Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,450 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,798 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• Without exception, friends' reactions to VS's VI 'upgrade' policy have been strongly negative, ranging from "unacceptable business practice" to "bordering on fraudulent". This is from people who are actively engaged in IT.
    I, too, feel somewhat bruised by VS's recent behaviour, and understand that it hurts more precisely because VS had - until now - been exemplary; the disappointment is deeper.

• Well put Michael - a lot of what VSL were selling was 'trust' - put your trust in us, you have made a wise investment, upgradeable at a fair price. They have broken that trust and made the product very exclusive instead of being expensive but mainstream. they have lost the trust of many an ordinary punter who could just about manage the prices of the first and pro editions.

• last edited
    last edited

@Beaswax said:

Of course, you're pretty pissed off after you hear the announcement. But then you realize how the world is and peopole will do what they have to do to make some money....

I'm just hoping that VSL remembers something about customer loyalty down the line...

This is only my opinion, but i think customer loyalty has never been absent from the VSL business model. And the 'pissed off' bit as you so eloquently put it, was a result of looking only at the price, and not what you got for your cash. The step VSL took was always going to be challenging, and the discounts offered compared to other products and customer bases have been fair.

When eveyrone's up and running, and taking advantage of this amazing new technology, it will be interesting to see if users down the line remember the generous (IMHO) package VSL offered.....................

Alex.

I understand that VSL probably had to rejuvinate profit margins so they had to come out with a new product. I do feel as if this cube will save me more writing time. Time is money afterall. I'm just upset at the way that it's been presented. You feel like you're having the choice of being burned or being raked over coals..

I love the innovative technology and thought that went into this, but customer loyalty has to be factored into this...

• hermitage59,

Well, thanks for your answer.

>>
    This is based on assumption of your own POV, and those few who may be like minded.
    >>
    what is a POV? (personal opinion v...?)

I see myself in the middle. From your posts (now that the dust has settled...) you write your opinion in a way that implies that it is so, everybody thinks like that and that it is the only way of thinking. "You've spoken with good today, so tell me, what did he say?" This brief reply is about the same.
    There are people who think and feel differently - if you cannot live with that - I am sorry for you.
    Why do you need to put us (even if we are that few) in a corner and categorize us?

>>
    If you then try and tell me that you like the product buit think it's overpriced,
    >>
    I am not trying to tell you - I mean, specifically you - anything. And I certainly do not try to convince you of anything, because I found your other post pretty much militant pro VI. I am expressing my opinion. With you I have the feeling that you try to influence the others - if it is not possible with raving, then you let follow post like that I currently reply to.

>>
    and you still want a discount, then you will confirm a belief many may have that you want it but can't afford it, and this is your way of trying to change that in your favour.
    >>
    Well, have you read my whole post (I mean from what you copied a part).
    I do not want a greater discount, I would like that products like the VSL French Oboe or Epic Horns are not discontinued - because indeed, spending 3 times the price I spend on the original Horizon libs just to get a updated VI version that include French Oboe and Epic horns seems pretty much unjustifiable.

>>
    I don't imply any ill will in this
    >>
    Sorry, but to believe that I think your post is a little too personal and too militant. But well, I dared to say something different after you made the final conclusion for everybody in your "now that the dust has settled" post. What shoudl I expect.

It is not up to you, hermitage59, to convince anybody, and with your way of communication to might be even not easy. It is further not up to you to reflect or discuss my reasons, especially not in the way you do.

I did not reply to your other posts, I think you can figure out why when you read my reply above. If you feel the need to reply to a post of me ever again - please do it on a more open, less militant way. Thanks

All the best

• last edited
    last edited

@michael_maberly said:

Without exception, friends' reactions to VS's VI 'upgrade' policy have been strongly negative, ranging from "unacceptable business practice" to "bordering on fraudulent". This is from people who are actively engaged in IT.
    I, too, feel somewhat bruised by VS's recent behaviour, and understand that it hurts more precisely because VS had - until now - been exemplary; the disappointment is deeper.

Well all my friends think that it is a marvellous policy and that anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot!! See how easy it is to hide behind un-named friends?

Firstly, your friends will only know what you've told them, and it is easy to see where you're coming from.
    Secondly, I doubt that any of them are experts in European law, so your borderline libellous statement has no authority.

As I see it, there are four elements in the VI package:

1) A new "intelligent" sample player
    2) New samples
    3) Old samples
    4) Re-programming of old samples

I would imagine that your reaction comes from not wanting to pay for point 3. However, nobody has said that you are paying for these samples. How do you know that they are not free, much in the manner of the free content that comes with GS or K2? You don't, so therefore your percieved argument is fundamentally flawed. What is clear is that VSL is giving a huge discount for the Extended material, far more than any "old" content would warrant, and you also have a period of 30 days to try it out. If you don't like it, or think that you don't need it, then you don't have to pay for it. I can't think of any other sample company that allows this.

