Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Converting files from Pro Tools to Sonar?

Hello:

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert files originally created with other programs such Pro Tools, into Sonar files? If so, how would this be done? I have a demo recorded originally with Pro Tools and I would like to convert the files so I can rework the demo with VSL samples in Sonar. I might be able to go into a studio and convert the files to .wav or audio and import them that way but I wondered if there is another way to do it with Sonar. I'm using Sonar 5 Producers Edition. Thanks.

Be Well,

Poppa

• You mean audio-files? Then just export them as *.wav-files and you'll be fine. The only thing to be aware of is that the files should either start at a dedicated, common "zero", so that they can easily get aligned again; if Sonar supports broadcast-wav-files, then you can also rely on the embedded timestamp of this file-format.

If you don't have access to ProTools at the moment, you could get a tool like AWave Audio and convert the files offline. If they are SD2-format, you would have to know the sample-rate and the bit-depth, as this information is not available directly from this file-format.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Dietz:

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly I can either:

I: Use Pro Tools to export the files as .wav which I can then import into Sonar. This would require access to Pro Tools.

Or I can:

II: Use AWave(?) or a simlar program and this can convert the files to .wav on my computer even though the disks were recorded using Pro Tools.

III. Since Sonar does support broadcast-wav so I should try to convert the files to this format because the time stamp will make it easier to align the audio tracks.

All I need to do then is a bit of research regarding AWave and the like.

If that's right then I'll get on it.

Thanks again.

Be Well,

Poppa

• -> http://www.fmjsoft.com/ ... the makers of AWave. Highly recommended utility.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library