Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,483 users have contributed to 42,741 threads and 257,160 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• Synchron Pro Strings: only multiple instruments?

Do the Synchron Pro Strings only have multiple instruments or can you switch to solo mode too, e.g. only 1 violin, one cello etc.?

Or is this the only solo instrument https://www.vsl.co.at/de/Synchron_Series/Synchron_Solo_Strings ?

• You seem to be new to the field of "sample libraries", otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. Which is not a bad thing at all; there are people who know and can give answers.

No, the Synchron Strings Pro are just an ensemble without solo strings. This should be clear from the product description. Generally, if "solo" is not explicitly mentioned, it will not be included.

Before you buy any strings, look at all possible candidates, because each one is different: this can affect size, playing techniques and genre. The Synchron Strings Pro, for example, are more or less just a supplement to the Synchron Strings. The Synchron Elite Strings are a product in their own right and tend to be a smaller, more classical size, somewhere between a symphonic and chamber ensemble. But there are so many more strings, which is why you should take a closer look.

• Thanks! No, I am not new. I started with cheap keyboards in the 90s, then got another keyboard, moved on to soundfonts because my keys did not work properly anymore...then bought many different libraries (for drums, bass, ethno instruments, choir, medieval instruments, celtic instruments, dark era etc.

The main point is that I make mix of different metal genres with other instruments, e.g. strings, flutes, the piano etc....coming from my keyboards, I only selected a sound I liked...same for other libraries I have. I just pick what sounds good and fits the song.
    Other libraries only have solo instruments, but not an ensemble of them. I just want an orchester with as many articulations as possible that sounds good. I compose my songs in Guitar Pro (yes, midi -> GM sounds), then select VST instruments afterwards.

My problem is that I don't know what I should select. I don't score films nor do I make pure orchestral music. One violin? 4 of them? 8 of them? 16 of them? I don't know. Yes, they sound different, but what suits my songs? I don't know.

I only chose a violin sound on my old keyboards, a cello sound, a piano sound, a flute sound...there were no ensembles of different size...with some exceptions that one was called violin whereas another keyboard preset was called "chamber strings"...but 90s keyboards for amateurs were not that good.

If you listen to metal with keyboards, you cannot really say how many instruments there are because they often use synths.

I have other libraries with a solo cello and a solo violin, but they are a bit cheaper than VSL...so I prefer VSL...
    And I need to make up my mind what suits my songs and what I want them to sound like. It's sound preferences basically. As I don't play live, it does not matter if the library that plays a violin melody (in my song) is a solo violin or an ensemble of a certain number of instruments.

I do have "keyboards", but not that many tracks...the maximum is 2 or 3 -> drums, guitars, bass, violin and cello .... or drums, guitars, bass, violin and piano...

• What is the difference between solo violin and a library with a violin ensemble and both of them have the same articulations? Just the sound or more? More violins = a richer sound, correct?

• So it's more a question of creativity and choice?

Well, that's more difficult to answere by others than you!

But to reply to your latest comment: the more stings, the bigger, the lusher the sound; the fewer strings, the more intimate and detailed the sound becomes.

• I see, thank you 😊

• The sound and timbre of one violin and let us say 3 or more playing in unison at the same volume level will be significantly different. Try it with the solo libraries you own. put the solo instrument at a forte level and adapt your SY Strings to about the same dB level. Even if your solo string libraries are not as high quality as VSL SY solo strings you will get the idea.

Based on what you hear you can decide what you need. In 70-80s pop and even rock music started using string parts often playing arpeggios ( in many cases using synthesizers rather than real players or samples). Nearly always multi instrument string sections.

You might even want a more massive string library than the Pro Strings.

• @Mavros said:
    You might even want a more massive string library than the Pro Strings.
    Like for example Big Bang Orchestra : ALTAIR. Very effective, at an affordable price.

• Here is some more information...

Choosing a string library has become quite difficult these days because there are so many. Basically, all VSL String Libraries offer so many articulations that you can solve most situations without any problems (if you also take the trouble to “build in” suitable articulations for each string part in the respective piece). What I can also assure you here is that the libraries are worth their price. The string sound is particularly tricky to capture. VSL has done this very carefully since the first library (around 2002). I say this without being paid for this statement - simply as an enthusiastic user.

However, it is very difficult to use the most demos you can to, to get a real picture of how the individual libraries sound in their purest form. The reason is, there are various presets available for each library, which make the libraries sound rather close and intimate or rather distant. The original library sounds are then processed by the presets with EQs and other effects. So if you like the string sound of one library better than that of another library, it may be that it is not the library itself that appeals to you more, but perhaps the preset that was selected together with the library.
    It would therefore make sense to use demo licenses to select the library that will ultimately serve you best.
    All libraries have a “default” mix preset. This allows you to hear the basic recorded sample sound without effects. With the SYNCHRON libraries, you can then test which sounds you can create simply by combining the different microphones (still without effects).

The following Libraries could be suitable for testing for your case:

- SYNCHRON Elite Strings: a smaller orchestra for a more intimate sound.
    - SYNCHRON Duality Strings: larger orchestra that can be combined with a smaller orchestra (smaller than Elite).
    - SYNCHRON-ized Orchestral Strings: This orchestra has many articulations across all instruments. This library was recorded in the former silent stage and can therefore be played quite “dry” (with as little spatial impression as possible).

Of course, all libraries offer the various mixer presets mentioned above, which can of course also be changed.

----------------------------

One final note: Libraries can of course also be “layered”. Example:
    You have the string part played with a large orchestra and at the same time with a string quartet (solo instruments). By striking a suitable balance between the two, you can create an impression ranging from a large orchestra to a fairly intimate orchestra. Here is a video on this topic.
    Conclusion: A library with a large orchestra and one with solo instruments actually covers all cases.

By the way, here are a few audio demos where no VSL-Mix presets were used for the strings. So you only hear the libraries without any change in tone - just with a little reverb, of course. Most of the time, the audio demos indicate which string library was used.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope my information helps, even though it might all be a bit much.

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/