Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,476 threads and 255,916 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Site Licenses

Can someone at VSL tell me how much it will cost for a "Site License?" Is it going to be handeled the same as the pricing for "Side Licenses?" I was told in another post that it has not been worked out yet, . . . Why not? If someone at VSL can clarify, please do so.

• gj, assuming you referre to the sample libraries, more closer: EXS.
    the license agreement of VSL allows you to install your libraries on as many compters you might find usefull for your personal use. in cas you need an additional XSkey authorized, just drop me a short note mentioning your additional XSkey number (please note: it has to be registered to the same person as the first XSkey)

a sidelicense is needed if you like to use your product(s) additionally on a second platform.
    for *site licenses* please contact your local distributor (ILIO in your case) for a detailed discussion of your situation

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • cm,

I did contact ILIO and they had no idea as to what any policy was regarding "Site Licencing." In fact, the guy said it was his first time hearing of such a thing, which left me in an awkward position. The deadline for purchasing the SC/VI at the discounted rate has now passed and there are many questions still unanswered. I still; however, purchased the SC/VI from ILIO and now I am in limbo as to how much all of this is going to cost me because there is no defined/definate plan for the use of SC/VI on multiple computers.

I was told in a previous post that this would be possible as a "Site License." From reading your post, I gather I would need a "Side License." Correct me if I am wrong.
    There is a need for clarity here, 'cause now I am having serious second thoughts about this purchase. [8-)]

Additionally, the guy from ILIO Emailed support about clarity on this issue, and so did I. I trust that in the future, these details can be worked out and clearly delineated.

• Not sure,

but the new VI you just need the plastic donlges and can move each package to a separate computer - so at the moment 10 donlges or so. With the syncrosoft dongle you go online to move a registration from one dongle to another - which does not cost any fees AFAIK. It is a lot of dongling, but quite flexible.

Do not know if this was your question though.

best

• Yes, Steff3, that exactly was my question. Perhaps I should have worded it better, or tried to be more clear. That is essentially part of what I want to know.

I just googled the syncrosoft dongle, it is offered at $49.00. However, there must be a license or registration or whatever to put on the dongle. I need 3 dongles with that whatever on it for 3 computers.

Is that free?

• As far as I can make out it is easy to transfer licences on-line from 1 dongle (quoted at £12 from Time an Space) to another dongle. However, it seems that the licences are per "collection" not per instrument, so that it won't be possible to put Violins on one computer and Violas on another, for example. Many people have remarked on this, but so far there doesn't seem to be any contradiction to this.

DG

• I need the full SC/VI library on all 3 computers simultaneously. Having a part of the library on one computer and one on another will not do. That does not lmake sense to me, there is little to no merit in having one collection (Solo Violins) on one computer and Chamber Strings on another. Who works like that? It is all or nothing for me.

• last edited
    last edited

@gjfontenette said:

I need the full SC/VI library on all 3 computers simultaneously. Having a part of the library on one computer and one on another will not do. That does not lmake sense to me, there is little to no merit in having one collection (Solo Violins) on one computer and Chamber Strings on another. Who works like that? It is all or nothing for me.

I think that you'll have to talk to your dealer about site licences then. Maybe you should post all this in the VI section as you might get better advice there.

There is nothing to stop you running Solo and Chamber Strings from 1 PC, but my understanding is that you will not be able to split (for example) Solo Strings between 2 different PCs.

As far as "who works like that?", all I can say is that currently I have Strings on 1 PC, Brass and Woodwind on the 2nd, and the remaining Brass and Percussion on a 3rd PC. I'm only concerned about splitting the brass, but as there are (if I remember correctly) 2 collections for the Brass I should be able to split it accordingly.

DG

• DG,

I only say "Who works like that?" because I will be running the computers in seperate rooms using SATA hard drives as they are the best solution for the price. Fiber channel is far too expensive and overkill for streaming samples. I will be bicoastal (NY-LA) and my main studio has 2 writing rooms. That's my reasoning.

This is my 3rd year composing via computer software (Logic) and attempting to do orchestral music, so having the library in this way works for me.

Quite frankly, for the money we are investing in this library, at the very least, I should be able to install and access the full SC/VI on 3 computer systems. There are guys that make a living at what I do, making far more money than I, who think I'm crazy for paying this much money for the SC/VI. But, I did it anyway, for my own reasons.

This is my personal investment in my own career.

• If you're moving from location to location, you just need to take your dongles with you to use the software on your other system.

From everything I've always understood about VSL, if someone else needs to use the software, they need to buy their own copy. The copy you buy only allows you to use it. This is pretty standard for a lot of sample libraries. EW products also only allow one user per license.

Maybe VSL has some type of site license discount worked out for facilities with multiple rooms. I've never heard details about it. Actually, I hope they don't. Why should larger facilities have an additional financial benefit over hard working single users?

In an orchestra, each violinist has to buy their own violin at the going rate.

Actually, with the current VSL software, I have no doubt that a lot of sharing of a single library is going on in facilities with multiple composing stations, not to mention people sharing VSL samples with working partners, friends, etc. I'm sure that the new dongle system has been employed to thwart these types of license abuse.

Lee Blaske

• Wow! It amazes me just how insensitive some of the users here are. So I am supposed to travel with 1 dongle for 3 computers; and if I should lose it, mispace it temporarily, or the damn thing break or even malfunction, then I am shit out of luck. You should know that many musicians have too much to think about and with production schedules and such to concern themselves with " Where's my dongle?" I can't even afford for that to happen. And I can't believe that the folks at VSL have not thought about this kind of situation.

