Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,980 users have contributed to 42,333 threads and 255,216 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• OT -( sort of )mixing on logic vs samplitude/ sequia

i was wondering if any logic users out there have tried samplitude as a alternative to mix- i have over time noticed the "harshness " when using logic to mix, and am considering a different route. - i tried the "warming "
    plugins but don't care for them with VSL.
    thanks

• ... sort of off-topic reply ... [from "Dietz' Top Secret Production Tricks (nobody really wants to hear)"] [6]

Actually, I use those "warmth"-generating plugins (or hardware) quite a lot, even with our Library. Due to the fact that all our samples are so extremely clean, they can take quite some amount of "distortion" which is perceived by the ear as added "interest" - I had great results with plugs like The Tube, TubeWarmer, Magneto, MacDSP's Analog Channel 1 & 2, or hi-end outboard gear like CraneSongs's HEDD 192.

Especially solo-instruments gain a certain vibrancy from harmonic distortion which makes the performance even more convincing and coherent. But also complete sections benefit from this processing in some context - just yesterday I mixed a dense popsong featuring a large VSL string-section (arranged by one of our EXS-mapping gurus, Christan Kardeis), routed through the HEDD mentioned above, helping the tracks to "cut" through the arrangement more easily.

... and nothing could hinder you from using the real thing, like good old analogue tape, or tube gear ;-]

... this may not help you in your fact-finding mission concerning Sequioa, but anyway ... :-]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Also look at DUY Valve - this is currently available for VST/RTAS/TDM and the AU should be available soon.

Works very well on its own.

Or use it in combination with DUY Wide you can enrich the bass harmonics of the lower timbre string instruments.

As with all things - best used in moderation - I often find I can get the harmonic depth I require by using the Aux/Bus Send EQ technique.

I think you can download a demo from their site.

tattie

----if we all use the same mix of plug we would all end up sounding the same [:)]

• I use sampliitude 7.1 all the time. It gives the best sound of any recording program. There's also an upgrade deal available that lets yoiu get it for $450. We have it at this link: http://www.truespec.com/store/software/index.shtml

Sequoia is the same program with the same audio engine, but an enhanced audio object editor for nearly twice the money. However , changes are coming that will further separate the two programs. to warrant the higher price. 7.1 also has VSTi so you can use a Powercore and any other VSTi plug-in.

With Vienna it catches detail you can't believe.

Check out www.samplitude.com for features and more info.

PA