Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Vienna Instrument As Stand-Alone ?

I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet on this forum, I know there was a thread asking the question, but no clear answer that I can find.

So, One more time,

Q) How is it possible to play the Vienna Instrument as a stand alone instrument if it is not multi-timbral ? (as far as I see, you can not trigger parts via midi channels (1 thru 16) and midi ports (1,2,3,4,...) or via Midi over Lan. on one Vienna Inst. instance.

A) .................

I think adding this Q&A to the FAQ list is a good idea.

Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@muziksculp said:

I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet on this forum, I know there was a thread asking the question, but no clear answer that I can find.

So, One more time,

Q) How is it possible to play the Vienna Instrument as a stand alone instrument if it is not multi-timbral ? (as far as I see, you can not trigger parts via midi channels (1 thru 16) and midi ports (1,2,3,4,...) or via Midi over Lan. on one Vienna Inst. instance.

A) .................

I think adding this Q&A to the FAQ list is a good idea.

Thanks.

I guess in a VST host with multiple instances. I'm sure that Paul said that he would post various suggestions when they finish testing.

DG

• VSL's page on Vienna Instruments says you can play it as either an AU, VST or stand-alone instrument. I literally just ordered a new 64bit based PC for GS3 for VSL. Now comes this product and I wonder if I've wasted $$$ on a box I don't need. I'm hoping I can run this product as a stand-alone instrument. Even if that means running several monotimbral instances of Vienna Instruments, I hope you can still set it up on a separate computer that connects to your main DAW. Can you do this, or must you run it on the same machine as your host sequencer?
    Kevin

• I've just made a stress test using V-stack and on a seperate computer, and performed there with 24 Vienna Instruments instances simultaneous, which worked flawless so far.
    (Pentium4 2.8 GHZ).
    Maximum stereo voices were about 100 - 120.

In a dedicated streaming stress-test using 4 instances, I reached 164 stereo voices.

best
    Herb

• How do you send MIDI information from the second computer to your main DAW.? I have a WaveCenter PCI with 2 MIDI ports/32 channels available. That's how my current under-powered Giga machine is connected to my main DAW. Can i still use that method to connect multiple instances of VI from a remote computer to my main DAW?
    K.

• I'm using here MOL connecting 4 slave computers to my main DAW.

• Herb,
    In your previous post, you said you usedV-Stack. what is that? Is it the ability to stack VI instruments or is it a separate utility. How do you assign audio outs to multiple VI instances on a stand-alone computer? Does the stand-alone engine identify your MIDI and audio hardware the way GS3 does?
    If it does, I should be fine.
    Kevin

• Hi Herb, and Thanks for the info.

So, A VST or AU host is required for stand alone operation, (which technically is not 100% stand alone), but I guess makes it possible to run multiple instances of the Vienna Instrument on a dedicated 'Vienna Inst.' computer, via a midi interface, or Midi Over Lan (MOL).

I am a Logic Pro 7.1 user, and will be using a G5 2.5 Quad, (which is quite a fast and capable machine) but, if I feel that there is a need for a second stand alone machine for additional assistance, then I could use V-Stack (VST) since the Vienna Inst. would run as a VST plug-In instrument within V-Stack, on Mac OSX.

I am not sure about the 'VST System link' part of the system, since I don't use Cubase, but rather use Logic 7 Pro, I think Steinberg products seem to usually run more efficiently on PCs rather than Macs, but maybe not a big difference in performance.

I would be curious to know if there are other Host application options other than V-Stack for the Mac (VST or AU) to host the Vienna Instrument (I would not want a second Logic 7 Pro or Logic Express License just to Host the Vienna Instrument). [8-)]

Thanks.

• So V-Stack is a Mac VST host? Herb didn't specify whether his slave computers were PC or Mac. Which are they, Herb?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

• last edited
    last edited

@kevjazz said:

So V-Stack is a Mac VST host? Herb didn't specify whether his slave computers were PC or Mac. Which are they, Herb?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

I suppose Herb is talking about the VST- Host (PC only) by Steinberg:
    http://www.steinberg.de/ProductPage_sbf95b.html?Product_ID=2130">http://www.steinberg.de/ProductPage_sbf95b.html?Product_ID=2130

boulaki