If you really have a problem with all this I suggest that you write to VSL and complain, rather than whinging on a public forum, so that we can all get on with discussing this exciting new product, rather than having our enthusiasm destroyed by a few naysayers.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

What is clear is that VSL is giving a huge discount for the Extended material, far more than any "old" content would warrant, and you also have a period of 30 days to try it out.
    DG

I think a lot of the correspondence (and you have to admit there has been a lot of it!) can be laid at the door of the fact that VSL are not accounting for customers previous expenditure the way they have in the past.

The fact there is a new interface and it is 24bit shold not come into it, whatever this costs should be reflected in the purchase price for ALL customers not in a reduction of the discount for existing users. For example if the new cost of a symphonic cube was 10,600 euros and registered users of the pro-edition for example received a discount of 5490 euros (their original purchase price) There could be no complaints about the VIP price.

The Symphonic Cube extended contains all the samples of the pro-edition so one would expect (if VSL had maintained the spirit of "you never pay twice for the same sample") a full credit of the original purchase price against the cost of the Cube. Now if that means the price a VIP pays is not enough to cover the development of the new instruments then the total purchase price should be more not the discount less.

As the cost of the initial sample recordings, including the contracts with the musicians themselves, will have been funded fully, or to a great extent, by the purchasers of existing products, unless this is taken into account there is a strong argument that says current users are subsidising new purchasers of Vienna Instruments - to the extent that it would not be possible to retail the Symphonic Cube for €9200 unless this was the case!

Julian

• Julian, I understand what you're saying, but the cost of SC (according to my discount) is not very far removed from this. Plus, I've had the use of the "old" content for the last year and a half.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Julian, I understand what you're saying, but the cost of SC (according to my discount) is not very far removed from this. Plus, I've had the use of the "old" content for the last year and a half.

DG

Hey DG,

My discount Full Pro Edition up to Symphonic Cube is only 68% of the purchase price (€3790 discount, purchase price €5490) though a new purchaser of the pro-edition today will get 107% of their purchase price against a new cube - due to the holiday discount.

It's figures like these that i feel have been a leading cause of discontent.

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Julian, I understand what you're saying, but the cost of SC (according to my discount) is not very far removed from this. Plus, I've had the use of the "old" content for the last year and a half.

DG

Hey DG,

My discount Full Pro Edition up to Symphonic Cube is only 68% of the purchase price (€3790 discount, purchase price €5490) though a new purchaser of the pro-edition today will get 107% of their purchase price against a new cube - due to the holiday discount.

It's figures like these that i feel have been a leading cause of discontent.

Julian

Are you including Extended content in your percentages? I can't understand Euros (+ I don't know where the key is on my computer!).

How much value do you put on the time that you've already used the samples for?

I'm afraid that I don't see software licences as an investment of any sort. To me, an investment is something that I expect to increase in value in order to make a profit, and no, I don't have any! There are many business examples of software that requires a monthly fee in order to work at all, so I think that all music software companies are giving us a good deal on this one.

I also think that people forget all the free upgrades (I'm thinking of the GS art files and K2 scripts) and extra instruments that we have been given in the past. I think that maybe Herb should think of charging a fee for these in future [:(]

Anyway, I'm convinced that those people who choose to buy SC will find that it totally changes their working methods for the better and those who don't can work in the same way as they always have, so they've lost nothing.

DG

• Are you including Extended content in your percentages? I can't understand Euros (+ I don't know where the key is on my computer!).

How much value do you put on the time that you've already used the samples for?

I'm afraid that I don't see software licences as an investment of any sort. To me, an investment is something that I expect to increase in value in order to make a profit, and no, I don't have any! There are many business examples of software that requires a monthly fee in order to work at all, so I think that all music software companies are giving us a good deal on this one.

I also think that people forget all the free upgrades (I'm thinking of the GS art files and K2 scripts) and extra instruments that we have been given in the past. I think that maybe Herb should think of charging a fee for these in future [:(]

Anyway, I'm convinced that those people who choose to buy SC will find that it totally changes their working methods for the better and those who don't can work in the same way as they always have, so they've lost nothing.

DG[/quote]

My upgrade allows 68% of my initial purchase price against whether dollar, euro or pounds against the cube.

Pro Edition cost €5490 discount allowed €3790
    £3660 discount allowed €2529
    $ 5990 discount allowed €4560

I do agree I have had previous use of the library but upon upgrade the complete pro edition becomes from my point of view totally redundant - it can't be sold or lent and all it's functions have been replaced by the Cube. Therfore all its value has to be realised in the upgrade discount. Now, it is here there has been the sea change from a 100% upgrade valuation as previously given by VSL for the upgrade path to a 68% valuation now offered.

