Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,757 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,369 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• Slurs Playing as Etouffe

Hi all,

I am probably missing something obvious here, so any help is appreciated.

I am using Sibelius with Concert Guitar from the SYNCHRON-ized Plucked Instruments collection. When I notate a slur in Sibelius, Vienna Ensemble plays the notes etouffe. I can “correct” this by entering “~normal” in Sibelius. However, it seems like this shouldn’t be necessary. Also I don’t want “normal.” I want slur/legato.

Thanks for any help!

Best,
    Michael

• andiA andi moved this topic from SYNCHRON-ized Series on
  • Hello Michael!

The problem you describe can have different reasons. Did you check out our Sibelius Integration manual yet?
    Sibelius Integration

How to use Sound Sets and make Sibelius Playback Configurations

https://www.vsl.info/en/tutorials/guides/sibelius-integration/plucked

Troubleshooting

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thank you, Andi, for the reply.

I reinstalled the Sibelius Sound Sets, and I reinstalled the Plucked Instruments collection. (Both were reinstalled using Vienna Assistant.)

Still, the slur notations result in notes being played etouffe for the Concert Guitar. I can see this occurring in Synchron Player. “Normal” notes appear in Synchron Player as Long notes, Ringing, No vibrato, Sustain. The slurred notes appear as Long specials, Ringing, Etouffe. So the slur appears to be triggering this change for whatever reason.

Generally, slurs seem to work correctly with other instruments. Interestingly, for other instruments in the Plucked Instruments collection, slurs seem to behave somewhat unexpectedly. For the Upright Bass, the slurs seem to have no effect (no change in Synchron Player). For the Overdrive Guitar, they seem to result in an extreme vibrato with harmonics (Synchron Player shows Harmonics, Normal, Artificial fifth), rather than a slur.

Thanks for any additional help!

Best,
    Michael

• Hello Michael!

All possible reasons that come to my mind are listed in the Troubleshooting section of the "Sibelius Integration" tutorial.
    https://www.vsl.info/tutorials/guides/sibelius-integration/troubleshooting

If you can't find a solution there, please send the following screenshots to support@vsl.co.at.
    - Sibelius "Add or Remove Instruments" menu
    - Sibelius mixer
    - Sibelius Playback Devices menu
    - Sibelius Manual Sound Sets page of all loaded devices
    - Vienna Ensemble showing one of the instruments that doesn't work correctly

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library