cab 3: "Cannot read installation package (file is corrupted?)" I tried about four times on two different disks. It hung at the same place.

I'll DL cab 3 again from VSL and see what happens.

The cabs seemed to download fine. I DL'ed them all at once. On a cable modem it took about two hours.

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

In VI Installer, at cab 3: "Cannot read installation package (file is corrupted?)" I tried about four times on two different disks. It hung at the same place.

The cabs seemed to download fine. I DL'ed them all at once. On a cable modem it took about two hours.

Do check that they are all the correct size. I had to DL four of them more than once as they kept on coming out 20MB short.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

In VI Installer, at cab 3: "Cannot read installation package (file is corrupted?)" I tried about four times on two different disks. It hung at the same place.

I had the same thing...I just DL'd the cab that was throwing up an error - and then no problem

• last edited
    last edited

@yozzayozza said:

I've been playing around with Apassionata today, Herb has delivered for me, its a much better 'movie' string sound. I really appreciate this. It will stop me mixing in SI patches for my romantic /epic cues. Its a great bonus! The only major bummer is there is no leg-portamento. Jumping back to VI 14 leg port in the matrix doesn't work great for me. I also would love 'apassionata cellos'.

Just to repeat what Herb has said. The Appasionate Legato HAVE portamento. You just use the A/B switch, like when swapping from Crecendo to Decrecendo. So whenever you have Legato loaded you also have the portamento loaded.

• last edited
    last edited

@yozzayozza said:

I've been playing around with Apassionata today, Herb has delivered for me, its a much better 'movie' string sound. I really appreciate this. It will stop me mixing in SI patches for my romantic /epic cues. Its a great bonus! The only major bummer is there is no leg-portamento. Jumping back to VI 14 leg port in the matrix doesn't work great for me. I also would love 'apassionata cellos'.

Just to repeat what Herb has said. The Appasionate Legato HAVE portamento. You just use the A/B switch, like when swapping from Crecendo to Decrecendo. So whenever you have Legato loaded you also have the portamento loaded.

Thanks.. I should have noticed that! Even more pleased! Am using this on a job straight away.

• Hi All,

I have also been playing with Appassionata today, and love it!
    I'm missing one thing, though:

None of the Appassionata Matrices have any descriptions in the GUI - RAM, content etc. Not a biggy, but an inconsistency nevertheless...

a well earned rest is in order (as soon as VI pt2 is shipped...)
    Peter [8-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Brown said:

Hi All,

I have also been playing with Appassionata today, and love it!
    I'm missing two things, though:

1) Portamento - can't see it in the matrix or patch assign. List of Legato is as follows:

10 Perf Interval
    01 VI-20_perf-legato
    02 VI-20_perf-legato_4vel
    03 VI-20_perf-legato_Vib-progr
    04 VI-20_perf-legato_Vib-strong
    05 VI-20_perf-legato_sfz
    06 VI-20_perf-legato_tune
    07 VI-20_perf-legato_tune-Ii
    06 VI-20_perf-legato_sul-G
    11 Perf Interval Fast
    01 VI-20_perf-legato_fa
    02 VI-20_perf-spiccato_fa
    03 VI-20_perf-harsh_fa

I can see 02 VI-20_perf-rep_por in 13 Perf Repetitions, but no other 'por'.
    anything I've missed?

2) None of the Appassionata Matrices have any descriptions in the GUI - RAM, content etc. Not a biggy, but an inconsistency nevertheless...

a well earned rest is in order (as soon as VI pt2 is shipped...)
    Peter [8-)]

Hi... Please read the post, including quote, right above yours!

• quick reply!

even quicker than my edit!

had misread/misunderstood A/B switch for modwheel assign. Just got it working. happy bunny.

cheers
    Peter