Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Upgrade path question (newbie)

I've been a lurker here for several months - and have been riding along for the announcement.

This news along with the holiday pricing has pushed me to make the decision to buy into the VSL program.

I have a couple of questions though, and I'm hoping someone can clarify for me.

is the SC at a reduced price currently? (Will the price be going up after January 6?)

Opus 1 + Epic Horns is sounding very interesting to me just to get me started. Would these products give me an upgrade path toward the SC or vienna instruments? Or would I be starting over when i make the move to the SC?

As I don't have ANY of the VSL I'm considering Opus 1 + Epic Horns because I could make use of it immediately (as opposed to waiting until sometime in February to start using SC)

Thanks!

iB

• The last Summer Pricing did get up to the normal prices!

read this for the diverent offers: http://vsl.co.at/en-us/211/344/231.vsl

• currently you can't loose .... pro edition and horizon series are discounted (holiday prices). the price of the symphonic cube (collections) is a normal full price. but the discounts on registered products will also apply if you are now purchasing any *legacy* product and upgrade to a vienna instrument later
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I'm slightly confused about this pricing business: as far as I can see, the site seems to be saying that if, for instance, I buy the Horizon Solo Strings set right now I pay £192 (holiday price). Then, in January, I have to pay the standard price of £230 on top of this but I will then get the extended content for a "handling charge" of just €30 (around £20). So that makes a total outlay of roughly £442. But if I wait until January I can buy the full VI with extended content for £297 which is almost £150 less.

That can't be right, surely? If it is right then obviously there is no point in anyone buying any of the Horizon products except for the ones which won't be included in the S. Cube (Glass/Stones, Guitar, etc.) now - if we have to pay the holiday price PLUS the standard price in January then it's much more expensive and obviously it's going to be better to wait until January and just buy the extended versions.

But I can't believe this is the case because if it is what's the point of the holiday sale prices? As I've been with VSL since the First Edition I know that their pricing is always at least fair (and usually more on the side of generous) so I suspect that actually I've misunderstood this.

So can someone just clarify exactly what happens if I buy one or more of the Horizon series which will be included in the VI series now? What will I actually pay to upgrade to the VI versions in January? i.e. what will I pay in total?

Basically, if buying the Horizon series now will work out either cheaper or the same price as buying the extended content in January then I'll go and find my credit card... [:D] If it's going to be cheaper to wait then I suppose I'll have to wait...

I'd be grateful if someone can clear this up.

Nick

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • nick, as you write it: 192 (hor) now + 230 (std) + 20 (ext) vs. 230 (std) + 297 (ext) later
    christian

btw: i forgot - plus keeping the license for hor solo strings for your personal use.

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Hi Christian,

Aha! Now I understand. What wasn't clear to me from looking at the site before was that the price for the extended content is PLUS the basic fee not INSTEAD of it.

I assumed that what we had were two different prices: one if you bought just the basic VI and the other if you bought the extended package. I must say I thought that a price difference of only about 25% seemed very generous - but then this is VSL's own fault for having built up a reputation for very generous pricing to reward those of us who go for the bigger packages. [:)]

I wonder if I'm the only person who thought that the second (extended) price was instead of the basic price?

Even so, I have to say I still think this is very reasonable, given how much extended content is involved.

OK, in that case I'll see about ordering one or two of the Horizon packages on Monday. Will the holiday prices be available through dealers or are they only available direct from VSL?

I'll have to have a look at all the Horizon products and see which ones I can afford to go for now... It will help once the discount calculator is working again!

Thanks again for answering so quickly. You must be exhausted!

Nick

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.