Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Volume Changes

I have asked this question before, but have always failed to put it in context.

I compose with Finale Notation using VI & Synchronized SE Libraries.

I use step-entry Notation to create my scores.

I add Finale Expression (for Volume changes), and add Articulations, Etc. as needed.

Can someone tell me how to set Finale and/or VSL to play back my scores without changing Instrument Master Volumes while playing ?

I know there are 3 Dynamic Presets (01, 02, 03) that control Dynamics.

I have been using 03 Velocity, and Playback Volume changes without my input.

Maybe I should be using 01 or 02 (controlled by Mod Wheel ?), and leave it stationary. Would this leave me with the desired constant Volume ... a volume that only changes with Finale Expression changes ?

I need a SIMPLE solution, if there is one, and sure would appreciate the help.

Dave W

• Hello Dave!

You can set up which MIDI commands Finale should send for dynamic marks on the Finale Human Playback Preferences/Dynamics page. If you are working with the SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition, that you have registered, I recommend sending CC1 and Velocity commands. That would respond with all of our preset categories. I would use the VelXF sus presets though.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @andi said:

Hello Dave!

You can set up which MIDI commands Finale should send for dynamic marks on the Finale Human Playback Preferences/Dynamics page. If you are working with the SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition, that you have registered, I recommend sending CC1 and Velocity commands. That would respond with all of our preset categories. I would use the VelXF sus presets though.

Best regards,
    Andi

Thank You For Your Response, Andi

Just To clarify ... Are you saying ... If I Use VelXF sus - MOD instruments to STEP-ENTER notes, in Finale, they will play back without volume changes (which is what I want) ???

Step-Entry does not use Velocity or Mod Wheel or Etc. Also there would be no need for me to adjust or use any Human Playback ... I would only set it to Standard

The only volume changes I want will be those triggered by Finale Expressions, Articulations, and Smart Shapes manually entered by me.

Thanks Andi

Dave W

• Hello Dave!

If you hear a note, Velocity values always get sent. That's how MIDI works. I'm not sure if Finale sends the actual velocity value from your keyboard or a fixed value. Anyway, if you load the VelXF sus or the VelXF presets, the velocity values get overruled by the position of the VelXF fader. So you should always get the same dynamic level this way.

Please don't ignore my point about the Finale Human Playback Preferences/Dynamics page. Otherwise playback of dynamics will most likely be incorrect.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library