Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Just an idea

Just an idea that came to my mind:

Wouldn't it be great to implement a "time of breath measurement" within the VI's?
    Because playing for instance a flute in legato mode of course is limited in time by the "breath volume" of the player, depending on intensity of the tone blown. So: would that be possible to implement?
    So notes cannot be played longer than let's say 10 secods in forte legato style...
    What about this idea?

• That's not a bad idea. Maybe it would be better if the VI would have a warning led or something to inform the user that the human breathing capacity has been exceeded. Of course the VI should take into account both the dynamics of the notes and the time from the last break that was long enough for breathing.

• Much easier than investing development into something like this, I hate to say, is for us to keep the idea in mind when playing a part and sequence it appropriately...there are far too many other things I'd love to see them solve[;)]

Tom H

• Ahh, but then we would need a 'circular breathing' legato patch! [:D]

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

Much easier than investing development into something like this, I hate to say, is for us to keep the idea in mind when playing a part and sequence it appropriately...there are far too many other things I'd love to see them solve[;)]

Tom H

I would have to agree (strings, strings, etc.)

I find 'breathing' with the part you are writing solves this problem of writing unrealistic lines.

Rob

• The difficult part is knowing how much air different instruments need. There's a huge difference between an oboe and a tuba.

• I think this is more about learning to write phrases properly. Perhaps it's worth referring to theory or orchestration references, and asking players what their general limit is.
    you'll need to do this if you chase 'reality', but if you're happy to write what you want because samples never run out of air, go for it.
    The question is, do you write with samples as a precursor to the possibility of getting your music played live, or do you write with samples as the desired end result?

Regards,

Alex.

• I'd have thought though that you only experience this problem when using the LOOPed instruments, all the other notes were physically played by someone.

• last edited
    last edited

@timkiel said:

I'd have thought though that you only experience this problem when using the LOOPed instruments, all the other notes were physically played by someone.

Could be off base here but using a legato patch (without breaks) you could have the 'sample player' play beyond human capacity (not inclusive of circular breathing of course.)

Rob

• Yeah possibly, not sure. One of my gripes with the old VSL was that the legato patches always ended too early (esp some of the string parts) - i.e. they couldn't sustain quite as long as needed. I ended up cross fading with looped sustains - of cours not realistic.