Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,889 users have contributed to 42,423 threads and 255,651 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 27 new user(s).

• i don't own pro edition... i'm for the vi cube ... buying pro edition would be kind of a step backward for double the price... just for the special strings thats in no relation. so i can all but kindly hope that vienna descides to release them as a fair pay version to all non pro edition owners.

• I've been playing around with Apassionata today, Herb has delivered for me, its a much better 'movie' string sound. I really appreciate this. It will stop me mixing in SI patches for my romantic /epic cues. Its a great bonus! The only major bummer is there is no leg-portamento. Jumping back to VI 14 leg port in the matrix doesn't work great for me. I also would love 'apassionata cellos'.

• I would rather have Zigane portamento for both 14Vln and 20Vln, as this is much more useable. However, there is nothing to stop you mixing a little portamento in with 20 Vln, as it is quite rare for a section to play the same portamento en masse.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

One mapping info might be useful:
    for all performance legato patches you can switch between normal and portamento using the A/B switch option.
    The same for the staccatos, using A/B to switch between tight and sloppy variations.

• I agree - I've been combining a little portamento Vlns in with the Appassionatas' - sounded pretty convincing when whacked thru the altiverb.....

Nice!

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulM said:

I agree - I've been combining a little portamento Vlns in with the Appassionatas' - sounded pretty convincing when whacked thru the altiverb.....
    Nice!

Now there's no need for that kind of talk [8o|]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Well it depends what he wants. [[:)]]

Anyway, I would love to hear a demo from you when you get one done [H]

Btw, I changed the midi for better legato in my orginal excert as well. Also added the slow tuning a few places.

Braveheart

Well, this second tweaking sound pretty convincing to me...there seems also to be a slight detuning in the 3/4 (in the descending patterns before the conclusion), which adds a lot of realism...is this the patch or a happy incident? [[:)]]

• HHAAAHAHAHAHAHAH pulled your chain....sorry!

But the point I was trying to make was that when you put these great samples in a great space like altiverb or gigapulse - they do come even more alive...

I will use the correct syntax on subsequent posts.....

my apologies for misuse of the Queens English.........me cockney sparra'

[:)]

• In VI Installer, at cab 3: "Cannot read installation package (file is corrupted?)" I tried about four times on two different disks. It hung at the same place.

I'll DL cab 3 again from VSL and see what happens.

The cabs seemed to download fine. I DL'ed them all at once. On a cable modem it took about two hours.

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

In VI Installer, at cab 3: "Cannot read installation package (file is corrupted?)" I tried about four times on two different disks. It hung at the same place.

The cabs seemed to download fine. I DL'ed them all at once. On a cable modem it took about two hours.

Do check that they are all the correct size. I had to DL four of them more than once as they kept on coming out 20MB short.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

In VI Installer, at cab 3: "Cannot read installation package (file is corrupted?)" I tried about four times on two different disks. It hung at the same place.

I had the same thing...I just DL'd the cab that was throwing up an error - and then no problem

• last edited
    last edited

@yozzayozza said:

I've been playing around with Apassionata today, Herb has delivered for me, its a much better 'movie' string sound. I really appreciate this. It will stop me mixing in SI patches for my romantic /epic cues. Its a great bonus! The only major bummer is there is no leg-portamento. Jumping back to VI 14 leg port in the matrix doesn't work great for me. I also would love 'apassionata cellos'.

Just to repeat what Herb has said. The Appasionate Legato HAVE portamento. You just use the A/B switch, like when swapping from Crecendo to Decrecendo. So whenever you have Legato loaded you also have the portamento loaded.

• last edited
    last edited

@yozzayozza said:

I've been playing around with Apassionata today, Herb has delivered for me, its a much better 'movie' string sound. I really appreciate this. It will stop me mixing in SI patches for my romantic /epic cues. Its a great bonus! The only major bummer is there is no leg-portamento. Jumping back to VI 14 leg port in the matrix doesn't work great for me. I also would love 'apassionata cellos'.

Just to repeat what Herb has said. The Appasionate Legato HAVE portamento. You just use the A/B switch, like when swapping from Crecendo to Decrecendo. So whenever you have Legato loaded you also have the portamento loaded.

Thanks.. I should have noticed that! Even more pleased! Am using this on a job straight away.

• Hi All,

I have also been playing with Appassionata today, and love it!
    I'm missing one thing, though:

None of the Appassionata Matrices have any descriptions in the GUI - RAM, content etc. Not a biggy, but an inconsistency nevertheless...

a well earned rest is in order (as soon as VI pt2 is shipped...)
    Peter [8-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Brown said:

Hi All,

I have also been playing with Appassionata today, and love it!
    I'm missing two things, though:

1) Portamento - can't see it in the matrix or patch assign. List of Legato is as follows:

10 Perf Interval
    01 VI-20_perf-legato
    02 VI-20_perf-legato_4vel
    03 VI-20_perf-legato_Vib-progr
    04 VI-20_perf-legato_Vib-strong
    05 VI-20_perf-legato_sfz
    06 VI-20_perf-legato_tune
    07 VI-20_perf-legato_tune-Ii
    06 VI-20_perf-legato_sul-G
    11 Perf Interval Fast
    01 VI-20_perf-legato_fa
    02 VI-20_perf-spiccato_fa
    03 VI-20_perf-harsh_fa

I can see 02 VI-20_perf-rep_por in 13 Perf Repetitions, but no other 'por'.
    anything I've missed?

2) None of the Appassionata Matrices have any descriptions in the GUI - RAM, content etc. Not a biggy, but an inconsistency nevertheless...

a well earned rest is in order (as soon as VI pt2 is shipped...)
    Peter [8-)]

Hi... Please read the post, including quote, right above yours!

• quick reply!

even quicker than my edit!

had misread/misunderstood A/B switch for modwheel assign. Just got it working. happy bunny.

cheers
    Peter

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Brown said:

quick reply!

even quicker than my edit!

had misread/misunderstood A/B switch for modwheel assign. Just got it working. happy bunny.

cheers
    Peter

[:D]

• Thanks PaulM. Yes, I re-downloaded cab 3 to get it working. That got me as far as cab 6. DL'ed that and got past it in Installer. Now 7 is corrupted. Re-downloading that currently.

I'm wondering if concurrent downloads might have contributed to corrupted files. But I doubt that anyone could say for sure. And I see others did it successfully.

• As others I downloaded cab3 trice, and cab4 and another I cant remember twice.

• Daryl - come on bro - tell us how you did the second one!!!!!!!!

[:D]

Rob