Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,376 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,772 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• There are sample content DVDs, which have to be used for both plattforms (Mas OSX, Windows XP). This is the major part of the install process, and you have to install the big content only once.
    If you want to spread the content on different computers, you can copy the installed content wherever you want.

And there is a software CD-Rom, which includes the Vienna Instruments player software. This software does have a very small data size. There are two different versions (Mac OSX and Windows XP) and yes, for this there will be software updates in our user area.

Production status update:
    In the meantime we've recieved test master DVDs for all five volumes from our replication company, and everything is fine, so our technical departement was able to give a GO. Hopefully Best Service will recieve their versions this week.

best
    Herb

best
    Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

There are sample content DVDs, which have to be used for both plattforms (Mas OSX, Windows XP). This is the major part of the install process, and you have to install the big content only once.
    If you want to spread the content on different computers, you can copy the installed content wherever you want.

Herb

Maybe it's a language thing. You install the big content once, and then I can copy it onto other systems.

Does this mean we need a separate 500GB drive to install all the samples on and then to other machines?

How do the extra dongles work with this or are they for the Vienna players?

Thanks.

PA

• You can copy the content if you like, but you don't have to.

So for example you have installed everything on one computer, and later you decide you want to work with a 2nd computer, so you can copy everything or some parts - for example the string content - to this 2nd computer.

Also you have to transfer the string licenses of your 1st tongle to a 2nd dongle to be able to work with the string content on this 2nd computer.

That means, you don't need a tongle for copying installed sound content, you only need the dongle to open this content with your VI player.

best
    Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

basically the copy protection is based on three levels.
    a) you need a license to run the Vienna Instrument (*the GUI*)
    b) you need a license to load the standard library (of each collection)
    c) you need a license to load the extended library (of each collection)

i've mentioned earlier in another thread: each ViennaKey comes with a demo activation which allows 180 starts and loading processes.

to install the Vienna Instrument and to install the content an active license for the respective collection is needed (the demo activation covers that, so you don't loose time, even if you have no internet access at this point)

after this demo activation has expired, you need to have a ViennaKey with the respective active license plugged in on the computer, you want to run the installation of a certain collection, otherwise the installer will not run.

you can _copy_ this already installed content without the need of having a ViennaKey attached for example to another machine.
    on this computer you now have to tell the Vienna Instrument about the location of the new content (using the VSL directory manager, which comes along with the Vienna Instrument program installation).

if you want to load instruments from this moved collection on your second computer you need to have a ViennaKey with the respective active license plugged in.

as also mentioned earlier it is possible to move a license from one ViennaKey to another using syncrosoft's license control center.

all this and more is covered in the manuals. printed ones come with each collection, a pdf can be found on the installation CD of the Vienna Instruments program.

hope that clears it up so far, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Many thanks to Herb and cm for all that info!
    I see Martin also posted in another topic - it certainly helps to know more about the state of things.

Best regards - Colin
    (...waiting for my VI order....)

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Hmmm! About 2 months later than scheduled...That's some wait!

Interesting.

I didn't think my original post would trigger so much response so quickly...

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

basically the copy protection is based on three levels.
    a) you need a license to run the Vienna Instrument (*the GUI*)
    b) you need a license to load the standard library (of each collection)
    c) you need a license to load the extended library (of each collection)

i've mentioned earlier in another thread: each ViennaKey comes with a demo activation which allows 180 starts and loading processes.

to install the Vienna Instrument and to install the content an active license for the respective collection is needed (the demo activation covers that, so you don't loose time, even if you have no internet access at this point)

after this demo activation has expired, you need to have a ViennaKey with the respective active license plugged in on the computer, you want to run the installation of a certain collection, otherwise the installer will not run.

AH_Now_I_Understand...

The only thing NOT clear, is

1. Are we only getting ONE (1) Vienna key to start or one(1) with each collection we receive.

2. How much are the extra Vienna keys?

3. When are extra Vienna keys available?

On average, I think many of us with larger systems will need 2-4 keys total (strings, brass, woods, percussion).

Two (2)_separate_questions...
    Have you found that using a Raptor drive signficantly impacts polyphony, or will a standard 7200RPM drive be enough?

What Tiger versions with AU work with and will the final software be ready for loading on arrival?

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Alexander said:

AH_Now_I_Understand...

The only thing NOT clear, is

1. Are we only getting ONE (1) Vienna key to start or one(1) with each collection we receive.

2. How much are the extra Vienna keys?

3. When are extra Vienna keys available?

On average, I think many of us with larger systems will need 2-4 keys total (strings, brass, woods, percussion).

Peter, although I can't really answer the details of your questions, I can say that you can purchase another Synchrosoft dongle; in the UK it is about £12. I believe that the Vienna key has the licences pre-installed, but for any other dongles it will have to be sorted out online at Synchrosoft.

FWIW I am to receive 3 dongles from Time and Space. I suggest that you talk to your supplier and twist their collective arms.

DG