Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,476 threads and 255,916 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Buying Opus Bundle

Hello, I would appreciate any tips on how to evaluate the current Opus Bundle offer (35% off). I'm planning on using the samples as a hobbyist. I was planning on going for the Opus Bundle and then maybe get Solo Strings or Chamber Strings later on. But now the new VIs seem great, and that makes me very uncertain. The problem is that there isn't any equivalent to Opus 1+2 among the Vienna Instruments (yet!?). If I buy Opus Bundle now I fear that in, say half a year, I may find myself in a situation where there's a VI corresponding to Opus 1+2, but no viable upgrade path for me. (I guess it would be like this since it's not possible for non-pro users to get a discount when upgrading from Horizon products to VI at this time. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

So, what do you think I should do? Wait and see if there'll be a VI Opus (but loose the 35% offer), or go for it now? Would buying Opus now be a waste of money if I would like to go the VI way in the future?
    I would also like to hear with someone from VSL if there are any plans on a VI Opus. In that case, what would the upgrade options look like?

Finally I would just like to say that the VSL Forum is probably the nicest forum I've seen. I hope it stays that way.

Thanks!

• last edited
    last edited

@nliberg said:

Hello, I would appreciate any tips on how to evaluate the current Opus Bundle offer (35% off). I'm planning on using the samples as a hobbyist. I was planning on going for the Opus Bundle and then maybe get Solo Strings or Chamber Strings later on. But now the new VIs seem great, and that makes me very uncertain. The problem is that there isn't any equivalent to Opus 1+2 among the Vienna Instruments (yet!?). If I buy Opus Bundle now I fear that in, say half a year, I may find myself in a situation where there's a VI corresponding to Opus 1+2, but no viable upgrade path for me. (I guess it would be like this since it's not possible for non-pro users to get a discount when upgrading from Horizon products to VI at this time. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

So, what do you think I should do? Wait and see if there'll be a VI Opus (but loose the 35% offer), or go for it now? Would buying Opus now be a waste of money if I would like to go the VI way in the future?
    I would also like to hear with someone from VSL if there are any plans on a VI Opus. In that case, what would the upgrade options look like?

Finally I would just like to say that the VSL Forum is probably the nicest forum I've seen. I hope it stays that way.

Thanks!

In some ways you are right about the lack of discount, but in some ways wrong, so I'll deal with this first.

It is true that all users pay the same price for VI Standard, but existing users get the Extended content at a much lower price. Until I have my hands on all the packages I can't be sure, but it seems like there will be "new" content in the Standard as well as the Extended, but the Standard does not include all the stuff that you already have..! Clear so far [*-)]

I can't imagine that there won't be an Opus VI at some point and if you decide to buy that, then under the current system you would pay the same as a new user. However you will have had the use of Opus for all the time when VI wasn't available and you will get a discount on the extended content. Of course all this is speculation as we don't know where or not Opus will be re-programmed for VI, but I would imagine that it would be a very good source of income for VSL.

In your situation I would be tempted to get the Opus Bundle and then buy VI piecemeal. Opus is very good value for money, especially with the current deal. The principal value of VI to me is the potential increased speed of workflow. This may not matter to you, so I think that you have nothing to lose by getting Opus, after all a week ago we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

DG

• Can't really help you with this, I'm afraid: I'm a relative newbie myself but there's lots of chaps around who will probably chip in.

Are you PC or Mac, and which sampler are you thinking of using (if you're just thinking of the Opus Bundle/Horizon offer?).

I hope your stay here is productive and that you learn a lot.

Ciao.

• last edited
    last edited

@nliberg said:

Thanks!

