Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Running new VI on slaves??

With SX as your host (for those using this) - what is the final word on the best way to 'link up' the new VI running on PC slaves. I am running successfully now using the MOL CP with GS on the slaves (ADAT connection from the PC slave sound cards to the HOST 2408 MOTU mark 3.

Will I need any additional soft or hardware to run VI?

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

• Hi Rob,

you will need a VSTi host like VSTack, chainer, Plogue Bidule, Forte.... to host your Vienna Instruments. We are mostly using VSTack, but IĀ“m also checking out all other possibilities. This choice is really a question of taste also. Lots of different opinions, so itĀ“s probably best to check out the different programs yourself.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Rob,

you will need a VSTi host like VSTack, chainer, Plogue Bidule, Forte.... to host your Vienna Instruments. We are mostly using VSTack, but IĀ“m also checking out all other possibilities. This choice is really a question of taste also. Lots of different opinions, so itĀ“s probably best to check out the different programs yourself.

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I really don't have a preference - just something that works. I have SX so VStack is the logical choice. Heard a rumor that steinberg is no longer supporting this - any truth to this?

Rob

• I've heard that as well. But it works

• Hi Rob,

I think you already mentioned that once (or was it someone else?0)...

If you tell me, who told you, I can try and find out, who might have said it in the first place and then confront the one who might have been misinterpreted, be it on purpose or not and then .... [:D]

I havenĀ“t heard anything like that, apart from people here in the forum who think somebody has told a friend...

It will be exciting how everything turns out.

I personally find VSTack a very nice and stable and affordable VSTi host.

That doesnĀ“t really help, but itĀ“s all I know.

Best, Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Rob,

I think you already mentioned that once (or was it someone else?0)...

If you tell me, who told you, I can try and find out, who might have said it in the first place and then confront the one who might have been misinterpreted, be it on purpose or not and then .... [:D]

I havenĀ“t heard anything like that, apart from people here in the forum who think somebody has told a friend...

It will be exciting how everything turns out.

I personally find VSTack a very nice and stable and affordable VSTi host.

That doesnĀ“t really help, but itĀ“s all I know.

Best, Paul

Hearsay at this point. I see Vstack is still on Steinberg's site. I am sure they still have it and now with your VI - they have to be pleased about future sales.

Good to hear it works - I'll pick it up when the VI finally arrives from Illio.

Rob

• Paul, I'm a little confused here.

According to Herb, with MIDIoverLAN you're getting 24 instances. I'm taking that to me you're getting 24 instances per system WITHOUT vStack.

Or are you saying that besides MOL, you ALSO need vStack?

Thanks,

PA

• Well, Peter,

sorry to confuse you.

Vienna Instruments are not multitimbral, which means that you need some kind of host to accomodate the 24 Vienna Instruments. MoL does what the name implies: it sends MIDI over LAN, nothing else...

To get the 24 Vienna Instruments, you even need to do a little trick, as VSTack is limited to 16 MIDI Channels: You insert another VSTi-host like Chainer into one channel of VSTack to get 24 instruments....

Hope that helps.

Best, Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Well, Peter,

sorry to confuse you.

Vienna Instruments are not multitimbral, which means that you need some kind of host to accomodate the 24 Vienna Instruments. MoL does what the name implies: it sends MIDI over LAN, nothing else...

To get the 24 Vienna Instruments, you even need to do a little trick, as VSTack is limited to 16 MIDI Channels: You insert another VSTi-host like Chainer into one channel of VSTack to get 24 instruments....

Hope that helps.

Best, Paul

OK, here's where my confusion was. With MOL you have so many MIDI ports per computer system. Each instance = 1 MIDI port. So I wasn't sure how you were getting 24 instances per system!.

So, on the PC, we need vStack and Chainer. Is there a web address for Chainer?

I take it that on a single Mac system, VI is working more like the EXS24 in that you can have as many instances as the system can handle.

Ya?

PA

• Hello,

you donĀ“t "have to" use Chainer explicitly, you can go for any VSTi Host,

HereĀ“s the chainer web adress: www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

You can also google "Forte", "Plogue Bidule" and we will give you more options , as we are collecting and testing every possibility.

IĀ“m afraid, I donĀ“t understand your comparison with EXS 24. sorry....

Let me put it this way:

On a Mac as well as on a PC, you simply assign 1 (MIDI) Channel to 1 Vienna Instrument, and yes, you can open as many channels and VIĀ“s as the system can handle.

Best regards,

Paul

• Just as an aside...

I found it to be a good solution to run a single instance plugin in Bidule. Here's why. You can easily split a single incoming midi port into its respective channels, then route each channel out of the splitter into the plugin, therefor bypassing the single instrument per port problem easily. Essentially, even on a single host you could have 64 channels using Bidule in cooperation with Maple. Not sure how this equates to MOL though.

You can then save it as a template and use this as a default setup at startup (especially since no one in their right mind would want to set this up more than once.)

<a href=http://www.lostandlonging.com/BiduleSnapshot.jpg">