Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Will I be able to resell the VI's if I'd like to?

Hello,

when I think of the pain I went through after having realised the usage of the orchestra sample library I had bought doesn't meet my need for flow and creativity [:'(] and after someone told me, as far as he knew the sample library's company has sucessfully prevented other owners of that library from reselling it via ebay, I feel a mixture of sadness and fear because I need trust and savety.

Would someone of the VSL be willing to write something about VSL's policy regarding the possibilities of reselling and the support in re-registering of any previously registered and used part of the Vienna Instruments Library?

Sincerely,
    Sebastian

• Please see the discussion here:
    http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=7097
    Cheers, Martin

• Hello Martin,

thanks for your answer.
    I followed the link: It gave me some hope [H] but I didn't find the clarity I was looking for.

And considering to make use of the holliday upgrade offer makes me feel a little bit under pressure [*-)] because I need time.

Would you be willing to make a guess when there will be clarity under which conditions a transfer of licenses will be possible?

Sincerely,
    Sebastian

• just for clarity .... the holiday offer is related to the sample libraries (pro edition and horizon series) ~35% off.
    the upgrade to a collection of the symphonic cube (vienna instruments) is independant - the respective dicounts will still apply after the holiday pricing has ended.
    there is no holiday price for the VIs, just if you subscribe to the symphonic cube you will receive the vienna organ as bonus.

a license for sample libraries (pro and horizon) is not transferrable - a license for a VI will be.
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • License Transfers will be handled on a case by case basis as a special customer service. It will be necessary to announce a license transfer to us, and both you and the new licensee will have to sign a licence transfer agreement.
    Cheers, Martin

• last edited
    last edited
    Hello Martin,

thanks for your answer.

When I read your words

@Martin said:

... on a case by case basis ...

I feel some kind of tension, because my needs for clarity and savety aren't met yet.

I guess out of your need for savety you aren't willing to write something like

"VSL guarantees: everyone who would like to resell the VI's will get support in re-registering the product."

Is my guess accurate?
    If yes, would a term like:

'After having received a VI, the owner has the right to resell the used product within a period of 6 months. Re-registering will be supported by VSL.
    After that time re-registering a VI will be handled on a case by case basis.'

be in harmony with your needs?

Sincerely,
    Sebastian

• I'm not sure but I don't think a 6 month period is really what many people would be after.

E.G If I buy a Korg OASYS today why would I sell it in 6 months, I am more likely to want to sell it in 1-2 years time when the Korg OASYS II comes out. The same would be true of the VI, when VSL release the VI MarkII or whatever the next "big" thing will be, I would want to sell then and potentially recoup some investment.

*EDIT* Actually with VSL this is not that beneficial as I would probably receive a larger VIP discount than I could resell the VI for. However if Company XYZ releases a more realistic/expressive/easier product then I probably would want to resell....

Cheers

Tim

• You guys are making it seriously difficult to trust VSL again.

So the license transfer is going to be what ?
    - part of the license agreement
    - or only in "special circumstances" (whatever that could mean).

Get it together gents. You just screwed lots of loyal users. Some of us are still considering spending $6000 +.

Are you really suggesting that we fork over $6K for rev. 1 software of a library I already own the samples to, that now comes with a damn DONGLE, and you still think you would have the right to DENY me the ability to transfer my licence if you don't think my reasons are "SPECIAL" enough ?!?!?!?!

Seriously - think things through before you sink your company by continually pissing on your customers.

• ok, one more time: you don't _own_ the samples, you have licensed the usage and are entitled to distribute the resulting creative work without further licensing costs worldwide on all media.

the wording was _certain_ not _special_ IIRC - lee's argument is something to be seriously thinking about.

the upgrade paths and related discounts are taking your already licensed products into consideration (remember: no upgrade path from pro or horizon to VI standard, reasonably explained already several times)

dongle - you have to allow VSL to protect its intellectual property and your investment, elaborating about reasoned alternative options is welcome.

version 1 of the adressed software is actually more elaborated than xx products to be found on the scene currently (i'm happy you didn't call it version 0.x or similar) - if you dont like it or mistrust, please wait for version 2.

pissing on customers? i think i have to activate the *bad word option* in the forum. nobody here is even _thinking_ that way ...

christian [:@]

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

pissing on customers? i think i have to activate the *bad word option* in the forum. nobody here is even _thinking_ that way ..

You guys live in a serious Beer drinking country. "pissing" cant possibly be a "bad word" !!.
    And maybe you guys aren't "thinking" that way, you must clearly understand how much of your user base feels abandoned at the moment.
    To varying degrees for sure but its a serious issue.

Debating this point by point seems to be accomplishing nothing.
    the VIP (or lack of) policy was poorly thought out.
    Your dongle license transfer policy of "case by case" is again poorly thought out.

If a dongle is for copy protection then a REAL transfer policy is in order.
    The "case by case" concept is making it really clear that the main issue is that you simply do not want to have a used market for your products.

If your VIP plan did not just leave out your entire user base (for the standard VI) the dongle transfer would be less of an issue.
    But seeing how you did not honor the "never paying twice" issue .....

• edhamilton,

I am dealing here with the syncrosoft dongle (the one that the VI will be based on) every day - no crashes or anomalies. The products that use the dongles even behave more stable than products that do use no dongle (HAL3 vs. K2) - so stability is not related to the dongle itself I think.
    The get broken and get lost is an argument! This is a bit scary. Generally: connect the dongle to a little hub or a usb-extender-cable and connect and disconnect the cable (let the dongle stick to the cable or hub) - so the dongle (the dongles USB-connector) is not stressed that often.

About Digi software and bugs - well, hope VSL is not like Digi and will never get like Digi!

But on the other side, the VSL statement that Vi is more stable than other 1.0 release out there is not at all something that brings peace to mind [:)] If I look in what state K2 or HAL3 are currently and the companies unable or unwilling to provide fixes over months than this is nothing to take into account.

best

• steff3, similar to logic's XSkey number you will have to register your ViennaKeys - so in case a dongle breaks or gets stolen your licenses can be transferred on a new ViennaKey easily.
    christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

steff3, similar to logic's XSkey number you will have to register your ViennaKeys - so in case a dongle breaks or gets stolen your licenses can be transferred on a new ViennaKey easily.
    christian

In a pro environment where production is against a tight deadline and can happen overnight/weekends will there be any available option if the dongle gets trashed mid-session and it's in the middle of a holiday season?

I have had to invest in a couple of Logic dongles over the years (any truely pro environment should have back-ups of their key resources) - their attitude was loose the dongle loose the programme and have to re-purchase. It's not financially viable to have 2 seperate licences for a programme that cost over £6000.

Therefore I would ask VSL to consider ways of providing some sort of "get you going again" service (even if it is a temporary code that could be entered) that would be available 24/7 (via the internet) so when the eventual dongle smash happens (and it will!) it won't put their clients productions at risk.

Thanks

Julian