Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,965 users have contributed to 42,268 threads and 254,960 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Daryl,
    I didn't know Nuendo covered all the Cubase workings as well. Anyway, I've just downloaded the manual and presentation PDF, so i'll have a browse.

Thanks for the info,

Alex.

In mathematical terms Cubase is a subset of Nuendo.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@R.K. said:

Yes Its just you. JWL You're a perfectionist and plenty of energy to boot, obviously.
    Must be nice. thanks for the info by the way. Its is very helpfull.

I'll take these as positives... I think...

Don't know how helpful I've been if you think I'm swimming alone in this regard, but good luck on your book.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Sequencer notation is CR*P!!!"

DG

JWL

Yes of-course I meant it as a compliment.

And DG, is cubases notation that bad !! I had no Idea.

• I skimmed this thread and didn't see anyone mention that there's no such thing as IRQ on a Mac, nor is there BIOS. Intel Macs have the next thing after BIOS, whatever it's called, but as far as I know you don't have to use it (anymore than you have to use the terminal and fool around with Unix nonsense).

• last edited
    last edited

@R.K. said:

Try sending the output to a Publisher and you'll soon find out [[:|]]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@R.K. said:

Try sending the output to a Publisher and you'll soon find out [[:|]]

DG

My publisher wants more, more , more, Its more money for him.

I'm sorry to hear that its different with your DAW.

Correct me if I'm wrong DG, But arn't most conductors or concert scores in hollywood are non transcribed ? and a copiest is almost always used who writes orchestra parts by hand ? If thats the case then its just a luxury to hire a copiest who loves what he does. And saves alot of printing time. Notation programs have to be mastered or else they are just an agony. After all its just notes in uniform distributed on paper, made clear to see. Providing one has complete control over with ease.

As far as what nick just posted, I have no Idea what you guys are talking about.
    I'm just, have my system working and then off to work i go. By the way that took years to get. So the old saying if it works , don't fix it. Is worth alot.

How's that DG , I hope I'm not ticking you off. Are you still a happy person ?
    Thats more important to me. If not just say so , I'll swash buckle my face for you.

By the way DG, I want you to know that I anaiyzed and dissected your piano compositions and picked up a few pointers from them. Had Bach or Mozart or Carmen written your compositions, they would no doubt be in their top masterpieces, and I don't see the time of day how you can write that prolificly and yet not orchestrate them by now. Maybe one needs a MAC to fulfill ones habitats.
    To MAc or not to MAC. I believe that qoute came from a chap in your neigborhood.

• last edited
    last edited

@R.K. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong DG, But arn't most conductors or concert scores in hollywood are non transcribed ? and a copiest is almost always used who writes orchestra parts by hand ? If thats the case then its just a luxury to hire a copiest who loves what he does. And saves alot of printing time. Notation programs have to be mastered or else they are just an agony. After all its just notes in uniform distributed on paper, made clear to see. Providing one has complete control over with ease.

It really depends of what composers we're talking about. Most things are transcribed into a notation program for preparing the musicians' parts. The benefits of this are that it is very easy to make drastic changes if necessary. I have seen a bevy of copyists with their laptops sitting around at sessions just waiting for the first big re-write. I don't know of any orchestral composer whose music is not computer transcribed these days.

However, the music preparation team can receive their "dots" in various ways.

1) It can come directly from the composer in pencil manuscript (very rare nowadays).
    2) Directly from the composer in sequencer notation. This is used as a guide and the copyists will re-input it (maybe from the MIDI file) into a dedicated notation program.
    3) Directly from the composer in Finale or Sibelius. The copyists will tidy up the scores and then extract and print the parts.
    4) A pencil score from the orchestrator
    5) A Sibelius or Finale score form the orchestrator.

DG

• Daryl,
    Just spent a goodly time going through the Nuendo manuals. Come a long way from the beginning, hasn't it!
    Some questions, if you are willing.
    Do you use this for video as well? (Converted in some way?)
    How much can you load before the boat starts swaying? (to use a nautical analogy.)
    How tight is the midi clock? Do you use an external device?
    In terms of FX Teleport, are there limits to how many boxes you can lash together?

I'd appreciate any help with this, as i seem to getting some fairly steady work here, and i think i'm going to have so invest in some more gear.
    (Did 3 cartoon jobs right in the laptop, freezing, bouncing, etc. fighting like a maniac to get it all right in the end. Too many workarounds, and the LP's whining it's heart out. Still, they were interested when i wrote the cue themes in front of them, sitting in a little flat with a LP.)

Nuendo does look promising as a alternative, at this stage.
    You also mentioned GS. I've asked questions elsewhere about the GVI, so if i get anything substantial i'll certainly pass it on, but you are definitely going to know more about than I, as i've never used GS.

Regards,

Alex.

• Thanks for the Transcription DG, As you notice I'm back about ten years or so.

But I've managed to master Logic's notation and can very easily make it look very presentable. No Copyist needed. With the new VI of-course its a whole new way of scoring which leaves me behind, but I write for myself, I'm greatfull so far I can pay my bills, thats all I ask for. One Mac, independent, with liberty and justice for all.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I'd appreciate any help with this, as i seem to getting some fairly steady work here, and i think i'm going to have so invest in some more gear.
    (Did 3 cartoon jobs right in the laptop, freezing, bouncing, etc. fighting like a maniac to get it all right in the end. Too many workarounds, and the LP's whining it's heart out. Still, they were interested when i wrote the cue themes in front of them, sitting in a little flat with a LP.)

Nuendo does look promising as a alternative, at this stage.
    You also mentioned GS. I've asked questions elsewhere about the GVI, so if i get anything substantial i'll certainly pass it on, but you are definitely going to know more about than I, as i've never used GS.
    GS has been rock solid for me, but I would say that if you are intending to get it wait until GVI is released and all the winkles have been ironed out. The only real reason to get GS would be if you intend to do copious editing of the wav files of your samples, as I believe that GVI is lacking in this area.

If you need more info either PM me or drop me an email and I'll try to help as best I can.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

It does play Quicktime movies, but unfortunately as Apple doesn't know how to write applications for PC
    LOL - this is what i've also often thought in the past, i had severe problems with some QTversions on windows.
    but lately i found this on a secret place: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
    it comes without iTunes helper and iPod services and all the other *contaminations* - runs very stable here
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

If you need more info either PM me or drop me an email and I'll try to help as best I can.

DG

Thanks Daryl,

I'll go through the manual, and see what else is there.

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

...........but lately i found this on a secret place: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
    it comes without iTunes helper and iPod services and all the other *contaminations* - runs very stable here
    christian

Thanks Christian; I'll check it out.

DG

• The new intel macs boot in Windows XP and OS X

soooo....

Mac it is [;)]

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

The new intel macs boot in Windows XP and OS X

soooo....

Mac it is [;)]

SvK

Haha, this is true. If anyone is interested in reading about this new news go here...this was posted earlier today about MAC allowing Windwos boot.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/04/05/apple.software.ap/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/04/05/apple.software.ap/index.html

Keep in mind, it does not say anything about the upcoming Windows VISTA. So there's still more things to learn I would assume before making this a final decision, though tempting hehe. It does hold a lot of promise, so we'll see what happens.

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

The new intel macs boot in Windows XP and OS X

soooo....

Mac it is [;)]

SvK

You can't run any programs on these MACs, but who cares about that, right? [8-)]

Of course nobody yet knows what a dual boot machine will be like for audio; I'm sure that there will be some applications that will have problems, even when there are programs running.

However, it's good to see that Apple is bowing to the inevitable.

DG