I am sure there are others in my predicament. Look, the bottom line is this: VSL, get this worked out, or consider me a former customer.

Regards,
    George Fontenette
    Honest Musician

• last edited
    last edited

@gjfontenette said:

Wow! It amazes me just how insensitive some of the users here are. So I am supposed to travel with 1 dongle for 3 computers; and if I should lose it, mispace it temporarily, or the damn thing break or even malfunction, then I am shit out of luck. You should know that many musicians have too much to think about and with production schedules and such to concern themselves with " Where's my dongle?" I can't even afford for that to happen. And I can't believe that the folks at VSL have not thought about this kind of situation.

I am sure there are others in my predicament. Look, the bottom line is this: VSL, get this worked out, or consider me a former customer.

Regards,
    George Fontenette
    Honest Musician

So I'm interested to know how you get on with Logic given your stated circumstances.
    Do you have 3 copies of logic installed on three systems with three dongles? If not, did you pay for two extra dongles, or did they give you a site licence so you can enable all systems at once? And if they don't, and you don't have three dongles, how do you get everything working at the same time?
    And if you're part of a team, do they work from a separate dongle each, or do you all work from one dongle in three different locations?

And the 'where's my dongle' statement you made is a non event. Muso's have been travelling with a donlge for some time as part of their work, and learnt to look after it, and treat it as part of the equipment. That's the same as saying you wouldn't take a sax on a gig in case seomone dropped it or stood on it, or you misplaced 'temporarily'.

And i know there are 'many' musicians who take dongles with them all the time to use in a laptop 'on the road', then plug in when they get home to the bigger kit. It's part of your equipment as a muso.

• last edited
    last edited

@gjfontenette said:

Wow! It amazes me just how insensitive some of the users here are. So I am supposed to travel with 1 dongle for 3 computers; and if I should lose it, mispace it temporarily, or the damn thing break or even malfunction, then I am shit out of luck. You should know that many musicians have too much to think about and with production schedules and such to concern themselves with " Where's my dongle?" I can't even afford for that to happen. And I can't believe that the folks at VSL have not thought about this kind of situation.

Ideally, it would be great for users if there were no copy protection. Unfortunately, too many people have abused the situation (giving copies to friends, buying one copy and simultaneously allowing multiple people in their facility to use it, etc., etc.). Dongle protection is about the only way a company can make a dent in enforcing the one copy/one user policy. They're a drag from the user's standpoint, although they do have a few advantages over challenge/response authorization (mainly, it's easier to move the license from machine to machine if you're a multiple machine user).

By now, most people are used to dongles. Many applications require them, including ProTools (which is arguably the most ubiquitous high-end audio application on the planet).

You can threaten to no longer be a VSL customer if dongles are used, but that's most likely not going to change their mind. They're undoubtedly losing a FORTUNE currently because of casual sharing.

The bottom line is: If you want to use the best high-end software and content, you have to put up with the CP. Personally, I prefer the NI system which allows two installations per software application. Unfortunately, I have no doubt that there are people abusing that privilege by installing the software for simultaneous use by two people.

Lee Blaske

• last edited
    last edited

@gjfontenette said:

Ideally, it would be great for users if there were no copy protection. Unfortunately, too many people have abused the situation (giving copies to friends, buying one copy and simultaneously allowing multiple people in their facility to use it, etc., etc.). Dongle protection is about the only way a company can make a dent in enforcing the one copy/one user policy. They're a drag from the user's standpoint, although they do have a few advantages over challenge/response authorization (mainly, it's easier to move the license from machine to machine if you're a multiple machine user).

By now, most people are used to dongles. Many applications require them, including ProTools (which is arguably the most ubiquitous high-end audio application on the planet).

You can threaten to no longer be a VSL customer if dongles are used, but that's most likely not going to change their mind. They're undoubtedly losing a FORTUNE currently because of casual sharing.

The bottom line is: If you want to use the best high-end software and content, you have to put up with the CP. Personally, I prefer the NI system which allows two installations per software application. Unfortunately, I have no doubt that there are people abusing that privilege by installing the software for simultaneous use by two people.

Lee Blaske

Lee, Well written. Donlges are sadly a necessary evil these days. I don't like them, not since Cubase early days, and have had the odd problem using them for 'unexplainable 'computer' reasons.
    It's a fact of life.

Regards,

Alex.

• just to mention: site licenses for logic are available from 5 licenses upwards .... although i don't know the detailed discounts ....
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

just to mention: site licenses for logic are available from 5 licenses upwards .... although i don't know the detailed discounts ....
    christian

Interesting. I wonder if it's cheaper to site license 5 computers, than buy three copies, even if you don't use them all. And i'm thinking how it might be possible to install Logic on 3, 4, or 5 computers under a site license, and have access to EXS on all of them into the main box. Would this give more EXS instances, and enable EXS use from slave computers?

Thanks for the info Christian, i just learnt something.

Alex.

• I assume the site license would be for five or more people using VSL at individual stations. Most likely, this would mainly be for schools, or big music production houses.

I wonder if the policy for the SC VSL VI will be the same. 5 x's $11,000= $55,0000, so we'd obviously be talking about well funded organizations or companies.

I also wonder if the specific users need to be named for site licenses. In other words, with a 5 installation site license, do five specific users need to be named? It would almost have to be that way. Otherwise, a facility could set up a situation where people could come in and rent a VSL equipped room by the hour or day, and use the library however they wished.

I'm a bit surprised that the specific details about this aren't clearly spelled out on this website. I hate to think that some people pay full price for this content, while back room deals are being cut for others.

Lee Blaske