I'm in exactly the same predicament. I've been saving to buy the Opus 1 & 2 bundle and now the offer's on I was about to go for it and possibly the solo strings library too. BUT having seen the VI demos I'd be gutted if I went ahead then later found that there was a VI version of the Opus libraries without an available upgrade path. Can anyone from VSL possibly shed light on what the position will be? Please! [*-)]
    Regards,
    John

• There are no plans to release a VI equivalent to Opus 1 in the near future.
    Best, Martin

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

There are no plans to release a VI equivalent to Opus 1 in the near future.
    Best, Martin

Thanks Martin, that's good to know. However, as I suspect many more are in the same situation, would it be possible for you to elaborate a little?

Does what you said mean that there are no plans, or that there are plans but no release scheduled in the near future?
    And what would "near future" mean - no VI equivalent of Opus released in the next 6 months?
    Any suggestions, specific information or guesses about the future of Opus would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Nils

• last edited
    last edited

@nliberg said:

jamriding: thanks. I'm using Kontakt 2/PC, so I guess I could try to implement some of the (simpler) features of VI in KSP. But I'd rather have the real thing.
    Regards,
    Nils

Well, as I say, I don't know sufficient info to comment on the new VI but if you have Kontakt 2 then I think that you'll have to content yourself with the Horizon Opus Bundles/Solo Strings etc. so far as I know.

Not that that won't sound any less than absolutely wonderful...

• last edited
    last edited

@Martin said:

Best, Martin

We'll wait: life is long, budget is low, and, furthermore, on December 6th ECB will rise the interest rates: we hate to pay the bill, but...

[[;)]]

• Personally I sometimes find the upgrading/discount path to be confusing, due to the sample content of various packages.

If I'm not mistakes, compagny policy is to have you not paying twice for samples you already have.

(So, if you have Opus 1 and buy the complete Cube, the price of the Opus samples should/would be taken off of the Cube price...) ??

• last edited
    last edited

@Martin said:

Best, Martin

Doesn't that contradict this?

http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=6946

What some of us want to know is if the Opus series is going away or if it will eventually have the VI.
    Thanks
    Chris

• last edited
    last edited

@dragonwind said:

Doesn't that contradict this? http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=6946

On the long period, I guess, each of the Horizon pieces will be "converted" to VI as, to me, further developments of the old PerfTool appears to be neither financially logical nor scheduled.

I also consider that 9.200 euro (or 11.000 USD), and even 5.000 euro for the upgrade, are a lot of money; and most of the world is not enjoying a good economic wealth...

• last edited
    last edited

@Chinablu said:

.............and most of the world is not enjoying a good economic wealth...

Yet you can afford the upkeep on a girlfriend? [[:|]]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@mistersynth said:

I'm in exactly the same predicament. I've been saving to buy the Opus 1 & 2 bundle and now the offer's on I was about to go for it and possibly the solo strings library too. BUT having seen the VI demos I'd be gutted if I went ahead then later found that there was a VI version of the Opus libraries without an available upgrade path. Can anyone from VSL possibly shed light on what the position will be? Please! [*-)]
    Regards,
    John

Hello again,

I'll tell you what I've done (...hoping that I'm not going to appear too stupid [:O]ops: with the way things are at present!)
    I've ordered the Opus Bundle and Horizon Solo Strings. In spite of the present uncertainty I decided that at the moment it's more important to get hold of the best package I can afford and to get on with making music using the sounds that I want to use - and they have appeared at a more attractive price than hitherto.
    Even so, I can hardly afford to throw money down the drain, and so I'm gambling that VSL as a leader in the field and a world class business won't in the end leave me and anyone else in my position high and dry.
    I would just urge them to ensure that there is always a way for those of us at the lower end of the pile' (financially speaking!) to protect our investment and to try to ensure that as the whole concept progresses, we're included. After all, our money still plays a part in enabling the company to grow and to flourish and I think we ought to deserve a proportionate slice of the progress.
    Regards,
    John

• last edited
    last edited

@mistersynth said:

After all, our money still plays a part in enabling the company to grow and to flourish and I think we ought to deserve a proportionate slice of the progress.
    Regards,
    John

