Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Best disk cloning software for Mac

Sorry if this seems a little off-topic here, but after a few days of upgrading and updating the software in my Mac, it is finally running smoothly and solidly. I want to "capture" this rare moment...

I guess I need the equivalent of Norton Ghost, but thatĀ“s only for PC. What is the best option for MAc?

Thanks a lot.

Fernando

• Carbon Copy Clone is what most people use. A good idea to use it when everything's working!

HTH

Nigrl

• Ok. Now, please correct me if IĀ“m wrong, but this "cloning" is supposed to enable you to just replace the original disk by the clonned disk into the computer and it will run exacly as the original disk? So then I would not have to reinstal programs, plug-ins etc?

If so, does it work for only the SAME computer, or could I just instal that same disk image into 2 different Macs (providing I have the extra software licenses, of course) and thus saving the time of installing everything on the 2nd mac?

Thank you.

• HereĀ“s another one: Superduper

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13803

ItĀ“s a shareware app but the clone feature is free. ItĀ“s awesome.

• last edited
    last edited

@MiguƩlez said:

Ok. Now, please correct me if IĀ“m wrong, but this "cloning" is supposed to enable you to just replace the original disk by the clonned disk into the computer and it will run exacly as the original disk? So then I would not have to reinstal programs, plug-ins etc?

If so, does it work for only the SAME computer, or could I just instal that same disk image into 2 different Macs (providing I have the extra software licenses, of course) and thus saving the time of installing everything on the 2nd mac?

Thank you.

Well, all the plugins will be there, but you might have to reauthorize them.

You can install the image anywhere AFAIK; but try it out to be sure.

Nigel

• May be wrong but to get a true clone of your system drive is it best to boot from a different drive or bootable CD as the system drive would be constantly changing it's hidden files during the back-up process. Macs own disc utility programme can make a clone of the system drive and this is on the Operating Discs that came with your computer - though if the current OS you are running is a later version you should use the instal discs for that later operating system.

I have also used Carbon CC and Retrospect for back-ups.

julian

• last edited
    last edited
    I'm straying off the original topic here, but this may be helpful:

@Another User said:

...to get a true clone of your system drive is it best to boot from a different drive or bootable CD as the system drive would be constantly changing it's hidden files during the back-up process.

There's a little app called Spotless which allows you to turn Splotlight off for a period while you do backups, clones etc.
    Here: http://www.fixamacsoftware.com/software/spot/index.html">http://www.fixamacsoftware.com/software/spot/index.html

Even while running Retrospect, it is advisable to to have file selection criteria that excludes files and folders containing .Spotlight-V100 for the same reason as above.

I'm about to try SuperDuper for a clone....

Regards - Colin

• Even with Soptlight turned off I'm sure the operating system will be writing and modifying files on the boot disc (unless it's a CD). If you open Activity Monitor there seems to be a lot of activity that happens unseen in the background. So I guess the only way to get a true snapshot clone is to boot externally.

Julian.