Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,598 users have contributed to 42,396 threads and 255,538 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

OK, my turn. One version is Appassionata Violins, one is DG Passion Special. [URL=http://darylgriffith.com/production/vsl/Which_is_which.mp3]Which is which?[/URL]

DG

I bet this line would sound terrific with the new prog vibrato leg line. THAT patch is simply wonderful.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

Nice trial and error, you intrepid pioneer. These are the reasons the prudent user waits a week or so before plunging in.

Yeah you are right.......BUT - I'm a "new and shiney" junkie.....

If it's NEW and it's out there and I'm entitled to it......Its going on my hard drive..........NOW!!!!!!

• Dear VSL Guys,

Is there any reason you are not making these available on FTP? Most FTP clients have auto resume and queueing, and the format is designed for file transfer (unlike HTTP, which is really designed for small files).

Kind Regards,

Nick.

• nick, of course ftp is the preferred protocol for this - therefore it is called FileTransferProtocol [;)]
    but unfortunately we had to set up hundreds of users on the webserver if we'd like to allow that ... nothing desirable ...
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Dear Christian,

Far be it from me to criticise, particularly given VSL's largesse in making this fantastic library available (or I'm sure it will be, when I've finally downloaded it, if you see what I mean), but being a last word freak I have to respond.

I can't believe that VSL can write the incredible, wonderful, superb and extraordinary Virtual Instrument tool, but are stumped when it comes to writing a quick script to automate the creation of users based on those stored in a table in your forum database, and another to run nightly to create new users and synchronise passwords.

I recall similar problems with downloading your holiday specials - again, truly wonderful and generous, but dang, I wish there was an FTP site to download them from.

Or is it just me...? [:O]ops:

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

tom, you need to have registered either strings or performance set pro edition and ViennaInstruments orch. strings I extended. if you qualify for the download (pro edition already registered) and do not have the extended library for S1 yet an upgrade from S1 standard would be 35 EUR
    christian

Got it am downloading the files now...I upgraded my Orch Strings 1 and 2 today...can't wait to hear these!

Thanks
    Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

As Christian said there is a heavy vibrato patch, but only an idiot would use this for a legato line. It should be used for certain key notes within a phrase.

DG

Not really, if you are doing anything "in period".....listen to any of the old arrangements done on Sinatra recordings, or virtualy any film score from the 40s.....vibrato is heavy and omnipresent....

Tom

• I'm just beginning to try out appassionata, sounds terrific!!! But I have a question: Are the sounds already linked with some control faders? ex. vibrato control, I presume not, just checking.

• God, if the cellos sounded like that!!!!

• Guy,

The thing to do is play your first note with "Progressive VIB" and 2nd note with "Heavy VIB"

I know it's alittle limiting, since you are tied to the time the Prog VIB takes to get to the VIB....but the result is still excellent....

BTW.........the Perf Leg Sforz is GREAT for Accent notes + the fact that it goes into a loop on the quiet portion is awesome.

SvK

• That is a sweet combination, got any more like that? [:D]

• Guy,

Also include the "Perf_Repition / Perf-Leg Patch" and keyswitch to it for repeating the same note in 8ths or 4th notes.....

And last but not least......include the 3 second and 6 second decresc (set AB switch permanently to decresc) and keyswitch to it for fade out notes...

Oh yeah...........On Performance TAB turn on Velocity Cross-Fade, right click it's fader and assign mod-wheel. (But you already knew that one [;)]

That's it.

SvK

• I downloaded the files.

I chose a drive and folder to install into (I'm on a Mac).

I clicked INSTALL.

Up comes a window wanting me to type in some kind of path (there is no browse button, I have already done that step.) It is as if it is installing the files in the background when this message comes up asking me to "Insert a disk" etc.

What is going on???

Tom

• Sorry for this double post....

Tom

• Guy

The one above is the dedicated Legato Violin...

Now for the 2nd "pad style" Violin Instrument

Create 6 horizontal cells, and set them to keyswitch

Cell1: sus_Vib-progr keyE1
    Cell2: dyn-me_2s keyF1
    Cell3: pfp-4s keyF#1
    Cell4: dyn-me_3s keyG1
    Cell5: pfp_6s keyG#1
    Cell6: dyn-me_4s keyA1

Make sure the A/B switch for the "dyn-me" is set to decresc......

Example: keyswitch to pfp-4s and play 2notes g+a hold them until pfp is at loudest then keyswitch to "dyn-me_3s and play f#+a#

Now play the same notes again but keyswitch to the pfp-6 sec and hold till it is at its loudest, then keyswitch to dyn-me_4sec.

you get the idea [;)]

INSTANT bernard herrmann

PS: On this instrument leave velocity cross-fading turned OFF

I also include a 7th cell and assign it to the staccatos.......I then can do those super tense pfp to staccato type deals.

SvK

SvK

• Tokm....

You need to launch the APP called .........LibrAry installer and then direct yourself to the package file...

Remeber? Just like when you first installed VI.

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

Tokm....

You need to launch the APP called .........LibrAry installer and then direct yourself to the package file...

Remeber? Just like when you first installed VI.

SvK

Wait, I was launching the wrong installer app...got it! It's installing now....

Thanks!

• Tom

1) You should have a folder with 13 cabs and 1 package file.....Make sure that EACH cab is circa 120 meg big EXCEPT the last cab which I think is about 16 meg.......

If they the first 12 cabs are NOT all 120 meg big, then you have bad downloads.......just read this entire thread for how to download them easier.

2) Launch Library Installer....direct yourself to the package file and set the destination to where the whole library is......this will take some minutes to expand files.

3) Launch VIenna Directory manager and ADD Apass Strings.....

That's it.

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

Not really, if you are doing anything "in period".....listen to any of the old arrangements done on Sinatra recordings, or virtualy any film score from the 40s.....vibrato is heavy and omnipresent....

Tom

Sorry, you don't understand how violin technique works. You can't play everything with heavy vibrato. The sustained notes have it, but the hand has to stop moving in order to change the note. Actually, you can do a kind of vibrato on faster notes, but it can't be as wide, therefore the heavy vibrato notes can't be used on all notes. Just try it and you will find that it sounds like a bad LFO. The 40's recordings use a different sort of vibrato anyway, so there is not much point in comparing these with AV.

DG

• And I think that 40's vibrato was what Matt1 was looking for - just a guess.