Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• always the same question

hi, every one have the same problem and question.
    the only one tuturial is the beat kauffman one but i don't know what vsl think about this one?
    if i must read all the forum to find a andswer ,i have no time enougth.

Why vsl don't put on the site a vsl's tuturial for midi, audio and mix work.
    then you don't need to find always the same question and we know where to find the good information.
    i am sad because i have buy vsl product and a apple quad just for this and i really don't know how to use it.

for exemple a page where we can ear a string violins and have different ajustement for the legato plug will be very usefull [:(]

• Moved to General Discussions Forum.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hello Thierry,

Beat Kaufmann did a great job with his tutorials and it is a valid appoach to the usage of our samples. Other appoaches may be just as fine, as the Vienna Symphonic Library is a very flexible library and therfore gives you a lot of options, We don´t want to limit the creativity of any musicians by telling them how they "must" use this library, because it is really up to them and "good sound" is a subjective matter in the end.

There are very lively discussion on this forum on how to use the VSL sounds in a mix, and there are very many opinions on it. If you want to know anything specific, we are eager to answer your questions within at least 24 hours. You can always contact our support@vsl.co.at or post in this forum.

Beat´s Tutorials will provide you with a lot of information, and redarding the mix, it doesn´t matter whether you use a single note or a Performance Legato, both articulations will benefit from a bit of reverb, placement and maybe some EQing.

I hope that helps a bit. We will of course assist you with your learning curve.

Best, Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@thierry.ecuvillon said:

Why vsl don't put on the site a vsl's tuturial for midi, audio and mix work.
    then you don't need to find always the same question and we know where to find the good information.
    [:(]

I personally second Thierry's suggestions. I'm at the very beginning of a VERY STEEP learning curve and any assistance would, indeed, be most helpful.

• Just as a matter of interest: does anybody know of any other VSL tutorials besides Beat's (& the Ilio website)? It would perhaps be useful to compile a list if them so we could bookmark them for future use.

I think there was a tutorial from Mat Claesson (???) but, alas , I think he's discontinued it in the light of the VSL Instruments

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Beat Kaufmann did a great job with his tutorials and it is a valid appoach to the usage of our samples.

Beat's tutorials are written extremely well and comprehensively. It does get very technical sometimes but it's not that hard to grasp since a lot of audio examples are given. I am sure you will find a lot of information there, from the basics to the most advanced.

A little OT : I started off with the Opus Bundle, and honestly I didn't quite like it at first coz I was having a lot of trouble manipulating the samples. Not until I read through Beat's tutorials thoroughly I started to understand and enjoy the real charm and power of the VSL libraries. So I ordered the Pro Ed!!! [:P] And it arrived today too! [H] The installation is really a PITA hehe but it gonna be a whole new world after a couple of hours!

Cheers,
    Frankie

• i have reorganized the opus 1+2 key switches if you need [:D]

http://thierry.ecuvillon.free.fr/VSL/

• I just noticed that timkiel has a tutorial using VSL with Halion: here's the link (just a shame I'm on Logic).

http://www.timkiel.com/music/tutorials/tutorial.htm