Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,469 users have contributed to 42,230 threads and 254,808 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

"Does this still apply when VI's are opened as an AU within Logic or is it back to the single app limit."

I'd like to know this too. Also, is it possible to open VI on the same Mac both as a plug-in within Logic and a stand-alone (hoping to gain more sample memory)?

I appreciate the updates on your testing and read them eagerly.

As pointed out in previous posting, VI AU uses an AU Server App.
    This is: 1 Application for all AUs
    But: indeed you can open standalone in parallel. In this case audio is _not_ routed back.
    You even can make a copy of standalone and run 2 standalones (and AU host)
    If this is an issue we will add virtual MIDI ports.
    Pls note: this has _not_ been tested.

The Sphinx presumes: VSL might work on an integrated multicomputer platform.
    (shh, don't tell anybody)

thanks

chrisT (development)

For those of us not as knowledgable as you are about AU's and how they work, I think seeing screen shots of this is implemented would be very helpful.

BTW, the "Sphinx" presumes nothing. Presume is a synonym for assume which means, at least in marketing circles, ass/u/me.

Marketing issues DO drive product development. VSL users sequence on both Mac and PC platforms, and VSL has developed its Vienna Instrument to work on both platforms. The "giant" customer wish from customers is to do everything on a single computer.

Unless the "Sphinx" has missed something, VI is on both platforms. But! Possibly there could be a third platform, and this third option would eliminate the constant update issues found with both Apple and Wintel systems - Linux. Since you're using the Vienna Keys for copy protection, is it possible for them to be programmed to be used on Linux?

If the answer is yes, then there's one possible server solution. And, there are already sequencing/digital audio programs in Linux from smaller companies. So the opportunity to have a front end could be a licensing step away.

Every time the OS updates, you have to update. That's money spent on development that might be avoided with an alternate approach. Every time the OS updates, at some point, the customers have to update and for working professionals, that means down time and lost income, along with all the other stuff that goes into updating.

If you had a consistently stable OS, that means development goes into the developing the product, and not just adapting it to the newest OS changes, as we've already seen mentioned with those asking about Logic 7.2 compatibility on the new Apple systems.

Anyway, these are but ideas and insights. But I think it's appropriate for the Sphinx to quote former British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli who said, "The art of statesmanship is to foresee the inevitable and to expedite its occurance."

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

But: indeed you can open standalone in parallel. In this case audio is _not_ routed back.

Hm. So how would you route the audio from the stand-alone/server progam to your digital audio sequencer in this set-up, Golem?

And I'm a little unclear - as a practical matter, does this mean you can approach 8GB (or 16 in a quad)? You can open both AU and stand-alone Kontakt 2s, for example, but it's not a practical solution due to the excessive CPU load.

• last edited
    last edited

@Nick Batzdorf said:

Hm. So how would you route the audio from the stand-alone/server progam to your digital audio sequencer in this set-up, Golem?

The question was if app limits can be pushed further. And multiple
    VI AU's use 1 serverApp. Audiostream is handled by host as usual.
    This is only a technical issue and should not concern the user.

Standalones are different insofar that audiostreams cannot be routed other than to audio drivers. But you can run them in parallel, tho.

So: VI AU is just an AU !

thanks

chrisT

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Some audio cards have the ability to route into sequencers (e.g. RME Multiface using Total Mix). I've never tried it, but I believe that it can be done, so this might be what you're looking for. However I would imagine that the number of inputs would only be as many as the physical ones on the soundcard.

DG

• will all of the VI products be available this month? I remeber some product will be released on April, but now I cannot find that message.

thanks

• The first 5 Collections will be available this month: Solo Strings, Chamber Strings, Orchestral Strings I, Orchestral Strings II, Woodwinds I.
    Cheers, Martin