Proportionate slice of the progress is a wonderflly elegant phrase - but what does it mean? [*-)]

• Having used and enjoyed the Bundle for some time now, I can say this - even if this is it, meaning I will never be able to upgrade beyond what I currently have ( [:'(] ), it is still by far the best money I have ever spent for my musical needs.
    The Bundle is very complete, and very thorough - no end of music with very high quality end results can be made with it. In my view, and I've said it before, the only other thing out there that is actually better is the complete VSL package. [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@mistersynth said:

After all, our money still plays a part in enabling the company to grow and to flourish and I think we ought to deserve a proportionate slice of the progress.
    Regards,
    John

Proportionate slice of the progress is a wonderflly elegant phrase - but what does it mean? [*-)]

[:D] Some reduced?? use of the new system at an affordable price if/when it gets applied to the Horizon libraries.
    Sorry for the confusion!
    John

• last edited
    last edited

@mistersynth said:

Regards,
    John

Proportionate slice of the progress is a wonderfully elegant phrase - but what does it mean? [*-)]

[[:D]] Some reduced?? use of the new system at an affordable price if/when it gets applied to the Horizon libraries.
    Sorry for the confusion!
    John

No confusion John. [[:D]]

What does affordable mean? Affordable to whom? Where is the 'affordable calculator'? I can't it find it on the VSL website.

• last edited
    last edited

@jc5 said:

Having used and enjoyed the Bundle for some time now, I can say this - even if this is it, meaning I will never be able to upgrade beyond what I currently have.

Herb wrote somewhere that VSL Saxophones will be the first Horizon product "converted" to VI (by replacing the PerfTool with the new VI standalone player and maintaining the 16 bit samples?).

There are little doubts, to me, that Horizon Overdrive will follow almost immediately, and I would be extremely surprised to see VSL still keeping the "old" Opus 1 beside the "VI (Horizon) Saxophones".

I'm moderately sure we'll see an Opus 3. The question is: when?

[[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

[[:D]] Some reduced?? use of the new system at an affordable price if/when it gets applied to the Horizon libraries.
    Sorry for the confusion!
    John
    No confusion John. [[:D]]
    What does affordable mean? Affordable to whom? Where is the 'affordable calculator'? I can't it find it on the VSL website.

Mmmm...
    This is where proportion kicks in.
    Maths was never my strong point [*-)] but, based on my (probably incorrect) calculations, and on the price I just paid for my bundle (Opus 1&2 and Solo Strings), in comparison to the Full Library cost, I reckon I should have access to somewhere in the region of 11.862473521264461463255662375754% of the useability of the new interface. [:D] (£728 divided by £6137 multiplied by 100) Maybe that'd equate to a background image with perhaps a single functional button and some dummy buttons to make it pretty!) [:D]
    Another way of deciding affordability would be to look at my bank statement and when they've stopped laughing they'd probably give me the Full Library out of pity!! [:'(] [:D]
    Well.......I can always dream, can't I? [8-)]

John

• last edited
    last edited

@mistersynth said:

This is where proportion kicks in.

Speaking in abstract, a "right price" simply does not exist.

For example, a van Gogh has no price: which could be the "right price" of his Sunflowers? You could search for a compromise by calculating an arbitrary value for each square inch of the painting, then adding the cost of the colors and so on. But van Gogh's inspiration, the balance and harmony of the composition, the light... which is the "right price" of those elements? Nonetheless a van Gogh gets sold at Christie's for n-millions euro, and one could argue that a price is "right" as much as the buyer is wealthy...

Said in another way, there is not a "business way" to the beauty. So, the "right price" is always related to the (theoretical) return of an investment. The price of VI SC could not be "the right price" for the most part of us, but it could be for VSL investors, an it all depends on if they aim to make the Big Money from samples industry. Remember Adam Smith: "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we can expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest."

Sad to say, but it's the world we live in. IMO we should make some efforts to change it.

See also this.