VSL is a great company, customer service I have encountered has been industry leading, their product is the best. The only millstone round their neck is previous corporate statements "you never pay twice for the same samples" I would guess that to a large number of users (not everyone!) VSL's interpretation of this in the VI upgrade is not in line with their own understanding of the promise.

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Well all my friends think that it is a marvellous policy and that anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot!! See how easy it is to hide behind un-named friends? . . .

Firstly, your friends will only know what you've told them, and it is easy to see where you're coming from.
    Secondly, I doubt that any of them are experts in European law, so your borderline libellous statement has no authority. . . .

If you really have a problem with all this I suggest that you write to VSL and complain, rather than whinging on a public forum
    DG

DG, I wish you'd consider toning down the rhetoric.

First of all, I gave my own opinion on this issue both within that post, and - previously - in others. Second, you are both presumptious and in error to assume that I had not contacted VS directly.

You're also out of line in implying that I had been less than honest in communicating the issue with my friends.

Fourth, very few of the posts in this thread have had anything to do with legal matters or procedures: they have been almost exclusively concerned with customer support and loyalty. (Were one to address the issue of legality here, I wouldn't be surprised if EU commercial law were superceded by international trade agreements and conventions, since VS is selling its products globally.)

DG, you don't own this discussion. While I'm sorry that reading some of the posts diminishes your enthusiasm for VI, I would suggest that you take a hint from yourself: to paraphrase how you close many of your own posts, "if reading this thread turns you off, don't read it."

• hey, interesting developement it's been about 50/50 all the time. [:)]

tele

• I find it pretty hilarious that some people here can waste so much energy to arrogantly protest about the protesters...

I really like it when they say "get over it"...
    As if they themselves couldn't get over the simple fact that some people here still wanna voice their thoughts...

In my view a pretty pathetic reason to make so much noise.. but fun though.. !!! Keep it coming !!

Actually I've always thought the same about little mister nobodies badly wanting to show they exist at any possible little occasion...
    But this is what's so great about the internet.. Every one can join into the fest and say nothing interesting at all !!

More please !!!

[8-)]

• At least you've time to read them, and "contribute" too
    [8-)]

• How could I not agree with you Laurent! I'm no better..
    I spend way to much time reading & adding to the general mumbo jumbo...

And enjoying it... (At least)
    En guerre contre les 'peines à jouir'..

Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-

BTW : While I'm here. I really think VSL should give us a VIP price on the standard edition. Obviously I'm not the only one.
    They probably won't and I've already said I find this pretty unclassy.
    Some will use the word 'unfair'.
    Everyone understands what they mean but someone will obviously feel an incredible urge to start nit-picking on the words.. and moralize about how better than others they really understand things about life and business...
    Thanks for enlightening us all !!!

Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-Chatter-

• 50/50 ?!?

How many companies could thrive if they alienated half of their existing customers?

I am sort of shocked that the number is this high in the poll.
    Most offended VSL owners seemed to have given up and are posting here less and less.

If giga 4.0 and kontakt add speed control etc .......

I spent my morning scoring a piece with my pro edition. I love VSL.
    But my anger over the abandonment of their stated promises has not subsided.
    The funds I had set aside for the cube are instead going to other libs.

Fool me once ....
    Not twice.

WHEN they release Opus VI .... I might buy that. But I will not invest another $6000 with a company that does not honor its long standing promises.

• Ed, I think the same .I don't post cause I think they don't care.I simply won't upgrade from my Pro Edition to VI that's all; if a lot of existing users refused to upgrade they would reconsider their offer because it's a business and they need money.So we'll see......

• last edited
    last edited

@watercolours said:

if a lot of existing users refused to upgrade they would reconsider their offer because it's a business and they need money.So we'll see......

Well - that's a hell of a way to run a f**king railroad isn't it?

[8o|]

• Well - that's a hell of a way to run a f**king railroad isn't it?

No, I don't think so;the fact is that to my opinion and other users, the upgrade path is not the way it could be expected from what was said in the VIP program etc.......so now the only way to make some pressure would be not upgrade, I don't see any other choice.
    To be clear I love the VSL ProEdition and the new VI looks more than good, and I don't doubt that the guys at VSL are really involved in what they are doing and love their job.Saying it's a business is not intended as an offense but......if money was not a concern, we wouldn't even talk about that.They need money to keep going and we, users , need to work hard to buy these expensive products, and so again, I really think users of ProEdition deserve a better upgrade price.

• Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the VI a new product, where the samples have been given new 'backbones' or whatever to make them function in the new interface?

However confusing it all may be (to me too), I'm under the impression that the Cube isn't merely a new color of the wrapper around it with the exact same content plus a little extra; but that all the samples which were recorded, had to be 're-adjusted' for the new 'player'... so that it is a new product after all.