Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,438 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Rob--

Congrats on your accomplishment. Recognition is not something to be taken for granted. Bravo!! Great score!!

• Sounds really nice! [:)] Where are the other instruments from? Piano? Vocal pads? Synths? Thanks for sharing your methods with us.

• Thanks for your nice comments - I appreciate it.

Janila - Aside from VSL... Piano is Kip's 24 bit Bosen, all synth stuff was Atmosphere, RMX, and a little of outboard Roland JV 1080 synth. Hope this helps.

Rob

• Rob, your work is wonderfully done. You deserve the recognition. Kudos. I am inspired to try a little harder, dig a little deeper. Thank you for sharing your music, your work methods and your sucesses with us on the forum.

Just one question. Did you utilize Kai's articulation tool? How did you manage all the articulation changes? (Ok, that's two questions, but same topic.)

jim milne

• last edited
    last edited

@taatsiaq said:

Rob, your work is wonderfully done. You deserve the recognition. Kudos. I am inspired to try a little harder, dig a little deeper. Thank you for sharing your music, your work methods and your sucesses with us on the forum.

Just one question. Did you utilize Kai's articulation tool? How did you manage all the articulation changes? (Ok, that's two questions, but same topic.)

jim milne

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your nice comments. I am not familiar with "Kai's tool" - maybe I should know more about it [:D]

With VSL (before VI) - I just created numerous tracks per instrument to get the final set of articulations (really looking forward to the new VI).

Rob

• Congrats Rod! This is inspiring news for the rest of us investing our time, efforts and money into VSL. Of course I'm sure your talent was a key part also...

Do you think I had anything to do with it? [:D]

• Rob wrote:
    I am not familiar with "Kai's tool" - maybe I should know more about it

Rob,

You can get a free copy at http://www.qualitystudio.net/fileman

It is a very useful tool for handling articulation changes by changing midi channels before signal is sent to a channel splitter in the enviornment in Logic. Places up to 16 articulations on one track with no keyswitch notes in your score. If you are using Logic then it is very handy. I didn't notice which platform you are running.

jim

• Guy - [:D]

Jim - that explains the ignorance - I work in SX (PC). Sounds cool though.

Rob

• Rob, great stuff.

Question.

I seem to have a lot of trouble getting VSL to do short bows as short as the ones you have going in that second cue. Even the V14 short bows have a little bit of a swell to them and when playing fast, they are always lagging and it's a pain in the rear.

Can you comment on how you did those, or if you did something special to get them to respond so quickly?

Thanks, and again, really neat mix of modern and orchestral genres. Very cool.

Tom H

• Hi Tom,

No problem. It comes from the Chamber Strings (VSL's best string library by far). I used the short Staccs - 1+2.

Now if we can just get those "Epic expressive strings" - we would be home free [:D]

Rob

• And if Iam not mistaken SC will have short stacs for VI-14

Nice music Rob - congrats

• Really well done Rob! Mind me asking if the 'repeated" lines were done manually with fades or with a delay FX? There very smooth... Hope K2 and CS is working out for you. Best, Rich

• Hi there,

Thanks Christian and Rich for your nice comments. Rich, I tried to get a 'repeated' echo on the short string part (through velocity and volume sculpting) but ended up just using a delay [:)]

This Director's temp score was really an awful 'synth only' score. I had a little horse trading to do to get him to consider samples. In the end, he was very pleased though.

Thanks again guys.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

Hi there,

Thanks Christian and Rich for your nice comments. Rich, I tried to get a 'repeated' echo on the short string part (through velocity and volume sculpting) but ended up just using a delay [:)]

This Director's temp score was really an awful 'synth only' score. I had a little horse trading to do to get him to consider samples. In the end, he was very pleased though.

Thanks again guys.

Rob

Kool, thats what i thought... it was a bit too smooth for just velocity ramps... Have a great New Year all..Best ,Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

Hi there,

Thanks again guys.

Rob

Good ears Rich. I am embarrassed to tell you how many minutes I spent on getting the velocity ramp just right [:O]ops: - when in the end just used one of the stock delays in SX [8-)] to get the sound I was hearing in my head.

rob
    Kool, thats what i thought... it was a bit too smooth for just velocity ramps... Have a great New Year all..Best ,Rich

• Yea.. i know.. That Double Delay in SX is actually amazingly simple and useful.. [[;)]] Peace ,Rich