Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,466 users have contributed to 42,741 threads and 257,159 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• Synchron Solo Violin and Cello

Hello Andi,

I've recently bought the Synchron solo violin and solo cello. Am I correct in thinking the VE Strings is the right soundset? Has the Sibelius pdf been updated for how to trigger the greater number of articulations in these instruments? Do you have additional info on this? And of the 4 presets which is the best to load - 01, 02, 03 or 04?

Many thanks,

• Hello Oceanview!

Synchron Solo Violin and Synchron Solo Cello can be triggered with "VE Strings" sound set. You can find all details about it here:
    https://www.vsl.info/en/tutorials/guides/sibelius-integration/ve-strings

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @andi said:

Hello Oceanview!

Synchron Solo Violin and Synchron Solo Cello can be triggered with "VE Strings" sound set. You can find all details about it here:

Best regards,
    Andi

Thanks Andi.

• last edited
    last edited
    @Oceanview said:
    @andi said:

Hello Oceanview!

Best regards,
    Andi

Thanks Andi.

Hello again Andi,

I've been testing the Synchron solo violin. This is the first time of working with the Synchron player's dimension tree. When I get a new library I usually write an exercise designed to move the instruments through all the available articulations, checking the commands behaviour and default patterns of change. I soon ran into problems with the Synchron solo violin.

I feel that the Sibelius user needs clearer information about triggering the articulations than is currently available. I see from a quick search of the forum that I'm not the first person to find a discrepancy between the number of articulations and the commands or Sibelius symbols.

First, it seems the single document pdf for Sibelius optimization is no longer available; the online version is harder to use because it breaks into many sections.

Second, the section your link relates to doesn't address the many articulations of the Synchron solo violin (there are only 3 references to it and none of those are actually commands). As VSL's string libraries have grown in number the information needed for triggering articulations in any specific library gets harder to find. Most importantly it doesn't relate to the dimension tree organization.

For example, the performance legato has 7 types, 5 expressions, 4 releases and 3 attacks - the Sibelius user will want to know how to trigger movement to different articulations across the tree (or which ones are unavailable unless loaded as custom cells). Another example: Short notes has 11 types each with at least two repetitions. How are all these to be triggered? The information for this is currently not organized in a way that can be quickly assimilated. Where is the command for 'ricochet' for example? Or 'lyrical'?

One way to do this would be for VSL to write a Sibelius notation example in which all the commands are written in, so that if it is played in Sibelius with the library loaded the user can check the movement of the articulations on the dimension tree while listening to the sounds. The notation would include any necessary note-length or tempo changes for articulations that are sensitive to these parameters. That would be a practical demo of how the articulations are accessible in related groups.

• Hello Oceanview!

I understand your wish for a deatiled list of how to trigger all articulations of all libraries with Sibelius. I'm afraid that this would be a task that is too big for us to be able to do.

In general the articulations of Synchron Solo Strings can be triggered as described in the "VE Special Edition", "VE Special Edition PLUS" and "VE Strings" chapters.

"Ricochet" doesn't have a dedicated command. You can trigger it in a custom slot with "custom1", "custom2", ...

Lyrical legato can be triggered with the command "lyrical".

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks Andi. I wasn't suggesting doing all the string libraries.

As the Synchron violin and cello are new and being promoted currently maybe just doing a list for them would not take so long.

It does seem that Sibelius users - maybe also notation users generally - are not a priority. The detailed instructions for triggering from MIDI keyboard are much more thorough.

(Are people really writing full length orchestral scores and then playing the parts one by one into a recording, triggering articulations as they do it?).

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Andi,

I have a problem playback for a string quartet set-up using synchron solo violin, synchronized solo violin and viola, synchron solo cello. How do I attach the zip file generated from Vienna Assistant? Dragging the Zip file here creates the response 'dropped file format not supported'

The first cello note has a high-pitched squeak sound on first play; the second violin makes this noise on every note if clicked with the mouse. The first cello note noise is audible on an audio file exported from Sibelius. The instruments are in one Vienna Ensemble using VE strings soundset. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks.

• Hello Oceanview,

The file is probably too big (which throws this incorrect error message when simply droping the file instead of adding it with the upload button, I just checked).

In this case, please send to support@vsl.co.at

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL